PDA

View Full Version : what would you charge?

djlunchbox
11-16-2010, 08:41 PM
i'm just curious as to what you would charge to clean this yard. if you are comfortable posting what you would charge, then please do so. if not, thats cool too.

djlunchbox
11-16-2010, 08:45 PM
more......

JBlawn
11-16-2010, 09:12 PM
If you are able to haul to the woods or curb 2 people could have that done in 3 hours max with the right equipment so your hourly charge.

JB1
11-16-2010, 09:21 PM
mulch it, in and out.

STIHL GUY
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
i would charge by the hour

Mowbizz
11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
$300-$350 to get everything to the woods...$400 to get everything to the street and suck it up with my loader. (rough figures without actually walking the property and inspecting all the bed areas but the volume of leaves doesn't look overwhelming)

MOW ED
11-17-2010, 09:20 AM
I wouldn't touch it until it was dryer. Its a major pain to do those wet buggers. Can't answer you on price because it depends on many fatctors of my business and the way I do leaves.

punt66
11-17-2010, 09:26 AM
That is very light leaf cover. I could blow out the beds, and vac ita ll up with my z and be out of there in 1.5 hours. If i did it we, then maybe 2. Looks like an easy one to me. I would be at $275-$325 for that i suppose. Tough to tell by just pics though.

Patriot Services
11-17-2010, 01:46 PM
That is very light leaf cover. I could blow out the beds, and vac ita ll up with my z and be out of there in 1.5 hours. If i did it we, then maybe 2. Looks like an easy one to me. I would be at $275-$325 for that i suppose. Tough to tell by just pics though.
Same. Blow out the beds and let my walker do its thing, dump in the front of the trailer. Max 1.5 hrs
Posted via Mobile Device

djlunchbox
11-17-2010, 03:03 PM
i guess my other post didn't go through earlier. i left some stuff out of the first post.

no leaves can be dumped over the perimeter wall. about 500 feet of stone wall had to be blown out, 5 to 10 feet of prickers and vines flank the wall on either side.

all pine trees need to have their skirts lifted and raked/blown out

all leaves to be dumped 100 feet into the woods behind the house

hard to tell, but it was all wet leaves. a nice soupy slimey mess on the tennis court.

we have a 3 man crew with the following tools:
52 exmark rider with new bagging system. brand new.
big husky backpack
echo pb620 backpack
billygoat 9hp blower
the obvious hand tools.

so knowing that, now what would you bid. property is a little over an acre.

Patriot Services
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Maybe 425 just for the pita factor. Can you get the z back 100 ft to dump?
Posted via Mobile Device

Mowbizz
11-17-2010, 04:42 PM
i guess my other post didn't go through earlier. i left some stuff out of the first post.

no leaves can be dumped over the perimeter wall. about 500 feet of stone wall had to be blown out, 5 to 10 feet of prickers and vines flank the wall on either side.

all pine trees need to have their skirts lifted and raked/blown out

all leaves to be dumped 100 feet into the woods behind the house

hard to tell, but it was all wet leaves. a nice soupy slimey mess on the tennis court.

we have a 3 man crew with the following tools:
52 exmark rider with new bagging system. brand new.
big husky backpack
echo pb620 backpack
billygoat 9hp blower
the obvious hand tools.

so knowing that, now what would you bid. property is a little over an acre.

Hmmm different story now...I'm thinking $600 + solo...with your 3 man crew probably more...what do YOU think?

punt66
11-17-2010, 04:53 PM
Hmmm different story now...I'm thinking $600 + solo...with your 3 man crew probably more...what do YOU think?

it wont take a solo guy 6-7 hours to do that hahah

stan the man
11-17-2010, 04:57 PM
i say solo 4 to 5 hrs

punt66
11-17-2010, 05:01 PM
i say solo 4 to 5 hrs

well, as a solo i wouldnt take more then 2 hours to do that. Hauling the baggs far from the mower into the woods may add some time. But even at 4 hours a $300 bill is $75hr.

stan the man
11-17-2010, 05:13 PM
well, as a solo i wouldnt take more then 2 hours to do that. Hauling the baggs far from the mower into the woods may add some time. But even at 4 hours a $300 bill is $75hr.

i be screwed using my walker. i can not dump in the woods.i would have to haul the leaves out. dump in one spot and vacuum them up. i say 300.00 haul out.

punt66
11-17-2010, 05:18 PM
i be screwed using my walker. i can not dump in the woods.i would have to haul the leaves out. dump in one spot and vacuum them up. i say 300.00 haul out.

