PDA

View Full Version : No more fords!

supercuts
11-16-2010, 06:05 PM
here is why i will not buy another Ford

after having over 12 ford trucks, and currently 3 superduty diesels, i cannot catch a break. my 08 was in the shop over 30-40 times, ive been refused serviceved, laughed at, lied to, you name it. after winning my first lemon lawn case i would have lost $13,500 for mileage. i appealed it to lose my 2nd lemon law case to hear my truck doesnt qualify.

my 00 f550 in may of 07 with 57K miles had its fuel tank delaminated causing $3500 in damage to the diesel injection system. now, 14K miles and 2 1/2 years later, it happened again after Ford of Branford (CT) said i would never have to worry about my tank again.

my 00 f350 knock on wood has been the lucky of the 3. but every 2 years im replacign relays and still doing 4-5K in repairs a year too it, only more rutine including ball joints and front wheel bearings every 2 years as well.

bottom line, im done with Ford. they have left me hanging. before my lemon law they told me they were not fixing the brakes on my 08 that were locked up because "they were giving me a brand new truck". 56 days later i finally got tired of my rotors glowing red and pused to find out what was going on. thier responce, we changed our mind.

not like people are trouble free with other brands, hopefully they arent treated this way. all three have their flaws, so which is least of the 3 evils??? what consumer protection told me is that ford is having alot of issues helping customers and perhaps they should have taken some bail-out money.

just venting....tired of it all, especially losing my leaf vac dump truck the most busy week of fall cleanups!

one stressed out guy

Marek
11-16-2010, 06:17 PM
You and I both have the same luck with Fords. I just bought a new 2011 Chevy 3500 crew cab short bed Duramax for a grass truck. This thing is awsome ! Only time will tell as to how it holds up. I too got the word on the second tank in one of our trucks going bad now. Did your second tank delaminate or rust ?

Gravel Rat
11-16-2010, 06:32 PM
It sounds like you have a bad dealership that doesn't do a good job. I'am not sure if the OTHER brands are any better. I know one company that has 20 bush trucks all Fords never go to the dealer so they never have problems the have a company mechanic.

Dealer never works on my truck only when it is something that needs the computer, any other repairs I do myself, I'am not paying 120 per hour shop rate at Ford. If I had brake issues like you have had I would have repaired it myself.

Replace any heavier trucks like the F-550 size with a Freightliner or anything you need a truck to tow with and buy a small pick up for running around in.

stan the man
11-16-2010, 06:44 PM
i have 4 fords 1999 250 sd 2008 250 sd not problem. 2010 f450 i have 4 months. 2010 f350 i have had 1 weeks.

supercuts
11-16-2010, 06:55 PM
You and I both have the same luck with Fords. I just bought a new 2011 Chevy 3500 crew cab short bed Duramax for a grass truck. This thing is awsome ! Only time will tell as to how it holds up. I too got the word on the second tank in one of our trucks going bad now. Did your second tank delaminate or rust ?

2nd tank is all rusted/rotted on the inside

supercuts
11-16-2010, 07:00 PM
It sounds like you have a bad dealership that doesn't do a good job. I'am not sure if the OTHER brands are any better. I know one company that has 20 bush trucks all Fords never go to the dealer so they never have problems the have a company mechanic.

Dealer never works on my truck only when it is something that needs the computer, any other repairs I do myself, I'am not paying 120 per hour shop rate at Ford. If I had brake issues like you have had I would have repaired it myself.

Replace any heavier trucks like the F-550 size with a Freightliner or anything you need a truck to tow with and buy a small pick up for running around in.

ive been too numerous dealers. brakes are under warranty, im not turning a wrench when its covered. unlike you, i have to pay the $120/hr not only because i dont have the time to fix it, because we are booked with work, i dont know enough fix things beyond the obvious or simple like breaks. replacing my trucks with freightliners may be a good idea but it costs money. i thought by having my truck fixed rigth the first time was going to be the last for a fuel tank. 2 1/2 years for it to rot out is crap. i should not have to deal with that.

look at ford making people pay for radiators on the 08's+ just out of warranty eventhough they know they were all made bad anyhow. my buddy is on his 2nd. look up ford-trucks.com, people have had 4+ radiators. Ford sucks

supercuts
11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
i have 4 fords 1999 250 sd 2008 250 sd not problem. 2010 f450 i have 4 months. 2010 f350 i have had 1 weeks.

count your blessings and play the lotto!

stan the man
11-16-2010, 07:07 PM
count your blessings and play the lotto!

