PDA

View Full Version : last app and fall leaves

grassmasterswilson
11-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Here in NC we get up leaves on a regular basis just like mowing during the season. My last app on fescue comes around thanksgiving with a app of fertilizer and weed control.

How effective is a herbicide on a lawn that has leaves? I would think I could get 25-50% coverage on target weeds with the rest being covered by leaves ...if I haven't already vaccumed them up that week. Is that enough for a contact herbicide to work?

turf hokie
11-17-2010, 02:37 PM
I will bite,
fallen leaves are probably not on the label

jeasley
11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
I have been trying to not spray over many leaves if possible. Using a post product, I wouldn't do it. Using a pre/soil activated material, maybe. A rain may move some of the material from into the soil.

TG sprayed my neighbor's yard last fall with 100% of the ground covered in leaves. They left a flyer and told him not to mulch the leaves until after a rain, he was not at all happy about it.

nik
11-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Is that enough for a contact herbicide to work? No.

And your wasting time/money/product. You need, well, contact with the weeds for it do its thing.

In the bigger picture your potentially putting residue on leaves. If those leaves get composted commercially and the product doesn't break down in the process and people who use the compost lose their plants to it, that creates problems for everyone. Like with clopyralid.