Thats one of the reasons i didnt get the dump kit with my bagger. I can lose most of my leaves in the woods and broadcast them all around. Cant do that with a dumping system.

stan the man
11-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Thats one of the reasons i didnt get the dump kit with my bagger. I can lose most of my leaves in the woods and broadcast them all around. Cant do that with a dumping system.

you are right but all my accounts. i dont charge them a haul out fee. how many hours do you think solo.

stan the man
11-17-2010, 05:36 PM
i have look at the pictures again i say 3 hrs to be safe solo.

Think Green
11-17-2010, 05:52 PM
well, as a solo i wouldnt take more then 2 hours to do that.

I think the cold weather must be getting to you!!!!!

Has everyone done a cost evaluation on all of your equipment to see what each needs in recovery costs per hour.????Excluding labor!!!

Per ZTR.........I need 13.00 an hour!
Per blower......I need 3.00 an hour!
Labor 26.00 per hour.......tax's included...per man

75.00 an hour is totally peanuts.............!

For me...............100.00 per hour is more like it.

Let the solo operator do this work and loose his shorts.

I was a solo operator for quite some time. Now we are a crew of 3 and I don't think I ever bid so far off the path and stayed in business this long.

Think Green
11-17-2010, 05:54 PM
We do lawn this size every day and takes around 4-6 hours considering what has to be blown around and blown out. Foot labor is time consuming in pre blowing and stick pickup.
I don't see 300.00 for this lawn.............Sorry!!

stan the man
11-17-2010, 06:23 PM
We do lawn this size every day and takes around 4-6 hours considering what has to be blown around and blown out. Foot labor is time consuming in pre blowing and stick pickup.
I don't see 300.00 for this lawn.............Sorry!!

don't say sorry mr think green. deep inside me i know 300.00 is lower. around here in my area i say 600.00 to 700.00 and i get . what are you saying total amount to you

land_scaper70
11-18-2010, 07:54 AM
4+ hours, 2 or 3 man crew. $350 to $400. Blow into piles and get yourself a JRCO leaf plow, makes short work of the piles and you can push the leaves as far as you want into the woods. Make a little path into the woods to push all the leaves down. Mow and bag when the leaves are gone leave nice lines = a new account. I have one similar to it and that is what I do and charge, no problem.

djlunchbox
11-18-2010, 08:22 AM
to answer an above question, i tried to get the z back into the woods, and i got 40 feet in, and decided it wasnt the smartest thing to do. the hour meter said 3, lol. it killed me to mow close to the trees. i know its gonna get scratched, but ..... i'm sure you guys understand :D

after this account, a leaf loader and plow are on the list. hopefully i can get home soon to load more finished pics for you all.

mowZ06
11-18-2010, 08:50 AM
4 hours at 95 a hour for 2 people. Thats my rough est.

Mowbizz
11-18-2010, 04:57 PM
it wont take a solo guy 6-7 hours to do that hahah

Oh no?
Sometimes takes an hour just to blow the beds out around the house...that would leave you with one hour to clean up 500 feet of stone wall, blow out 10 ft thick thickets on each side, deal with the tennis court and behind it, bag the entire lawn, and take it all 100 ft into the woods to dump...your a$$ is sucking wind my friend!:hammerhead:

fastpine
11-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Id be at $600 blowing into piles, tarping then hauling to dump site.

93Chevy
11-18-2010, 06:56 PM
I'd probably be about $400 - $500 to blow beds and other areas into lawn, and bag with mower and haul away with me.

ok4me2xlr8
11-18-2010, 07:07 PM
$50 per hour per person, 2 people, one on the mower (you), and one blowing out the beds and such (not you)! LOL its easy! :laugh::laugh:

punt66
11-19-2010, 06:28 AM
Oh no?
Sometimes takes an hour just to blow the beds out around the house...that would leave you with one hour to clean up 500 feet of stone wall, blow out 10 ft thick thickets on each side, deal with the tennis court and behind it, bag the entire lawn, and take it all 100 ft into the woods to dump...your a$$ is sucking wind my friend!:hammerhead:

I do this everyday!

Darryl G
11-19-2010, 09:09 AM

If you can do that in 2 hours you're freakin magician, not a landscaper.

punt66
11-19-2010, 09:11 AM
If you can do that in 2 hours you're freakin magician, not a landscaper.

I do it everyday. Blow out the beds and edges and start vacing with the ztr. I saw your thread and your doing it all wrong and wasting time.

Darryl G
11-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Lol. I think you're full of it but whatever dude.

punt66
11-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Think whatever you want DUDE. I must be doing something right.

Darryl G
11-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Think whatever you want DUDE. I must be doing something right.