1999 no problem and 2008 no problem. hoping no problem now with 2 2010. plowing season is coming. be seating on pins needle now.

rstan2010
11-16-2010, 07:20 PM
1999 no problem and 2008 no problem. hoping no problem now with 2 2010. plowing season is coming. be seating on pins needle now.

Or the 2010's or 2008 diesels?

Marek
11-16-2010, 07:26 PM
The fuel problems are on trucks with the 40 gallon tank behind the rear axle. Its still the same tank in the 2011 450 and 550 trucks. The tank can be had for $750 , most all larger dealerships will have them in stock. Also look at the drain plug on the fuel filter on the 6.0-6.4 motors they become eaten away,Ford claims its the fuel , same as they blame the tanks on. The funny thing is Dodge and Chevy arent having fuel related problems. We have an 02 550 that has never been right from the factory,it had what Ford called a rough idle. Truck was always low on power,right before it went out of warranty they had the truck for 68 days trying to fix it picked it up and the power was better after all new injectors a new fuel tank , fuel pump and a few k in other crap, but still had the same rough idle.The motor made it another 10k miles before the engine went out.Even though the mechanic told the engineers at ford it was a bad moter before it was out of warranty,they put a band aid on it to get it out of thier hands. Might dump my 07 6.0 lariet for another new Duramax.

stan the man
11-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Or the 2010's or 2008 diesels?

both 2010 2008 are

stan the man
11-16-2010, 07:35 PM
did they say is there ant something you can do for rust in the tank

rstan2010
11-16-2010, 07:42 PM
both 2010 2008 are

Did you do the dpf delete on any of them? How many miles on the 2008?

stan the man
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
Did you do the dpf delete on any of them? How many miles on the 2008?

35,358 miles

Marek
11-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Its easy to check for, just watch your fuel filters or and with the dump bed up you can pull the top off the tank and look inside with a flash light or run your finger around the top of the tank. Now Fords new idea is that all the tanks must be filled up all the way before they sit. Now they are saying its the vapor coming off the fuel that is rusting out the new tanks. On the earlier tanks they said the fuel was mixed w/ bio and causing the delamination problems.

stan the man
11-16-2010, 08:00 PM
Its easy to check for, just watch your fuel filters or and with the dump bed up you can pull the top off the tank and look inside with a flash light or run your finger around the top of the tank. Now Fords new idea is that all the tanks must be filled up all the way before they sit. Now they are saying its the vapor coming off the fuel that is rusting out the new tanks. On the earlier tanks they said the fuel was mixed w/ bio and causing the delamination problems.

thank for the information. i do keep my truck full and i will have to check 2008 tank tomorrow. raining tonight and rain tomorrow. so i can that in the barn. all my trucks are the barn at night.with the farm animals. my goats get on my trailer and lawn mower seats .

meets1
11-16-2010, 10:48 PM
I switched to all GM in 2007. I have had all 3 brands - now with 5 gm trucks. So far nothing. I was tired of the ford hassle at the garage cuz it was always something. Now they look tough and mean and I can see why people buy them but until my gm line up gives me that much trouble all time then it will be time for me to start looking at the other two again.

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
11-16-2010, 11:48 PM
My dad runs an older 99 550 (towtruck) 7.3 155000k only replaced the clutch box original everything. Truck is loud but a beast with a new paint job looks and runs showroom mint. My 04 Dump 60000k no major problems outa warranty(1 injector) alternator ,Discs.Under warranty lots of problems like 13500.00 in issues! Great truck never the less! My 03's gas jobbers good strong no major prob 90,000. 112,000. Just ball joints every 20000. 05 f550 35000k no probs outa warranty. Buncha recalls though back earlier! Fords are #1 alwaysBIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

lawn king
11-17-2010, 05:45 AM
Someday kubota will build trucks and we will all be happy, until that day i will run duramax & isuzu diesels.

supercuts
11-17-2010, 08:40 AM

i agree its easy to check for, but after 2 1/2 years since my last new tank??? i wouldnt even think to check it, i shouldnt have to is my point. i do store it with a full tank, or so i thought, i guess if there is a 1/4" gap at the top its a 1/4" too much. this winter it will sit with fuel up the fill pipe. what a joke. does chevy and dodge have these simple problems?

you would think after 100 years in business they would know how to make a fuel tank!

