PDA

View Full Version : Rock edging

hotwater
11-17-2010, 10:20 AM
I was wondering if anyone has tips for keeping grass (St. Aug) from growing up and through a rock edging?

hotwater
11-19-2010, 08:19 AM
I figure a base similar to a paver base, maybe as deep as 8". That should act as a barrier under the edging, but what about the grass that tries to grow through the rocks?

punt66
11-19-2010, 08:40 AM
a base will not help. Not much you can do except maintain it well with proper trinning and an occasional spray.

hotwater
11-19-2010, 11:54 PM
Yeah, just trying to get out of that extra edging/spraying. I have one of those customers who wants the world for free!

White Gardens
11-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Dig a trench and set them in mortar like you would brick edging.

Try to do it so the mortar doesn't show too much along with enough to keep the grass from growing in.

hotwater
11-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Dig a trench and set them in mortar like you would brick edging.

Try to do it so the mortar doesn't show too much along with enough to keep the grass from growing in.

I thought about that, but wondered how deep and wide to go. That mortar would look real funky if done too wide. In three years this is my first request for rock edging. Rock, brick or concrete hasn't been a request, so I have no experience with any of them. I was thinking about buying some equipment for concrete edging, but who wants to spend money on something that customers may not want?