Yeah, but estimating isn't one of them :p Sorry but there's no freakin way you're getting that lawn cleanup up in a professional manner is 2 man hours.

punt66
11-19-2010, 10:36 AM
Yeah, but estimating isn't one of them :p Sorry but there's no freakin way you're getting that lawn cleanup up in a professional manner is 2 man hours.

I should teach a production class for lawn care professionals. Its amazing how much time some of you spend on these properties. I did a commercial lot yesterday 1.5 hours. I did a residential 1.75 hrs and another residential (wooded) 2 hours. All long time happy customers. It was a $900 day with 3 off my list as a solo and i was home by 2pm. Procedure makes a HUGE difference. All i use is a ferris ztr with bagger/dethatcher, eb630 back, and a giantvac walk behind blower.

JB1
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
DON'T anybody mulch anything up.

Darryl G
11-19-2010, 10:55 AM
I should teach a production class for lawn care professionals. Its amazing how much time some of you spend on these properties. I did a commercial lot yesterday 1.5 hours. I did a residential 1.75 hrs and another residential (wooded) 2 hours. All long time happy customers. It was a $900 day with 3 off my list as a solo and i was home by 2pm. Procedure makes a HUGE difference. All i use is a ferris ztr with bagger/dethatcher, eb630 back, and a giantvac walk behind blower.

I don't need your class. I can outwork most hired crews of 2 or 3 by myself. I think you could probably teach a class in arrogance though. Enough said. Don't want to turn this into a urination contest and ruin an otherwise good thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMRaUX-QSM

punt66
11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
I don't need your class. I can outwork most hired crews of 2 or 3 by myself. I think you could probably teach a class in arrogance though. Enough said. Don't want to turn this into a urination contest and ruin an otherwise good thread.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmMRaUX-QSM

Oh so now your as productive as a 3 man crew but your thread with that little yard took you 4 hours. Got it. No arrogance here. Just telling it like it is.

punt66
11-19-2010, 11:05 AM
For anybody who is interested this is how he does it. He sait it took 4 hours for this tiny property. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=332306

Darryl G
11-19-2010, 11:20 AM
Look at the obstacles in that yard dude. Look at the second set of pics. There was a reason I blew the area clear and did things the way I did. I stand by my statement that you'd have to be a magician to do the lawn the OP and the subject of this thread in 2 hours.

It's really easy to play armchair quarterback, isn't it. Where's my soldering iron?

punt66
11-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Look at the obstacles in that yard dude. Look at the second set of pics. There was a reason I blew the area clear and did things the way I did. I stand by my statement that you'd have to be a magician to do the lawn the OP and the subject of this thread in 2 hours.

It's really easy to play armchair quarterback, isn't it. Where's my soldering iron?

Your procedures are wrong. You can cut your time in half if you attck it with your vac and dump your bags in your trailer and then blow out the beds and obsticles and do a final vac. I do this every day solo. Trying to help with your production. Try it next time and you will be kicking yourself for wasting so much time.

JB1
11-19-2010, 12:19 PM
does anybody really care except you two clowns.

bradseabridge
11-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I know I dont, but as much as I hate to say it. I do what punt does, I pick them all up with the vac and then blow out the beds and tree rings and stuff and pick them up with the vac again. It goes a lot faster, I only have to blow stuff out of the obstacles once instead of like 3 times with the mower blows them back in.

stan the man
11-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I know I dont, but as much as I hate to say it. I do what punt does, I pick them all up with the vac and then blow out the beds and tree rings and stuff and pick them up with the vac again. It goes a lot faster, I only have to blow stuff out of the obstacles once instead of like 3 times with the mower blows them back in.

i do the same thing saves a lot time

JNyz
11-19-2010, 04:46 PM
Punt wins. Thread over.

93Chevy
11-19-2010, 05:02 PM

What kind of vac do you have on a 32" WB?

Darryl G
11-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Your procedures are wrong. You can cut your time in half if you attck it with your vac and dump your bags in your trailer and then blow out the beds and obsticles and do a final vac. I do this every day solo. Trying to help with your production. Try it next time and you will be kicking yourself for wasting so much time.

I adapt my procedures to the particular property and conditions at the time of service. Your way of doing it is no secret or news to me. But I think it's quicker and more efficient to just blow the beds and around the obstacles first and vac it up ONCE away from obstacles, in most cases. Again, it's all based on the particular conditons at the time of service. Ok, so we have different ways of doing things. That doesn't make my way "wrong". You say that again and I'm gonna get my soldering iron for sure ;)

For the property I started a thread for, it's really not practical to pick up from many areas of the lawn due to the rocks, roots, stumps, other obstacles and areas where the mower plain wont fit. You can't vac where you can't put the mower!!!!!! It seems that you're pretty quick to judge and think that you're better than everone else. I've been doing this a long time and I'm smarter than your average yard monkey. Sure I'm always up for new tricks and tips, but to make a blanket statement that "I'm doing it all wrong" based on pictures from one property that I put up, disregarding the reasons that I stated I did it that way is just plain ignorant and arrogant. It's a difficult property with 5 different lawn areas, a stone wall surrounding most of it, barberry hedges surrunding the rest of it, tons of obstacles and tons of trees.