F-ford

Marek
11-17-2010, 08:47 AM
No other truck has the fuel relared problems that Ford diesels do ! Not Dodge,GM,Isuzu. I was looking at building a new 550 truck until no one at Ford would A. stand behind thier product and B. They are still using the same 40 gallon aft fuel tank that they know will cause problems . They are also having problems with the fuel filler necks rusting out so keep an eye on that as a potential problem also.

stan the man
11-17-2010, 08:55 AM
Someday kubota will build trucks and we will all be happy, until that day i will run duramax & isuzu diesels.

i love my kubota. i do a lot all of field mowing. i do all field mowing for Poland spring bottling company all around Maine. i use it on my farm. the 1st one that i had was l3130. now i have l4400 with cab a/c and heat. heat for winter

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
11-17-2010, 09:37 AM
I like Dodge trucks best Deisel of any of the three.
Try an isuzu truck.

G. Ramey
11-17-2010, 11:00 AM
We had seven 6.0 liter f350s although we only used 4 at a time. The other three were spares just so we could keep four on the road at one time. It wasn't unusual to have two or three in the shop at once. We switched to 4500 chevrolets in 2007 and cut our maintenance cost by probably 80%. I love the look of the new f350s but wouldn't risk buying one. My personal truck is a 2000 2500 silverado. In 11 years of pulling a trailer all I,ve done to it is wheel bearings up front. two window motors on the drivers side and spark plugs once.

Brad Ent
11-17-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm dumping my Silverado and going back to a Ford

LB1234
11-17-2010, 04:07 PM
LOL...I just made the switch from GM to Ford. After three GMs, never again! To many stupid penny pinching issues.

bottom line....they all suck!

Marek
11-17-2010, 04:27 PM
they all have thier own problems. But when you get into all the expensive diesel repairs GM seems to have less problems. It used to be that Ford built a heavyer duty truck and had bigger brakes but times have changed , this 2011 truck is very impresive .Tuesday I sent a driver to pick up sand and he came back with the truck barely sitting below level and the ticket said he had 2.75 ton. Wish I had of taken a picture,but it weighs 7700 #s and has a GVW of 11,500. Also look at the resale value of the big three, people pay crazy money for the Dodge and GM trucks but no one wants a Ford diesel out of warranty.

supercuts
11-17-2010, 05:19 PM
bottom line....they all suck!

yeah, ive been hearing tethat 6.0 GM gas has alot of the head/exhaust manifold issues ford has with its gas engines. ive had 70's fords and my employee is working on his 73' blazer in my shop, you dont see exhaust maniford problems unless they have headers. and ford 460's with the bosses rusting off the heads.......really?

stan the man
11-17-2010, 05:41 PM

today i look at the tank and fuel lines on the 2008. the lines are all rusted and it looks like rust in the tank

Evan528
11-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Time for Toyota to build a 1 ton! I would ditch my Dodge and Ford in a second. The american brand trucks start nickel and diming you to death as soon that they reach 3 or 4 years old. They are indeed all junk!

Marek
11-17-2010, 06:01 PM
before you take it in get a fuel and oil sample to send to blackstone. They are going to try to say that you have been running bio fuel !

SimonCX
11-17-2010, 06:58 PM
My first ford diesel was a 6.0 powerstoke and it blew it's motor at 67k, no aftermarket tuners or parts and I always did oil every 3k, fuel every 10k and air filter yearly. Warranty ended 3 months before it blew, so I had to fix everything myself because ford wanted 5k to fix it. When I told them I it was bs they told me "it's 5 years old what do you expect". So much for caring for the truck, 4 weeks down before I could fix everything. I still have it because when I wanted to trade it in for another chevy no one wanted to take it, as soon as I told them powerstroke they bascially laughed and said no. As soon as the warranty ends no one wants to touch them. Sorry for the rant but I'm still pissed about it, I didn't buy a diesel to blow at 67k, F-Ford it was my last ford I buy. Sure my chevy's have there problems but nothing compared to the fords.

lawnboy dan
11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
this is why i drive a tundra-never been back to the dealer in 7 years

meets1
11-17-2010, 07:42 PM
hate to reply to this but toyota has been reliable. I have two guys that work for me with tundra's - first ones out - they did alot of driving and one has 243K on it. His fuel pump finally went last weekend - first thing ever on that truck. Now it is only a half ton but still the big 3 need to recoup and get there act together

stan the man
11-17-2010, 07:52 PM
all my ford trucks come from one dealer. they have done a lot from me. i am setting on pin and needle right now on the 2008. i will be talking to them on this and see what they say.

john_incircuit
11-17-2010, 09:03 PM
this is why i drive a tundra-never been back to the dealer in 7 years

We have 214 000 miles on the Tundra, replaced alternator 6 weeks ago, first repair.

supercuts
11-17-2010, 09:50 PM
We have 214 000 miles on the Tundra, replaced alternator 6 weeks ago, first repair.

