PDA

View Full Version : simazine/sim-trol application

grassmasterswilson
11-17-2010, 07:33 AM
I applied an application of sim-trol to my bermuda lawns on 11/10, so today will be a week. Temperatures have been in the 60/70s with lows in the 40s. No rain until last night. I applied at a rate of 2 qts per acre and used crop oil at around 4 - 5 oz per 20 gallons. Applied at a rate of 20 gallons per acre.

I am not seeing any noticeable kill yet. All bermuda is dormant and the cold may be turing some turf/weed brown. For example I have a clump of clover in my zoysia that I sprayed and it isn't even wilting.

I know as temps drop everything takes a little longer. Just curious if any of you guys had any experience with simazine and cooler temps.

VARMIT COMMISSION
11-17-2010, 08:17 AM
Simazine is not going to contol your clover. You need to add a 3-way product to your mix to control clover. I use Simazine every fall and it is a good pre-emergent, but in my opinion it will only control very small weeds acting as a post. It always takes out my henbit that has already germinated without a post added but clover? I dont think it's going to do it. Look at the label, clover probably is not on the list. I use it mainly as a pre because my lawns are clean but it has post that always helps out, without adding 24d.

ted putnam
11-17-2010, 08:31 AM
I agree with Varmit. I have been using Simazine at just under 2qts/acre. However, I also have 3 way in the mix. Without it, you'll never kill tap rooted weeds such as dandelion and curly dock. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the label says not to use an adjuvant with simazine. I always have great results using both 3 way and simazine in the mix together.

jimshack
11-17-2010, 05:07 PM
same as above, I always add a 3 way if I'm still putting down simizine at this point, which I have 2 more yards to do tomorrow and I'm done till Feb. I don't add adjuvants to my mix either.

azjojo99
11-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Takes about 3-4 weeks after it is watered in. Without being watered in it will not do anything. Should get most of the clover, but it is better as a pre-emergent than a post.