Back to the topic....you're not servicing the property that is supposed to be the subject of this thread in 2 hours with your equipment unless you're a magician!

JNyz
11-19-2010, 06:13 PM
Didn't I say, "Punt wins, thread over."

mowZ06
11-19-2010, 06:39 PM
and the drama continues........ I agree with both of your techniques. They both work when the situation requires it. I would not judge someone else's work untill you have been on the yard. To each is own. I have a couple yards/estates/mansions that would put anyone's techniques to the test.

93Chevy
11-19-2010, 06:47 PM
Punt wins. Thread over.

Didn't I say, "Punt wins, thread over."

LOL, are you like his cult leader? Non-sexual man crush?

Both guys bring experience and unique technique to the table. Different situations call for different ways of doing things. I've learned a good bit from listening to both of them, with a grain of salt, over the past couple years.

mowZ06
11-19-2010, 07:17 PM
You can learn a lot from a Dummy, LOLLLLLLLLLLL How hard can it be ??????????
You either blow the beds out first onto the lawn and then clean up
or
You clean up the yard first if it is plasterd with a ton of leaves then blow the beds out and run your mower/bagger over what is left. Job done.

93Chevy
11-19-2010, 07:19 PM
You can learn a lot from a Dummy, LOLLLLLLLLLLL How hard can it be ??????????
You either blow the beds out first onto the lawn and then clean up
or
You clean up the yard first if it is plasterd with a ton of leaves then blow the beds out and run your mower/bagger over what is left. Job done.

I wasn't referring to leaf cleanups specifically when I said I've learned a fair amount from them.

mowZ06
11-19-2010, 07:46 PM
I was actually just getting on these two guys that are battling it out over nothing.

Darryl G
11-19-2010, 08:14 PM
OK..so show of hands...how many of you would bid this as a 2 hour job?

GrassIsGreenerLawnCare
11-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Id be at $600 blowing into piles, tarping then hauling to dump site.

Right on. I was gonna say 550 to be honest. But we use the same method. 2 BR600s, a mower, and a tarp/rake. I always tell the customer its an ESTIMATE and price may change if extra time or work is needed. Hour wise I would say with 2 man crew it would be around 2+ hours maybe 3 considering the PITAs

mowZ06
11-19-2010, 08:54 PM
OK..so show of hands...how many of you would bid this as a 2 hour job?

More then a 2 hour job. I say 3 hours with 2 people. Four hours if you take your time. Really there is no way of telling for sure untill you do it. For everyone saying 1.5- 2 hours your just not being realistic. So if you can do it in 2 hours you are charging 150-200.

mowZ06
11-19-2010, 08:59 PM
I can't see this being a 600.00 job. That is a little high. Then again thats just my opinion based on what jobs I have done in the past 20 years.

mowZ06
11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Right on. I was gonna say 550 to be honest. But we use the same method. 2 BR600s, a mower, and a tarp/rake. I always tell the customer its an ESTIMATE and price may change if extra time or work is needed. Hour wise I would say with 2 man crew it would be around 2+ hours maybe 3 considering the PITAs

So how much you charging an hour ? You say 2-3 hours and total price is 550-600

punt66
11-19-2010, 09:48 PM
More then a 2 hour job. I say 3 hours with 2 people. Four hours if you take your time. Really there is no way of telling for sure untill you do it. For everyone saying 1.5- 2 hours your just not being realistic. So if you can do it in 2 hours you are charging 150-200.

Nope, i said it is around a $300 job and can be completed in 2 hours. Again, procedure is everything.