if toyota wouldnt void the warranty with a plow, id have at least one in the driveway right now. my buddy's may not pull quite as hard as my powerstroke, but he still gets better mileage. i took his trailer out of state empty and got 8-9 MPG, he gets 12 MPG loaded with a car.

the worst part is, the big 3 all suck. as much as i say ill never buy a ford again.......i just dont know. i think the next will be a GM. i think im done with diesel's though unless its a tried and true oldschool 5.9 cummins, or 7.3 powerstroke.

scagrider22
11-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Ive got 4 Chevy Hd's the oldest is a 99 with a 6.0, Ive owned it since 2000 and Ive replaced a starter and two wheel bearings. Oh yeah it has almost 300k. The 03 has had two wheel bearings and a tranny, and Ive done nothing to the 05 and 08 these trucks are very reliable and cheap to fix if they do break. I had a 2000 f350 dump that had a grounding problem and the truck roted out in the first two years, it took six years of phone calls to get a full refund on the truck, and not until the engine rusted through. I had a 05 Ford 6.0 that was at the dealer more than at my house. I only have one ford left and it is also a headache! My dad owns a body shop and they make a fortune fixing rust on Fords.

SimonCX
11-17-2010, 11:27 PM
i think im done with diesel's though unless its a tried and true oldschool 5.9 cummins, or 7.3 powerstroke.

I'm also done with diesels, too much emissons junk on all the newer ones and the mpg isn't that much better then the new gas trucks. Our latest mason dump is a 6.0 vortec gas engine and it pulls our 20ft enclosed trailer like it's not even there. The mpg is only about 2-3 mpg worse then the diesel's we have but cost so much less to maintain, half the oil, filters are 1/3 of the cost of the diesels and so much easier to work on. Sure the diesels have more power but who gives a s$$$ when 90% of the time the truck is stop and go on small side roads that you can't go over 40. I always though diesel was the way to go but after buying our latest truck, no more diesels for me not worth the cost and hassle.

LB1234
11-18-2010, 12:00 AM
yeah, ive been hearing tethat 6.0 GM gas has alot of the head/exhaust manifold issues ford has with its gas engines. ive had 70's fords and my employee is working on his 73' blazer in my shop, you dont see exhaust maniford problems unless they have headers. and ford 460's with the bosses rusting off the heads.......really?

MY 6.0 GMC gasser had four, maybe five exhaust manifolds replaced, fan clutches, transmission rebuild, AC compressors, etc. Don't get me started....in the last 5 years I basically averaged one a year!

Brad Ent
11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
george,
How much do the wheel bearings cost you??
Hardly cheap.

scagrider22
11-18-2010, 10:46 AM
george,
How much do the wheel bearings cost you??
Hardly cheap.

$85 each and about one hour of work...Pretty cheap!

stan the man
11-18-2010, 11:04 AM
$85 each and about one hour of work...Pretty cheap!

that is cheap i had them done on my 1999 f250 cost around 600.00.did you have them done at the dealer ship

scagrider22
11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
that is cheap i had them done on my 1999 f250 cost around 600.00.did you have them done at the dealer ship

No way! The only work a dealer does to my trucks is warranty work, my dad owns a body shop so I get the parts at cost and it only takes about 45 minutes to put them in. I think the retail price on the bearings are about $150 but that is still cheap. And the wheel bearing on my 03 had a recall so they where free.

Deori
11-19-2010, 02:14 AM
look at ford making people pay for radiators on the 08's+ just out of warranty eventhough they know they were all made bad anyhow. my buddy is on his 2nd. look up ford-trucks.com, people have had 4+ radiators. Ford sucks

I've got an '01 F-150 which I've had almost 8 years now, it's got over 160K miles on it and it's been super reliable. That having been said, I would be very leery to buy another Ford just because they've had so many major problems over the years that they've refused to make good on. Examples:

My truck has the little 4.2 V6. First year and a half of production, bad gaskets caused guaranteed hydrolocking sooner or later on these engines. From what I hear, some were made good by Ford some were not.

The 5.4 V8 gasser has had numerous problems with spark plugs. I believe it was the later 90s-2003 range that would "spit them out" causing massive head damage, and the 2004-2008 range, it's nearly impossible to change the spark plugs on that engine without them breaking. You WILL break at least several off in the head, causing most people to pony up an absurd amount of dough to the dealership to change them.

I think it was the 6.0 or maybe 6.4 diesel that lots of guys call the "hand grenade under the hood" or something similar due to all kinds of problems which eventually led to the split between Ford & International. Apparently the fuel tanks on their diesels have issues as well?

There is a common problem on my body style causing the rear cab window to leak which is a huge PITA to fix. Ford ball joints need to be replaced OFTEN. The list goes on.

