PDA

View Full Version : new zspray - modify current one - pump help

grassmasterswilson
11-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Ok so I have a JR z-spray. I love the compact size and think a max might be a little big for me. Just wish it had more spray capacity.

If i upgrade I would be going to a max. Just don't see the point of the intermediate in my set up.

THought about adding an 18 gallon tank in place of the hopper(my rounds are either all dry or all liquid). This would increase my capacity, but at the same time I would be filling 2 tanks instead of one. In the long run not much different than filling 1 .... spraying... coming back and spraying again.

I use a portable 65 gallon nurse tank in the back of my truck. This tank is gravity feed to fill my zspray tank. What kind of pump can I hook to the nurse tank that would increase the speed when filling.

Any advice....

GreenCare Consulting
11-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Just get a 12 volt transfer pump and a deep cycle battery. You should be able to get 6+ GPM with a cheap transfer pump.

GC

turfcobob
11-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Why not mount it a little higher and put on a bigger gravity feed hose. Like a 1.5 inch. Most 12 V pumps willl take a number of minutes. You are not going to find many / any high volume 12 v pumps

indyturf
11-18-2010, 07:04 PM
I used a bilge pump for a boat for a few years, worked great. got it at Wal Mart for about $12. filled up my PG thank in less than 1 min. the pump was threaded so you screwed it into the tank where you would put a hose fitting and just wired it to my truck battery. think I may goo back to that set up in my box truck next year.

americanlawn
11-18-2010, 07:07 PM
grassmasterswilson - my concern regarding "gravity feed" is the lack of agitation, cuz stuff "settles". I'm talkin' water/herbicide/spreader/sticker. (We can see this in our site gauge hoses). We use Hypro D-30 pumps with jet agitation -- That way you get a proper mix.

Here's an old pic of our '08 ride-ons. Notice that one truck is missing the 400 foot hose reel. Since this pic was taken, we removed the hose reels from all 3 of our ride-on trucks. We can fill these 16-gallon saddle tanks & refill the hopper in 2 minutes, and we get the proper mix as well. I spose some might nitpick about 2 minutes, but I truly do not think 2 minutes will "break the bank".

Bottom line: It's best to mix it up before filling. IMO

Also, I wonder why you do not prefer the Intermediate??? It is my favorite Z-Spray size (with larger hopper). :confused:

Curious - how do you transport your ride-on? (rack/trailer/big truck) rscvp, thanks :usflag:

grassman177
11-18-2010, 10:22 PM
that is a very nice set up larry, very nice. those racks look very strong and safe to use too.

sprayboy
11-18-2010, 11:37 PM
Why not mount it a little higher and put on a bigger gravity feed hose. Like a 1.5 inch. Most 12 V pumps willl take a number of minutes. You are not going to find many / any high volume 12 v pumps

Not sure what you consider high volume....the aqua tiger pump is a 19 gpm pump. It works great filling my 50 gallon z-max.

sprayboy
11-18-2010, 11:43 PM
Ok so I have a JR z-spray. I love the compact size and think a max might be a little big for me. Just wish it had more spray capacity.

If i upgrade I would be going to a max. Just don't see the point of the intermediate in my set up.

THought about adding an 18 gallon tank in place of the hopper(my rounds are either all dry or all liquid). This would increase my capacity, but at the same time I would be filling 2 tanks instead of one. In the long run not much different than filling 1 .... spraying... coming back and spraying again.

I use a portable 65 gallon nurse tank in the back of my truck. This tank is gravity feed to fill my zspray tank. What kind of pump can I hook to the nurse tank that would increase the speed when filling.

Any advice....

Call LT Rich and get an aqua tiger pump.
It is a 12v centrifugal pump that is rated at 19gpm.
Not sure now but you could get them in either bronze or stainless steel.

grassmasterswilson
11-19-2010, 07:47 AM
America - got the Jr as a starter machine and before I really had the number of accounts I do now. Most of my rounds are either all dry or all liquid. I'm considering switching to the max for 50 gallon capacity, while also having the fert trays.

OR

Upgrading my Jr. in which I will replace the hopper with another 18 gallon tank. Would also add the 10" tires and possible the larger hopper.

Just need to figure out what is better for my money.... selling my machine and getting a max or spending the money on upgrades with an older model.

americanlawn
11-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks buddy - Our first spray unit was built in Lawrence, KS (Westheffer) in 1990. But it was all steel + too much corrosion = excess weight. We since have built "our own units" using as little steel as possible and relying on "aluminum" wherever possible. This has worked our very well for us ever since. Heck - we even remove the spare tires in all our 2500HD trucks. Then we took it one step further regarding our "dual-receiver" carrier racks for our T3000 ride-on's. (sorry B&B) These are merely some of our "secrets" that have allowed us to minimize downtime, increase profits, and improve safety in our daily operations.

You know, cuz you have seen our place of operation.

The only LS member that comes to mind that thinks that I don't know what I'm doing = pric, and most know how his business ended up.

that is a very nice set up larry, very nice. those racks look very strong and safe to use too.

grassman177
11-21-2010, 07:02 PM
yup, the tanks we have are both from westheffer. they are very good to work with and a few years after they built a tank for us, it had a leak, which they were at fault which they replace those parts for us.

now of course, we mainly use them in bypass mode and quick fill the zsprays, but can still use them with the reel and have some we do that wayfor obvious reasons if you saw the lawn

RigglePLC
11-21-2010, 09:19 PM
Sure, you will lose a lot of pressure and flow rate if you go through the reel and 300 feet of hose. If you put a large diameter hose and exta valve at the pump outlet so there is no restriction, you should get plenty of flow from your spray unit. Filling your Z-Spray should be easy and quick.
You can use water. In my case, last year I often used my spray solution to fill my tank by locking the gun open and sticking it in the tank. I then added only the amount of herbicide needed to complete the mixture to full strength. (Used a fill chart I printed with Excel.) I used the hose on small lawns and the ride-on for medium and big lawns.

ant
11-21-2010, 09:45 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200380049_200380049?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Water%20Pumps%3EEngine%20Driven%20Pumps&cm_ite=999362?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=999362

CHARLES CUE
11-21-2010, 10:18 PM
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200380049_200380049?cm_ven=Aggregates&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=Water%20Pumps%3EEngine%20Driven%20Pumps&cm_ite=999362?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=999362

That would be nice. But one that operates on 12 v would be nice just flip a swith.

Charles Cue