Patriot Services
11-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Ok we have a ton of opinions and prices. Time for the OP to tell what he got for it, how and how long it took. Let's end the debate!
Posted via Mobile Device

djlunchbox
11-20-2010, 07:10 PM
Ok we have a ton of opinions and prices. Time for the OP to tell what he got for it, how and how long it took. Let's end the debate!
Posted via Mobile Device

perfect timing! i'm on my home pc now and can load the pics.

we quoted the job at 500.00. this was a long time customer of ours, we did the plant beds this spring. it was all nasty yews and a busted dogwood.

bottom line, we got burned hard.

this took us 9 hours!!!! 9 Fu**ing hours. no break, no down time except for 5 min for water and samich. and we at the damn sandwich while we worked!

two of us on backpacks, and one on a walk behind billygoat, and the z.

we started back by the tennis courts, blew the outside edge and surrounding wall areas into the court. it has never taken me this long to blow such a small area. took around 3.5 to 4 hours for 2 experienced guys with backpacks to blow the 500 feet of wall! i know, it sounds stupid. sounds like too long. but thats what it took. i was so angry at the end of the day, because we had to rescedule another cleanup. ( the other customer was actually happy, it worked out for her financially)

since we have no loader or plow, we had to tarp over 30 heavy loads up from the court, to the woods entrance. never again.

every spruce and pine was cleaned out last year ( by my partner, he was solo then) there was still a good 8-10 inches of leaves and pine needles that had to be cleared.

if we go by the man hours we should have earned over 1000.00.

we earned 500. epic fail......

learned very important lessons that will never be repeated tho.

now, comparing ourselves to other local guys that i have watched while i'm on the road with my other job, we are 3 times as thorough. we strive to do the best we can, customers expect this from us, and thats what we are aiming for.

we lost an estimated 3 hours tarping the wet muck. thats where we went wrong.

anyone who can do it in 2-3 hours for 300.00, and be as clean as we are, you are hired. i'll sub it out lol.

for those who said to mulch, you cant mulch this many wet leaves, it makes a brown carpet. then it is 10 times harder to suck up.

worst cleanup ever, but great learning experience.

djlunchbox
11-20-2010, 07:13 PM
more...... and yes, i know there is leaves in the prickers. they looked good there, and mother nature apparently wanted them there, as she kept blowing them back. i let her win on those.

djlunchbox
11-20-2010, 07:15 PM
more........

Patriot Services
11-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Then by all acounts, we all lost our butts on this one. I think the highest estimate was 600 and guys thought that was high. I still say estimating is the strongest skill you can have in this business. At least enjoy your Sunday with some beer and football DJ.
Posted via Mobile Device

Darryl G
11-20-2010, 07:38 PM
OMG, that should have only taken 2 hours! Yeah right.

Well it looks like conditions were less than favorable. Sorry to hear it didn't work out well for you.

One question. Did you use the mower to drag the tarps? Makes it a lot easier. That's why I will do if it's a long drag and they're heavy. I have rope handles through the gromments and then one longer rope that I run through those and tie to the tow hith on my Lazer or the riding platform on my walk behind. I'll also use my Lazer as a leaf plow sometimes...just drop the deck and use it as a bulldozer. The JRCO tine rake isn't half bad as a leaf plow either. Just some ideas.

punt66
11-20-2010, 08:03 PM
hahahaha never once have i been on a job that long and have done lots 5 times that size. 25 man hours? Insane.

mowZ06
11-20-2010, 11:12 PM
that does sound like a lot of time invested in that job. 9 hours x 3 workers is crazy. I guess being wet was most of the problem.

Think Green
11-21-2010, 09:16 AM
I guess I sat back to wait for the final verdict. I can surmise that this lawn could--in fact, take some time. All the leaves were off the trees. Pines, oaks of several varieties, small leaves blended with large leaves--compacted. These things can fool the naked eye.
The most troublesome obstacle I saw was the conditions to work. WET--This makes 2-3 more hours for labor.
I am glad you got it done...................9hours......man that is a disaster, but I don't know how much rainfall you have had last couple of weeks. For me, the customer wouldn't allow such heavy equipment on their lawn for fear of rutting and sliding. So, it would be like hand raking a lawn and using tarps.
So the final verdict is.............."Bid em like you are going to Rake em by hand!"--chances are you will.
If the conditions were dry--it would be possible that you could have been in and out in under 4-5 hours.
With daylight savings time in full effect--we are lucky to get one good cleanup like this done a day.

Darryl G
11-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Oh so now your as productive as a 3 man crew but your thread with that little yard took you 4 hours. Got it. No arrogance here. Just telling it like it is.

I actually just got an email from a friend of mine who lives across the street from an account I used to service. The new owners hired someone else (I wouldn't want to work for them anyway). 3 guys were there for 3 hours yesterday; two with blowers and one using a tarp and rake. I used to do it in 2.5 hours by myself.

