PDA

View Full Version : Tree Removal Price

GBD
11-17-2010, 11:46 AM
I am taking down a large crab apple for a customer of mine and I'm not really sure what the going rate is for trees. The tree is about 15 tall and branching out like any old crab apple does. Being a crab though, the limbs aren't very big in size. I'm pretty sure I can haul it all away in two loads on my 16' trailer, seeing how I don't have a chipper. I'm guessing it will take about an hour to completely cut it up and then maybe 1 to 2 hours for the dragging and hauling. I was thinking around $200 dollars was a fair amount but is this to high?

Thanks

ajslands
11-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Is it near a house? Or wires. Are you insured for trees. What do you plan on doing with the stump? How soon do you have to do it? How many people will be helping you? Do you have pictures?
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
11-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Should not be a problem for 200. Crabs are more like overgrown bushes. Just cut the largest branches off the main. The stump is probably no more than 6", just cut off at ground level.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
11-17-2010, 02:38 PM
Should not be a problem for 200. Crabs are more like overgrown bushes. Just cut the largest branches off the main. The stump is probably no more than 6", just cut off at ground level.
Posted via Mobile Device

What he said, and that should all fit on 1 load. If they want the stump ground it may be cheaper to sub it out. I think that I would charge a dump fee if it takes more than 10 minutes and cost to dump. If its free to dump and close by don't worry about it.

txgrassguy
11-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Dude, for $200 I wouldn't even break out the chain saw!
Do you have any idea how expensive liability insurance is for tree work?
Not to mention the potential for personal injury when operating a saw?
The absolute minimum I charge for dropping a tree no where near a residence is $395.00.
With-in damage distance to a residence my minimum is $900.00.
Also the primary saw operator is in, at a minimum, a saw shirt, chaps and wears a helmet with face shield.
The ground operator is in chaps and a hard hat with a face shield.
I just completed dropping a 75' dead Cottonwood tree next to a residence - took me and one ground guy right at three hours to limb the tree, section it and stack the debris - so no removal, and I received $900.
$200 is way too cheap.

knox gsl
11-17-2010, 03:17 PM
The absolute minimum I charge for dropping a tree no where near a residence is $395.00.
Also the primary saw operator is in, at a minimum, a saw shirt, chaps and wears a helmet with face shield.
I just completed dropping a 75' dead Cottonwood tree next to a residence - took me and one ground guy right at three hours to limb the tree, section it and stack the debris - so no removal, and I received $900.
$200 is way too cheap.

He's not talking about a large tree but something along the lines of an extremely large bush. This thing could fall against the house and wouldn't cause any damage. For the most part the tree could be limbed from the ground with a pole saw. I understand what you are saying about larger trees, and you are much braver than me for climbing a dead tree out. I would never sugest that someone tackle a large job like you're describing with out proper insurance, but a $1,000/year policy is a little overboard to do a $200 job.

Another idea here is to sub this thing out.

ajslands
11-17-2010, 03:25 PM
$200 is way too cheap.

I'm gonna have to agree. Except the part about chaps :D

200 is a little cheap. I just did a 55' elm for 925$
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
11-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Am I reading something different? It's a fifteen foot bush. Surely you guys plant bigger trees than that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Think Green
11-17-2010, 07:13 PM
GBD,
15 foot crabapple with a possible circumference of 6-8 inches isn't a tall feat.
200.00 is fair as long as the tree isn't overhanging the house or near utilities. If the tree is out in the open, wedge cut it......if you are familiar and fall the darn thing. Cut off the limbs next...........caring to cut the crotch's on branch unions. Then cut the trunk into 3 foot sections. With a 16' trailer you can get this in one load.......if not you aren't stacking it correctly.
Lay a tarp in the bottom of the trailer, place the cut limbs in with the cut stubs facing outward. Stack them in and occasionally stomp them down. After you get all the limbs in, then place the trunk cuts toward the end of the trailer. Tie down or tarp the finished load before transporting.
At the dump...........remove the trunk cuts, and drag out the tarp of limbs. All may not come out in one pull but makes for short labor.

ajslands
11-17-2010, 07:30 PM
GBD,
15 foot crabapple with a possible circumference of 6-8 inches isn't a tall feat.
200.00 is fair as long as the tree isn't overhanging the house or near utilities. If the tree is out in the open, wedge cut it......if you are familiar and fall the darn thing. Cut off the limbs next...........caring to cut the crotch's on branch unions. Then cut the trunk into 3 foot sections. With a 16' trailer you can get this in one load.......if not you aren't stacking it correctly.
Lay a tarp in the bottom of the trailer, place the cut limbs in with the cut stubs facing outward. Stack them in and occasionally stomp them down. After you get all the limbs in, then place the trunk cuts toward the end of the trailer. Tie down or tarp the finished load before transporting.
At the dump...........remove the trunk cuts, and drag out the tarp of limbs. All may not come out in one pull but makes for short labor.

Or just hook it up to your truck and pull it
Posted via Mobile Device

GBD
11-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys this is exactly what I was thinking. I have cut down my fair share of trees, I heat the house with a wood stove I just haven't priced doing it for someone else before. You are right in saying that it is a 15' shrub, it will not be difficult. Also, it is not near any wires or buildings, the closest thing is a sidewalk which shouldn't be a problem at all. I am not trying to be a low baller, I just wanted to make sure that $200 wasn't to far out of line.
Thanks again,

Patriot Services
11-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Or just hook it up to your truck and pull it
Posted via Mobile Device

And drag down the street all the way to the dump. Piece of cake.
Posted via Mobile Device

JNyz
11-19-2010, 05:56 PM
$200.00 is fair.

ajslands
11-19-2010, 07:37 PM
And drag down the street all the way to the dump. Piece of cake.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeeeeeaaa!
Posted via Mobile Device