PDA

View Full Version : Yard Discoloration: New Seed in Existing Lawn

jbell36
11-17-2010, 03:58 PM
this is a existing fescue lawn...the dark areas are completely new seed and the lighter green is existing although i did overseed the entire yard...i planted defiance...is this normal because it's new grass?

it also seems like when it is watered the entire lawn is the same color, but give it a few days and it looks like this...i also did starter fert the lawn a couple times and it looked great for a while, still looks good just diff shades of green

will a good fert program take care of it?

RigglePLC
11-18-2010, 10:01 AM
I want some Defiance.
http://www.fescue.com/info/defiance-xre.html
I see it is a mixture of Grande TF with Regiment III or another variety-- varies at times. "Rich dark green color and proven brown patch resistance" and it is a rhizomatous type.
Perhaps it is due to genetic dark green color--or perhaps due to starter fert. Also it could be due to better soil in the new seed area. More lime or better pH situation.
Cheap seed in the old area. You used good seed--sometimes you can't win for losing. Probably not many of the new seed took on top of the old grass so the color of the old yard was not changed. What do others think? Hope it works out OK.

Barefoot James
11-18-2010, 09:43 PM
Several things going on here. Looks like a shadow line would not worry about that. but you do have compaction on the driveway side and street side. The colors will even out with a good winter fert (Scremin green Nutrients Plus 16-2-3 with 1% iron) the yard needs some winter N and iron and by spring the new turf will look exactly the same. The edges need compost for at a min 6 ft from the edge and more seed - the whole yard would benefit with a compost treatment.

jbell36
11-19-2010, 11:24 AM
thanks for the replies guys i feel a little better about it now, here's a little more history on the yard after reading the replies...

by the driveway: we were parking on the grass and it ended up rutting out very badly so we had to put some fill dirt in to even it out then i top dressed it with a mixture of compost/top soil...ran out closer to the street so that is just fill dirt which is what looks compacted in the picture...over by the second big tree (maple) and the third (ash) is all top soil/compost...with that being said the new grass all looks the same whether it's good soil or not surprisingly...we did a complete renovation, dethatch/scalp mow, aerate, fill dirt (including compost), verticut, seed, verticut, seed again...like i said, the spots that look dark green are completely new grass but the existing grass was also seeded...everything came up and looks great just some discoloration...i am def going to winterize it and will use the forumla posted above...thanks again guys, feel free to post any additional comments or if you see something else going on

grassman177
11-22-2010, 04:43 PM
i have this happen all the time, pH has alot to do with it between the tow areas of backfill and not backfilled, as well as compaction of the original soil. in spring you wont be able to tell the difference.