As I said, I like my truck, but maybe I've been lucky. What I don't like is that Ford has had plenty of major issues with these trucks that they know about, but refuse to make good on. Every brand has their issues, maybe I know mostly about the Ford ones because I drive one, but it would definitely make me pause before buying another one. My .02.

Brad Ent
11-22-2010, 11:05 AM
george,
GM wheel bearings: Autozone - $175, Dealer $375 plus tax
You are some mechanic to get it all done in 45min

scagrider22
11-22-2010, 11:10 AM
george,
GM wheel bearings: Autozone - $175, Dealer $375 plus tax
You are some mechanic to get it all done in 45min

Sorry to hear your dealer is ripping you off, and if it takes you more than a hour you should sell your tools! Take the wheel and caliper off, undo the 4 bolts holding the bearing and unplug the abs wire, not much to it!

pitrack
11-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Give Dodge a shot:) I have a had good luck with my Dodges. Sorry to hear about your luck man.

meets1
11-22-2010, 07:14 PM
I know a few contractors are going dodge this year end. They told me a little cheaper in price and for a work truck which is still to nice for just "work" he is going to try them out. He is getting a reg cab, the mage cab with cummins and a dolly crew cab with cummins. See how it goes for him.

bobcat_ron
11-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Good luck with any Dodge, my brother has a 2008 Mega Cab 5500 and he blew an axle seal, and that truck is specifically a road queen, never works, just drives.
I warned him NOT to buy Dodge, get a GM truck, Dana axles, Allison tranny and Duramax is a good 3 way to have.

meets1
11-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Dodge buddies are hoping the same. No fan fair with the trucks - just work. They had all GM in the 70's 80's and 90's. Went FORd with the 7.3 and 460 gas. Kept all them. Then got the newer diesels and even a 2010 - there all gone the end of the week. Tired is visiting the repair shop vs the jobsite. So this time he said he is tryiing dodge.

Marek
11-23-2010, 09:21 AM
The dodge chassis is nice looking. Very heavy duty, around here you are seeing all the tow truck guys switching to them. Next year dodge is going to redo thier trucks as the 6.7 is no where near the tourqe or hp of the ford or GM. From what I have heard they are having alot of trouble with newest 6.7 version.

Marek
11-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Stan , what happened with your truck ?

stan the man
11-27-2010, 07:27 PM
Stan , what happened with your truck ?

i was just think about let you guys know. new tank and all new fuel the bill come out to about 2000.00. but the dealer didn't make me pay. because i just got 2 new trucks from them in 3 months. so i will say one thing buying all my trucks from dealer helps.

Ric3077
11-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Fords are awful I will never own one...

stan the man
11-27-2010, 07:58 PM
i will say one all truck have problems. a friend of my Tuesday night call me 11.30 to come and help him out blown the transmission in dodge truck 2 years old. so i hitch up my equipment trailer went out and got him and his truck.

DuallyVette
11-27-2010, 09:49 PM
I have a 2002 & 2004 Chevy k3500 Duramax trucks. The 2002 had injectors replaced free at 25,000 miles. They only have 70,000 miles on each now, but nothing has gone wrong since.

The 2011 Duramax looks like a Hoss. The pollution equipment junk has been redesigned, Nice new exhaust brake system, lots of power, and a max tow test in a magazine GM vs Ford. GM wins ...hands down.

Marek
11-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Whats going to keep the new tank from doing the same thing again?

stan the man
11-27-2010, 11:34 PM

what they said to me that the tank are made with the same metal as the new brake lines. the fuel are make with the same as the brake lines.

badbart
11-28-2010, 12:10 AM
I've been lucky. My 97 F350 has been trouble free for the most part. Had the tank issue around 100000 miles but the dealer fixed that. Tranny rebuilt then also. Glow plugs at 160000 miles. That's about it. My 98 C2500 has been pretty good too. Tranny rebuilt at 209000 miles, new glow plugs at 220000. My old C2500 gasser was a nice truck to ride in but couldn't pull the loads that the diesels pull.

