PDA

View Full Version : What Brands of Grass Seed Do You Prefer?

DavidNJ
11-17-2010, 04:29 PM
There are many brands--Pennington, Lebanon Turf, Turf Merchants, etc.-- plus local mixes. And some brands have their own mixes such as Lebanon's Winning Colors and SportsTurf or Pennington's Signature Series Blend. Most of the brands have their better seeds on the NTEP evaluations.

Which ones do you find are best?

Darryl G
11-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I buy mostly Lesco seed...Their TTTF mix and their Park & Athletic mix.

RigglePLC
11-18-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't buy much seed, but I read through the NTEP scores. I try to stay with varieties that are in the top ten or twenty.
You have to read the fine print. I feel frustrated when I see varieties that are not entered in the NTEP, or varieties that are proprietary names that I suspect are just other varieties renamed. Or mixtures with a nice name that hide good and bad cultivars mixed together.

I try to avoid any generics like "Kentucky bluegrass" or "VNS" (variety not stated). Avoid anything that samples as over zero in "other crop" (quackgrass and etc). Avoid anything that lists "noxious weeds" as over zero. Avoid anything containing old time varieties like Boreal, Newport, Parade, Baron, Vantage. Manhattan IV is good , plain Manhattan is bad. http://www.ryegrasses.com/info/turfseed/manhattan.html

Also I would avoid any seed that you suspect may contain poa annua, although I am not sure where it would be listed.

Make sure you are buying seed that is resistant to common diseases in your area. And seed that is suited to the climate and microclimate (site) and conditions. Hot, cold, snowmold, brown patch, red thread, dollarspot, cinchbugs, irrigated, dry, no traffic, football.

DavidNJ
11-18-2010, 12:30 PM
It looks like the two that seem to be coming up are Lebanon Turf's Winning Colors and a custom mix. It mixes 60% for two slightly older once top rated varieties with 40% of two newer currently top rated and would be just under $1/pound and is available locally.

The other would mix VanGogh (20% of Winning Colors) with Cochise IV (from Ampac) and Falcon V (DMFT), all latest top rated. However, delivered, double the price.

This project will be a dormant seed and need about 350 pounds for new lawn and 150 pounds for overseed. I was planning to rent a Ryan overseeder and seed in late December. However, two seed firms recommended broadcasting the seed over snow in February.