PDA

View Full Version : head to head coverage

dforbes
08-21-2002, 10:03 PM
Has anyone out there ran into this problem. I was always told when you design a system, you design it with head to head coverage. Most of the commercial jobs in this area comming out for bid, only have one set of heads throwing out, with nothing throwing back to meet them. I always put a statement in my bids that this is not the way i would design it. And they may have dry spots, But I really don't like putting these systems in. At the same time most of these jobs are prevailing wage and have high profit potential. Guess i'm just looking for imput on this.

Thanks Dennis

HBFOXJr
08-22-2002, 07:42 AM
Under what circumstances is this single row coverage being used and are they head to head?

It is a commmon practice under ceratin applications like a 11' wide strip between the driveway and a neighbors lawn using 12' ft half circle sprays. Some times we'll have a small back yard surrounded by woods. Might be 24'-25' width of turf house to woods and we'll put a single row of rotors along the house. You have to time the zone to allow for the single coverage and it is not "perfect" but is acceptable and at reasonable cost.

I always space the heads being used equal to or less than the distance to be thrown.

This is a common problem I've seen over the years and you just have to make up your mind to accept it or walk away unless it is a private job (residential or commercial) where reasoning and knowledge can play a role.

dforbes
08-22-2002, 10:05 AM
It is a commercial job high visabitlity throwing 30 from edg of parking lot to street. in order to get coverage you must throw out into the street. what a waste of water. I have called to set up an appointment with the hospital staff to try to resolve this before it goes further. these archetects around here that design these systems need to go back to school. We to put in one set of heads under the conditions you stated, but this seems a little extreem.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Dennis

HBFOXJr
08-22-2002, 02:16 PM
I'm with you, the design is lame. Hunter had a CD in 200 with literature on it. One was sprinkler spacing LIT087.pdf. I can't find it on their website but it showed how to do a layout and would aid your cause. The next best is their residential system design book that does it well too becasue the same principles apply no matter what you are doing. That is on their website and is a quick download if you don't have it or it is not available locally. You could call or email Hunter about the first one I suggested.