So there!

djlunchbox
11-21-2010, 08:44 PM
it fools the eye for sure.

last year, one and a half men ( my partner had a hand for half the day) did this yard in 6 hours. the difference was that he was not aware that he could not dump the leaves into the woods over the wall... so if we calculate what we lost in time, learning what we learned here.. this is what we could do.

we lost at least 1-2 hours because of the rain, we lost another 2-3 hours dragging tarps and raking by hand, and on this yard, spent an extra hour dealing with the damn prickers and pine needles.

if you add that up, we should have been out in 3-4 hours, and thats what we quoted.

tomorrow is another big cleanup, (smaller yard, but doing gutters, and plant chopping/pruning).

punt66 - i will try blowing the beds out after the first pass with the z. this is something we talked about on the way home from this last week, and we will try on this job.
if there is a time difference, i will let you know. if you can use a 52 exmark w/ exmark bagger, and the blowers you listed earlier, and knock this yard out in 2 or 3 hours by yourself we can all learn something from you. i'm not trying to be a dick, i'm serious. you've got 3 guys with experience here, that have done large lot cleanups for 20 years. what are we doing wrong? if there is a better way to do it, i want to know.

the above job started with us blowing the stone wall out, thru the prickers, onto the tennis court. the 3rd guy started on teh upper lawn with the billy goat, and blew the entire front and back yard into the woods behind the house ( a 10 foot wide trail head)

most of the side yard was tarped into the back yard, the rest of the leaves were blown into piles and tarped, and the z was sent over the yard to fluff and suck the remainder of the leaves out.

the z couldn't handle these leaves because they were wet, and in most spots 4-6 inches thick over the lawn. it just made brown mud. brand new mower and bagging system too. sharp blades, the whole deal.

as for pulling the tarps with the Z, I wanted to try this, but we had no rope, and the tarps were haggard. i could see this working well, and saving much time and energy.
i hate tarping, and a leaf plow is going to be a purchase before next fall.

djlunchbox
11-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Then by all acounts, we all lost our butts on this one. I think the highest estimate was 600 and guys thought that was high. I still say estimating is the strongest skill you can have in this business. At least enjoy your Sunday with some beer and football DJ.
Posted via Mobile Device

that was kind of the reason i did the post in the first place. i kept thinking, "if i quoted the job so far off, than what would the guys online say?" it does seem like most were right in line with what we thought, which made us feel better, :laugh:

i've moved wet leaves a bunch of times, just not this many. it really makes the job a lot longer!

Mowbizz
11-21-2010, 10:09 PM
that was kind of the reason i did the post in the first place. i kept thinking, "if i quoted the job so far off, than what would the guys online say?" it does seem like most were right in line with what we thought, which made us feel better, :laugh:

i've moved wet leaves a bunch of times, just not this many. it really makes the job a lot longer!

I don't make a habit of bragging, but I feel my estimate of $600+ and more with a 3 man crew was pretty close...judging by the conditions you posted.
And still mr.pun66 says you're time on the job was insane and inefficient by his "expert" standards...as he "does this every day"
What does he think we all do here "every day?"
I just don't get the arrogance of some people in this business...2 hours my a$$
He'll most likely, just come back and post "hahahahaa" and repeat his unrealistic rantings, even though the reality of the job has come to light...I think you are a very patient man to actually listen to his rantings and say you will try his method.
You're a better man than I...:usflag:

mowZ06
11-21-2010, 11:05 PM
It's obvious what cost you your time.
Wet Leaves
Not being able to pull the tarps with the mower
Not being able to bag with the mower and dump on the tarp its self
On jobs like this when DRY I always blow out the beds first,then start bagging,dumping on extra large tarps some times I have multiple tarps lined up to dump on and then I hook them togather like a train and pull them out with my Lazer. I have some yards that way way off the street and this seems to work. I also have a perminate cable locked on my lazers back frame with a large brass disconect hook that I can attach my main tarp to that has a heavy duty rope going thru the eyelets. You might have done it this way before but if not give it a try, it saves time from pulling one tarp at a time out. Ok I need to get to bed so I can do a big clean up tomorrow also.

PerfectEarth
11-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Great thread. Good story, good points, good honesty. We can all learn from situations like this.

And yes, the main issue seems to be the amount of WET on all of those leaves. I did a MASSIVE yard last week, by myself, in 3.5 hours. But it was BONE dry and I was clearing hillsides and slopes downhill in no time at all. Vacuumed up 3 HUUGE pile and gone. I probably would have been there 10 hours if they were wet- no kidding.