stan the man
11-28-2010, 09:42 AM
every truck i have had been ford. my dad was gmc man and they was nice truck.he pass on he had 2 gmc trucks my mom traded them in for ford. she hated it. then she went to a car Toyota camery. the last one she got 2008. she past away in June. i still have the Toyota.it 15000 miles on. i dont drive it. i am a ford man

supercuts
11-28-2010, 06:18 PM

im sure it will......in another 2 years. if i wouldnt be out like $25K to trade my 08' in, id be shopping for a dodge or GM right now. ive got another 2 1/2 years on the 5yr/100K engine warranty. ill be dumping it then

supercuts
11-28-2010, 06:20 PM
every truck i have had been ford. my dad was gmc man and they was nice truck.he pass on he had 2 gmc trucks my mom traded them in for ford. she hated it. then she went to a car Toyota camery. the last one she got 2008. she past away in June. i still have the Toyota.it 15000 miles on. i dont drive it. i am a ford man

no child left behind didnt make it to maine? sorry about the parents

pitrack
11-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Good luck with any Dodge, my brother has a 2008 Mega Cab 5500 and he blew an axle seal, and that truck is specifically a road queen, never works, just drives.
I warned him NOT to buy Dodge, get a GM truck, Dana axles, Allison tranny and Duramax is a good 3 way to have.

Megacab 5500? hm.

foxrider1069
12-01-2010, 09:02 PM
duramax all day
01-04 needs injectors replaced sometime in there life as soon as 20k or as late as 175k its just luck of the draw
no fuel problems or tanks problems
remember diesel fuel is a lubricant once fuel is cut off injection pump goes and etc
buy gm 04 and newer
or 01-04 for a good price but remember injects and 300-400 a piece and theres 8 of them...

DuallyVette
12-02-2010, 09:14 AM
duramax all day
01-04 needs injectors replaced sometime in there life as soon as 20k or as late as 175k its just luck of the draw
no fuel problems or tanks problems
remember diesel fuel is a lubricant once fuel is cut off injection pump goes and etc
buy gm 04 and newer
or 01-04 for a good price but remember injects and 300-400 a piece and theres 8 of them...

I'm not an expert, but after GM replaced the injectors in my 2002, they extended the warranty on the injectors. GM then replaced everybodies fuel filter free, redesigned the filter and upped the recommendation for replacement frequency. My fuel filter had rusted a tiny hole through it.

scagrider22
12-02-2010, 10:02 AM
I'm not an expert, but after GM replaced the injectors in my 2002, they extended the warranty on the injectors. GM then replaced everybodies fuel filter free, redesigned the filter and upped the recommendation for replacement frequency. My fuel filter had rusted a tiny hole through it.

:confused: Are you bragging or complaining?

supercuts
12-02-2010, 05:35 PM

i was thinking the same thing. sounds to me like they are making good on your $50,000 investment with them.....which is something that disgusts me with ford

ive been in touch with a ford rep. he keeps me hanging. i have no idea what is going on with my 08 or my F550 tank issue.

AI Inc
12-02-2010, 05:37 PM
no child left behind didnt make it to maine? sorry about the parents

He is actualy a wounded vet who almost died in combat. The war also cost him his marriage.

DuallyVette
12-04-2010, 01:42 AM

Gee...I wasn't bragging or complaining. I guess that GM was under the impression that injectors were failing, because of fuel filter problems. But GM also tweaked (redesigned) the injectors. They required everyone too come in and get a redesigned fuel filter installed (free), probably in hopes of having fewer warranty issues. The local dealer actually installed the old design in one of my trucks. The main message was " change your filter every 10,000 miles."

meets1
12-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Talked to a few millright men the other day. There driving 02, 04 06 3500 crew cabs. The 02 and 06 are gm with d-max. The 04 is a ford. He said they never go far with that truck due to engine problem but he said they work with and find every ford dealer in the city there working in cuz he said they no something will go. He said they replaced injectors in the 02 gm but other than filters and oil and 240K miles, he said it is still a solid truck.

His complaint was not dependable with ford. Welders, winches, torches, tool are all outfitted on every truck and that is big issue when the ford goes in. I think he said they had around 170K on that truck. Even the gm have more miles, the ford will be first to go when the time comes.

His past trucks ran around 350k before any major repairs but then he said they try to unload them.

Twitchy
12-05-2010, 05:04 PM
here is why i will not buy another Ford

after having over 12 ford trucks, and currently 3 superduty diesels, i cannot catch a break. my 08 was in the shop over 30-40 times, ive been refused serviceved, laughed at, lied to, you name it. after winning my first lemon lawn case i would have lost $13,500 for mileage. i appealed it to lose my 2nd lemon law case to hear my truck doesnt qualify.

my 00 f550 in may of 07 with 57K miles had its fuel tank delaminated causing $3500 in damage to the diesel injection system. now, 14K miles and 2 1/2 years later, it happened again after Ford of Branford (CT) said i would never have to worry about my tank again.

my 00 f350 knock on wood has been the lucky of the 3. but every 2 years im replacign relays and still doing 4-5K in repairs a year too it, only more rutine including ball joints and front wheel bearings every 2 years as well.

