PDA

View Full Version : Full uniform, Good Idea?

ProMaintenance
11-16-2010, 07:31 PM
I am currently a single man operation, and have company shirts. With our logo and phone number. I was thinking about going to a full uniform with dickies work wear style shirts and pants. No other yard care company in my area dose this, some have company t shirts. I am thinking that having a nice clean professional uniform will help me stand out as being more professional. Most guys from other companies i see around town look like smacked ass. I was just wanting to hear from anyone who has rocked a full uni if it is worth the money?

nepatsfan
11-16-2010, 07:36 PM
when its only a 1 man operation and you wear a shirt....how would anyone know what the uniform was? If the uniform was dickies and you wore a company shirt or the uniform was blue jeans and a shirt.....How would customers be able to tell with no one else to compare it to. If you have 4 or 5 guys in the yard all wearing the same shirts and pants you can tell it's a uniform.

djlunchbox
11-16-2010, 07:38 PM
it does look more professional. get some new shirts made up and stick to the same color dickies and shirts all the time, and you can get away with very little money spent. neat and clean always looks good. image is important in sales, and you are selling yourself.

ProMaintenance
11-16-2010, 08:50 PM
And that is exactly what I am going for. I not only want to do more professional work than my competition but I want to look good doing it. I also feel that it will help in marketing and my company image and brand as well

djlunchbox
11-16-2010, 08:59 PM
And that is exactly what I am going for. I not only want to do more professional work than my competition but I want to look good doing it. I also feel that it will help in marketing and my company image and brand as well

it will, a cheap investment too.

Mowbizz
11-16-2010, 09:50 PM
I can do a professional job in my camo shorts and t-shirt and do-rag...
Don't really see what difference clothes make in this business...uniforms...bleh!
I make myself comfortable and do a better job because of it...
Actually had clients compliment me on my camo shorts...but hey...whatever floats yer boat! :usflag:

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
11-16-2010, 10:07 PM
We run the same dark grey shitrs (match grey trucks)and black pants(fall,spring ,winter) summer kahki shorts ,work boots. Been doing this since we were a 3 man operation in the early 90's. Now we run 6-13 guys (seasonal) and look great all year matching! It really makes a great statement like look at us we are the real deal! It costs me from 800-1200 per year to get new stuff and that sucks big tailpipe but wth its worth it! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

ProMaintenance
11-17-2010, 01:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I greatly appreciate it, this web site is an awesome tool for new guys like me

f50lvr2
11-17-2010, 06:30 PM
I think when you're solo it makes a bigger difference to make your truck/rig look distinctive. You're customers aren't going to forget what you look like no matter what you wear and neighbors are more likely to notice your vehicle and trailer than they are you.

ProMaintenance
11-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Good advice and I fully agree. I am getting my truck professionally lettered this winter. I finally got a truck that I am not ashamed to have my name on.

mowZ06
11-18-2010, 09:31 AM
20+ years in the business and never advertised on my truck and never worn a uniform type shirt . Do good work and keep a good line of communication with your customer is the key. A lot of my customers are on first name basis with me. Get to know your customer. Anyone can where a name on a shirt.

gasracer
11-18-2010, 09:55 AM
When doing commercial work here you have to have your name on your truck.

mowZ06
11-18-2010, 10:18 AM
When doing commercial work here you have to have your name on your truck.

I have never heard of that being in the law book. What would be the reason behind that ? I have a commercial business so I have to run commercial plates and I do on my trailer and truck but a law stating you have to have your name on your truck is new to me.

rockycrab
11-22-2010, 02:57 PM
I think that your truck being labeled is more of a contractors board requirement to maintain your license and post your certification license on your vehicle as well.
This is so the OSHA dudes can verify who you are as they drive around inspecting jobsites.

Agape
11-24-2010, 02:32 AM
I am currently a single man operation, and have company shirts. With our logo and phone number. I was thinking about going to a full uniform with dickies work wear style shirts and pants. No other yard care company in my area dose this, some have company t shirts. I am thinking that having a nice clean professional uniform will help me stand out as being more professional. Most guys from other companies i see around town look like smacked ass. I was just wanting to hear from anyone who has rocked a full uni if it is worth the money?

sometimes, the better I look the more likely i am to land accounts, do not look like "smacked ass" but uniforms have to be replaced and cost a lot of money.
I have a blue t-shirt with(yellow) name, hat with name and colors(blue and yellow) and tan/kaki pants as uniform but have wanted to upgrade myself-just so expensive.

Agape
11-24-2010, 02:37 AM
20+ years in the business and never advertised on my truck and never worn a uniform type shirt . Do good work and keep a good line of communication with your customer is the key. A lot of my customers are on first name basis with me. Get to know your customer. Anyone can where a name on a shirt.

Thats nice, but I don't want customers to think van-halen or coors mows their lawn, or their neighbors to think it either.

Agape
11-24-2010, 02:43 AM
I can do a professional job in my camo shorts and t-shirt and do-rag...
Don't really see what difference clothes make in this business...uniforms...bleh!
I make myself comfortable and do a better job because of it...
Actually had clients compliment me on my camo shorts...but hey...whatever floats yer boat! :usflag:

Probabally were being sarcastic when they complimented you...I mean, really..."ohhh, I just loooove those shorts" really, you believe that?!!
tooooo funny.:laugh:

grassman177
11-24-2010, 09:23 AM
we have had uniforms since 1981 when it was just my dad and a part time helper. it has helped us stand out and we DO get business based upon the image, but the work is of course a bigger factor.

all i can say is the uniforms are a good thing and looks better than a tshirt with logo on it. go for it man, you wont regret it