And I probably didn't charge enough. hahaha... Leaves are the most tricky thing to estimate I think. No yard is the same, leaf size and moisture can screw you, gravity, landscape beds, logistics, etc etc. People DO NOT want to shell out 80-90$ hr for leaves, or 300-600 by the job.... leaf removal prices scare people to death, they think it's insane. Always takes a little extra explanation and the classic, "I'm going to save you a LOT of time by doing this...we can get it done FAST. We have the equipment....blah blah blah"

punt66
11-22-2010, 05:05 AM

why were they so wet? It hasnt been raining here.

djlunchbox
11-23-2010, 10:55 AM
why were they so wet? It hasnt been raining here.

lucky, it has in manchester, and this particular customer was in marlborough. in fact it was still raining the morning we got there, dizzled most of the day, and started up again when we left. i had set my camera to the evening setting so you could see the yard better, thats why it was a little blurrey.

the time test we had planned for yesterday got screwed ( the blowing the beds out first or second)

we rolled up to the cleanup, and the town was on their coffee break, 3 houses down from us, with the leaf loader ready to go. so needless to say, i think we set a record for getting leaves to the curb, lol.

punt66
11-23-2010, 12:04 PM
lucky, it has in manchester, and this particular customer was in marlborough. in fact it was still raining the morning we got there, dizzled most of the day, and started up again when we left. i had set my camera to the evening setting so you could see the yard better, thats why it was a little blurrey.

the time test we had planned for yesterday got screwed ( the blowing the beds out first or second)

we rolled up to the cleanup, and the town was on their coffee break, 3 houses down from us, with the leaf loader ready to go. so needless to say, i think we set a record for getting leaves to the curb, lol.

haha nice. You will like the process i told you about. Cuts time way down!

stan the man
11-23-2010, 12:07 PM
haha nice. You will like the process i told you about. Cuts time way down!

i do it your way a lot and dose save time.

StihlBR600
11-23-2010, 02:28 PM
I would charge $350 minimum. $450 to take them away

Patriot Services
11-23-2010, 02:34 PM
I would charge $350 minimum. $450 to take them away
Did you read the whole thread? It ended up taking a crew of 3 nine hours and was wet miserable work.
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
11-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Did you read the whole thread? It ended up taking a crew of 3 nine hours and was wet miserable work.
Posted via Mobile Device

yea, but he should have waited for it to dry out. Do the small yards on the cleanup list if you must work wet. It has not rained here in CT in a while. Everything is dry.

ajslands
11-23-2010, 04:32 PM
700-1200$.......
Posted via Mobile Device

mowZ06
11-23-2010, 05:37 PM
700-1200$.......
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah now your talking 1200.00 WOWWWWWW You must have some ultra rich customers if you can get 1200 for a job like that.

Darryl G
11-23-2010, 06:48 PM
Assuming it's not still raining, I dry leaves sometimes. Blow them a bit to get them unstuck and let them dry a bit while I go do something else and then come back and turn them a little and let them dry some more. It's surprising how fast they'll dry out.

If I do have to pick up wet leaves with the mower, I don't grind them first like I would if they're dry. But that's exactly why I try to do the getting while the getting is good and do my regular accounts 2 or 3 times instead of waiting until all the leaves fall.

djlunchbox
11-23-2010, 09:19 PM
waiting until they were dry would have been great! except that job had to be done that day to our scheduling. i had mentioned that we had to reschedule another job that we had planned later that day. we set aside a whole day, and that took close to 6 hours there.
i will never ever underestimate a leaf cleanup again. the 3 of us just can't leave a yard looking like crap and charge decent money. a fall cleanup in my eyes has to leave the yard 99% free of debris. if i run the Z over all the damn crap people leave in they're lawns, it looks just as bad as leaves. i hate little sticks and acorns all over. i think after this season, our company has a much better outlook for 2011, as far as how we all work together, what our machines can do, and what we need for fall 2011. i'll tell you this much, we're seriously going after a leaf plow or 2, gonna fix that jrco dethatcher for our metro, and getting a loader. we just got lucky at these few jobs i've spoke of, because they had woods. the rest had to be taken to the landfill.

if anyone is interested in some pics ( i know i always like pics) i think i will start a thread in the pics section with these pics here and some others.

punt66
11-24-2010, 06:35 AM
waiting until they were dry would have been great! except that job had to be done that day to our scheduling. i had mentioned that we had to reschedule another job that we had planned later that day. we set aside a whole day, and that took close to 6 hours there.
i will never ever underestimate a leaf cleanup again. the 3 of us just can't leave a yard looking like crap and charge decent money. a fall cleanup in my eyes has to leave the yard 99% free of debris. if i run the Z over all the damn crap people leave in they're lawns, it looks just as bad as leaves. i hate little sticks and acorns all over. i think after this season, our company has a much better outlook for 2011, as far as how we all work together, what our machines can do, and what we need for fall 2011. i'll tell you this much, we're seriously going after a leaf plow or 2, gonna fix that jrco dethatcher for our metro, and getting a loader. we just got lucky at these few jobs i've spoke of, because they had woods. the rest had to be taken to the landfill.