bottom line, im done with Ford. they have left me hanging. before my lemon law they told me they were not fixing the brakes on my 08 that were locked up because "they were giving me a brand new truck". 56 days later i finally got tired of my rotors glowing red and pused to find out what was going on. thier responce, we changed our mind.

not like people are trouble free with other brands, hopefully they arent treated this way. all three have their flaws, so which is least of the 3 evils??? what consumer protection told me is that ford is having alot of issues helping customers and perhaps they should have taken some bail-out money.

just venting....tired of it all, especially losing my leaf vac dump truck the most busy week of fall cleanups!

one stressed out guy
I feel for ya supercuts. He's the link to the thread that i started about the same problems. FORD SUCKS.... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=256566

supercuts
12-05-2010, 08:46 PM
I feel for ya supercuts. He's the link to the thread that i started about the same problems. FORD SUCKS.... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=256566

i just read yours......F ford! it got me thinking. im trying to find a class action law suit to join in. i also just submitted a complaint to the NHTSA http://www.nhtsa.gov/accessibility.htm

F'N ford, what else can i say. the ford rep ive been in touch with still wont repsond other than he has recieved my email and is looking into it. its been weeks

Marek
12-05-2010, 11:10 PM
I have been seeing alot of new chevy Brickman trucks. If they wont stand behind them for a company that buys hundreds of trucks they are not going to do anything for the little guy who only buys a few.

supercuts
12-06-2010, 11:20 AM
ive been so busy with fall cleanups i havent had a chance until our LAKE EFFECT SNOW today IN CT!!!, but my letter goes to the Office of the Attorney General today to investigate my 2 lemon law hearings on my 08' f350. The first was ruled unfair. the 2nd was clearly unfair because of an imcompetent state "expert" and a judge who questioned me on something completetly unrelated and failed to disclose he lives in my town and is a neighbor of a customer. i cannot win no matter what i do. my f550 goes down the week before thanksgiving (most busy cleanup week of the year), my 08 f350 is a POS, had a contractor walk off with $6500 after only gutting our bathroom.....meeting with an attorney about that now... broke my big toe, sprained my wrist and hurt my heal riding motox 2 weeks before thanksgiving.....ive had a very stressful month. too bad i dont drink much anymore...

jkilov
12-07-2010, 12:58 PM
I am a Ford man all my life. My verdict: they aren't great, poor mechanical quality and abusive customer support. Why do I hold up with that? I don't want to try something else only to find out it's the same deal. Ford does make a good chassis and body, fair suspension and positive transmissions, the rest of the truck is bellow average with some components just junk.

bartolini
01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
I own a LARGE landscaping/snow plow fleet of FORDS and one Chevy diesel. EVERY Ford 550 (i own 2007 and 2008) diesel is nothing but a nightmare. Fuel gelling is the last straw for me where I beg to help you not buy a Ford. My 2007 Chevy Duramax diesel has no issues gelling or any other issues period.

I will be buying aluminum body Mitsubishi FG Fusos 4x4 going forward. I got virtually 10 years of trouble free out of a 2000. Clutch trannys were a problem, but now there are autos.

Ford gas pickups are generally okay except for snowplowing related manifold cracks that are warranty covered.

I am a real person, I have a website with a picture of my fleet, i am a 27 year veteran of the business here in competitive NYC suburb, and I am beyond MAD!

If you buy a FORD DIESEL after reading this you deserve to lose your money and have major grief.

GQLL
01-04-2014, 06:56 PM
Then post it. I find it funny that we get these people on the forums that there first post is to bash a manufacture. We have run ford trucks for years with no problem. I have never heard of fuel gelling in one tank and not in another. I stand by ford yes they had there problems, but every company has.

badbart
01-12-2014, 11:50 PM
If you get a little water in the fuel system on the new Fords, it's done! Have to replace the whole fuel system. $9000.00-$12000.00.

mrsops
01-14-2014, 11:25 PM
I own a LARGE landscaping/snow plow fleet of FORDS and one Chevy diesel. EVERY Ford 550 (i own 2007 and 2008) diesel is nothing but a nightmare. Fuel gelling is the last straw for me where I beg to help you not buy a Ford. My 2007 Chevy Duramax diesel has no issues gelling or any other issues period.

I will be buying aluminum body Mitsubishi FG Fusos 4x4 going forward. I got virtually 10 years of trouble free out of a 2000. Clutch trannys were a problem, but now there are autos.

Ford gas pickups are generally okay except for snowplowing related manifold cracks that are warranty covered.

