PDA

View Full Version : LED binning, Vista seminar

irrig8r
11-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I went to a LED design seminar that Vista and my distributor put on last night.

I finally understand binning.

They used a couple of color graphic representations showing sort of a table with 16 cells superimposed on an x-y graph and stretched into sort of a diamond shape.

They claim that they use only the SJA and SJO LEDs, which are kind of right in the middle with very similar color rendering. These days they are using Seoul LEDs and say they are assembling the arrays and the drivers in house.

BTW, did you know they have a UL testing facility on site?

What I heard was that being a family-run company that reached a point that they recognized they needed to hire some outside talent. The timing seems to have coincided with an Accuity Brands/ Hydrel layoff.
And I know some of the engineers that have come up with the new modular LED designs came from there.

They also admitted that their current 3000 line's medium spread that they had said was 25 deg. spread is really about 20, so they have a 12, a 20, and a 50, but a 36 deg. lens is in the works.

I haven't tried their LED pathlights yet, but with the new lens to extend the spread they look good.

There are apparently lots of specifications for solid state lighting coming along. I have a list I'll post from my notes after I check them out online.

irrig8r
11-17-2010, 08:00 PM
Hmmm.... more about binning... different specs for different brands.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=156772

But this seems to be the one I was shown last night. SSC = Seoul Semiconductor.

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3373/ssczpoweracrichewwfull.jpg

David Gretzmier
11-18-2010, 12:02 AM
over in the flashlight freak world at candlepowerforums.com ( which I am one of those freaks), they have those graphics available for bin codes of nearly every led out there, along with lumen specs per watt, forward voltage, etc, and tons of discussions about leds, flashlights and modifications.