if anyone is interested in some pics ( i know i always like pics) i think i will start a thread in the pics section with these pics here and some others.
so thid is your first year? Just a note. I sold my vac because i found a more effiecient way to load leaves with a bagger. With a loader you have to work the leaves to it and then work the leaves with the loader. That eats up time. I found its much quicker to load into your truck right from your bagger. I am not criticizing you. I am trying to tell yoiu how to save time. Also leaf plows can be good if your pushing into the woods. But unless you have a 80hp vac you will not like sucking up piles of leaves compacted by the plow. Put a jrco dethatcher on the front of a z with a vac and unload into the truck. That is the quickest way and leaves the yard manicured. If you have an area heave with acorns just blow/rake them up and open your bagger and throw them in the bags. I kid you not. You get this down to a science you will not believe the time you save. When i first started i struggled through long cleanups. Not anymore.

djlunchbox
11-26-2010, 05:57 PM
so thid is your first year? Just a note. I sold my vac because i found a more effiecient way to load leaves with a bagger. With a loader you have to work the leaves to it and then work the leaves with the loader. That eats up time. I found its much quicker to load into your truck right from your bagger. I am not criticizing you. I am trying to tell yoiu how to save time. Also leaf plows can be good if your pushing into the woods. But unless you have a 80hp vac you will not like sucking up piles of leaves compacted by the plow. Put a jrco dethatcher on the front of a z with a vac and unload into the truck. That is the quickest way and leaves the yard manicured. If you have an area heave with acorns just blow/rake them up and open your bagger and throw them in the bags. I kid you not. You get this down to a science you will not believe the time you save. When i first started i struggled through long cleanups. Not anymore.

this is MY first year along with my father. we have a partner who is a good friend of mine, he has had his own lawncare business for a few years, so we merged accounts. we're not new to sucky cleanups tho. my fathers house has over an acre of property loaded with maples, birch, crab apple, you name it. We started the company a few months ago as a complete career change for him. so one full timer, and 2 part timers. we've had good luck so far. it's gotten bigger than we thought already. we had more replies to our ads than we thought we would.

i'm suprised i never thought to put the acorns into the bagger. it makes sense, lol. on those lawns, the z is usually mowing another part of the lawn, while we rake up the acorns. we just use big green for that. (the 60 gal tubs)

as far as the bagger right into the truck, i hear you. we've been doing that.
the exmark fills so quick tho, it almost seems quicker to mount a plow on it, put the thatcher onto our metro, and run both of them over to the loader.
so have 2 guys running the machines, and one on the loader once a big pile gets going.

we just picked up a loader tonight, so we'll see how next year goes. hoping to have triple the amount of cleanups at least. should not be nearly as long to do them too. i enjoy seeing how different guys do stuff, so no feelings are hurt here. we are running slower than we want to be right now.

rupkin
12-08-2010, 03:16 PM
I agree with punt, using the loader forces you to dump the leaves and them move them again.

Agape
12-08-2010, 05:32 PM

I think I agree with darryl, even with the most powerful ztr it would take at least 1.5-2 man hours to blow everything into the yard where it could then be mowed- its sparse on the lawn but you are blowing out of ivy and such.

I think punt consistently bids 2 hours and ends up there for 5

Agape
12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree with punt, using the loader forces you to dump the leaves and them move them again.

do you guys have pics of your loader?

djlunchbox
12-09-2010, 03:09 PM
not at this time. it's a 18hp billy goat 3 years old if that helps you. i'll have some pics in the spring time. i'm not sure if you were asking me or someone else. right now we are getting the "shop" set up as well as our new equipment trailers and driveway. hoping to hit the lawns hard in the spring!:weightlifter:

lawnartists
12-09-2010, 08:18 PM
Just wanted to drop our price in the mix...I do 4-5 similar houses on a day with a 4 man crew here in MD using 2 13hp Little Wonders and 4 $500-$600 back pack blowers. We would do a house like that 2-3 times during the "falling" season. $150-$200 x 3. If it was a one time I would say $250-$300. With these numbers you should comfortably get the job. A couple years ago we would have done the job for $300-$500. We were using the expensive backpack blowers only though. I don't know whether its the economy or because were finally using the wheel blowers that the magic price seems lower now but...probably both. I haven't read the entire thread but what did you end up bidding the job at? Did you get the job?

exmark user
12-10-2010, 11:24 PM
$450.00 easy for that you can tell they got money they have a tennis court lol.

Patriot Services
12-12-2010, 08:27 AM
$450.00 easy for that you can tell they got money they have a tennis court lol.

Read this thread from the beginning. Looks were deceiving even to the OP. Even with good equipment it still took them a full day.
Posted via Mobile Device