I am a real person, I have a website with a picture of my fleet, i am a 27 year veteran of the business here in competitive NYC suburb, and I am beyond MAD!

If you buy a FORD DIESEL after reading this you deserve to lose your money and have major grief.

What is your website?

meets1
01-15-2014, 07:20 PM
I am a chevy guy now for the past few years due to having issues but I am looking ( haven't jumped yet) for a new 550 truck...that said it will be ford or dodge. Really both trucks look good at this point. Gelling fuel - could it be the fuel? and not so much the truck?

I would like your website though - always like looking at pictures

GQLL
01-15-2014, 07:59 PM
I am a chevy guy now for the past few years due to having issues but I am looking ( haven't jumped yet) for a new 550 truck...that said it will be ford or dodge. Really both trucks look good at this point. Gelling fuel - could it be the fuel? and not so much the truck?

I would like your website though - always like looking at pictures

Your not going to see his website. 1 post on the day he joined and he hasn't logged on sense.

But the new f550 are nice. we have been back and forwards between the two and it really comes down to dealer support. There both priced about the same.

meets1
01-15-2014, 08:31 PM
True with pricing. I have a ford/dodge dealer here although they can only do fords but no dodge 450-550 trucks but they can service them...dont understand that one.

supercuts
01-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Then post it. I find it funny that we get these people on the forums that there first post is to bash a manufacture. We have run ford trucks for years with no problem. I have never heard of fuel gelling in one tank and not in another. I stand by ford yes they had there problems, but every company has.

My trucks don't have gelling problems. The tank problems are exclusive to f350-550 trucks with the large steel tank behind the rear axle. Ask around. I'm guessing you have pickups with plastic tanks. The older trucks up to 2002 were the good ones. The 03' 6.0l were the beginning of the end.

supercuts
01-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Update on my situation since this thread is four years old and was brought back to life. I have since traded in my 08 f350 powerstroke for a ram cummins 3500. I liked it so much I just bought another 2500 cummins. No issues at all. One is 18 months old the other is 10 months. I still have my 2000 f350 and 2000 f550 both with 7.3l. I gave a buyer for them and was looking at a chevy 3500 rack dump. Around here most municipalities have switch from fords to dodge and chevy. I'm not surprised. Most do jump from a sinking ship!

Mow Mony
01-22-2014, 02:34 AM
nice looking dodges^

Give Dodge a shot:) I have a had good luck with my Dodges. Sorry to hear about your luck man.

I know a few contractors are going dodge this year end. They told me a little cheaper in price and for a work truck which is still to nice for just "work" he is going to try them out. He is getting a reg cab, the mage cab with cummins and a dolly crew cab with cummins. See how it goes for him.

first truck was a 2000 tundra- great truck, no issues besides cracked manifold and I lived with it.

Have had a 2002 7.3 f250 since 2007, has 230k on it now, and has require some things here and there but still running great and tows everyday.

have owned many hemi Rams... had an 03 for a few years, loved it, no problems at all, sold to buy a house. Bought my house, picked up a 2007 ram hemi, loved it, my dad loved it more so sold it to him. he just hit 100k and only oil changes and two wheel bearing in the 60k we have owned it.

Worst truck purchase I have ever made was my 2005 Harley f250 w/6.0 diesel

headgaskets went under warranty, PO put in studs, I had to do 5 of the 8 injectors, egr cooler done once then failed, then I deleted it, oil cooler had to be done, torque convertor failed at 110k and I also had severe 3-5 shift flare which would come and go, sold the truck not shifting right and was glad to be rid of it. 4x4 would not engage half the time leading to me getting stuck twice on the beach until the vacuum hubs would lock, harley caps wouldn't allow access to manually lock them... It also leaked oil, leaked trans fluid(though probably due to poor repair) and it also leaked diesel which needed to be fixed a few times. This truck hardly ever did any real work, and I never trusted it to either. Biggest POS I have ever owned, couldn't find the right cummins at the the time after I sold my 2007 ram to my dad, and settled on the ford, oh well live and learn.

Back in a 2012 ram hemi now and love it. Have 2 other ram work trucks which have been great and just sold another ram 1500 at 160k with no major repairs. I'm glad so many people continue to pay a premium price for fords, dodges are cheaper new for a comparable gas truck and also used. Works great for me.

Groomer
01-22-2014, 01:38 PM
gotta love these historical threads.lol
Picked up this 2011 F150/w 6g miles jan. 2013, so it's seen 1 lawn season. So far so good.
It replaced a 99 F150 that saw 13 seasons and treated me well.
The V6 in the new one is smooth and quiet-pulls the lawn trailer with 3 WB's well.