PDA

View Full Version : 4x4 or RWD

matt10486
11-17-2010, 05:53 PM
I am looking into getting a dump truck. I am debating if a 4x4 would be better to look into getting vs a RWD. I am wondering if a RWD dump would be able to hold its own while pushing snow or is 4x4 the way to go?

Zak's Pro. Lawn Care
11-17-2010, 07:00 PM
even though it is a heavy dump truck i still think you will need 4x4 because the backend will still slide around and for deep snow rwd won't cut it.

MarcSmith
11-17-2010, 07:05 PM
here in the northern VA area...TG had a few crew cab pickup trucks that were 4x4 but all the f450, f550's with dump bodies were all 2wd and performed good snow duty so long as you kept up with the snow and so long as you had weight in the back whether it be a sanding unit or a couple pallets of ice melt... or several scoops of snow from a front end loader

4 seasons lawn&land
11-17-2010, 08:46 PM
2wd will do it. Alot of people say it. Myself, I mess up way too much/take chances. Id be stuck 5 times a day.

Darryl G
11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I vote 4wd

bradseabridge
11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
I plowed with a 2wd f450 dump last year vintage 1990 or something IDK what it was all I know is it was old FORD and a dump dually. It was okay, but you need to keep up on the roads, I got stuck like 3 times and had to call the tractor man to give me a push. I didn't mind and will use it again this year just because it's a small gated community and I have the tractor man when i get stuck. If I didn't have any of those, I would say forget it, unless it was a giant walmart parking lot or something.

MarcSmith
11-17-2010, 09:04 PM
skinny tires on the dualies...

matt10486
11-17-2010, 10:41 PM
thanks guys. another issuse i thought of was when i go a dump after a lot of rain and i dump my truck will be lighter and chances of getting stuck go up. if i had 4 wheel i would have better chance of getting out. i'll just keep my eyes out, the right truck will come along.

DavidNJ
11-17-2010, 10:55 PM
There are two issues: traction and steering. Others here have talked about the traction issue. Weight helps; inclines can hurt.

However th weight can't change he steering. With powered steering wheels, you can turn the wheel and power yourself out of a tight spot. With rear wheel drive, the front wheels have to have enough traction to roll.

Note that can also be the case working in a muddy environment in the summer.

Unless the loss of fuel economy or the purchase price is a critical issue, I'd go 4wd.

matt10486
11-18-2010, 11:09 PM
There are two issues: traction and steering. Others here have talked about the traction issue. Weight helps; inclines can hurt.

However th weight can't change he steering. With powered steering wheels, you can turn the wheel and power yourself out of a tight spot. With rear wheel drive, the front wheels have to have enough traction to roll.

Note that can also be the case working in a muddy environment in the summer.

Unless the loss of fuel economy or the purchase price is a critical issue, I'd go 4wd.

Yeah David, thats what I am leaning towards now. If I am going to spend money it might as be for exactly what I want and need.

Thanks again guys

Gravel Rat
11-19-2010, 01:49 AM
Snow and a dually 2wd forget it unless you have chains with some weight. A 4x4 dually works good in the snow and that is about it, get into soft ground they sink like the titanic.

DavidNJ
11-19-2010, 02:21 AM
I may be in the minority, but I put on winter tires (275/60-20) in the winter. The rubber stays pliable at low tempertures. Slits allow it to slice through the water film on ice. This is different than an off-road tire which isn't designed for cold temperatures or ice.

While 4wd drive helps turning, winter tires help traction forward, rearward, and turning.

STIHL GUY
11-19-2010, 10:35 AM
i vote 4x4

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-19-2010, 02:59 PM
4wd... especially if you get a dually. Skinny back tires don't do well in snow. Also, when at the dump(at least here), conditions get very treacherous after rain. If I didn't have 4wd, dumping within a week of precip is an impossibility.

matt10486
11-19-2010, 04:52 PM
4wd... especially if you get a dually. Skinny back tires don't do well in snow. Also, when at the dump(at least here), conditions get very treacherous after rain. If I didn't have 4wd, dumping within a week of precip is an impossibility.

Same here, some are even tricky with 4wd. I'll just keep my eyes open. :dizzy:

SimonCX
11-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Are you kidding, skinner tires do better in the snow then wide tires when it comes to plowing. A 2wd dually will push snow fine as long as its not empty in the rear and your not doing tiny driveways. Mud and snow are a different story when it comes to tires.

Gravel Rat
11-19-2010, 11:16 PM
It is hard to find skinny tires for a dually the only tire that works with 16 inch wheels that is tall and skinny is the 7.50R16 which is a tall and narrow tire but they only come in Bridgestone or Yokohama and I think Goodyear.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Are you kidding, skinner tires do better in the snow then wide tires when it comes to plowing. A 2wd dually will push snow fine as long as its not empty in the rear and your not doing tiny driveways. Mud and snow are a different story when it comes to tires.

What are you talking about? Duallies will barely move in snow or ice and will instantly sink in wet mud. For plowing, a srw truck beats the same platform drw truck everytime. You can plow with drw... with ballast. But, srw handles better and puts more traction down
Posted via Mobile Device

SimonCX
11-24-2010, 10:50 PM
What are you talking about? Duallies will barely move in snow or ice and will instantly sink in wet mud. For plowing, a srw truck beats the same platform drw truck everytime. You can plow with drw... with ballast. But, srw handles better and puts more traction down
Posted via Mobile Device

I suggest you read my reply alittle better, I said it needs ballast and not for tiny driveways. If duallies barely move in snow and ice then I guess all of us plowing with a dually don't know what we are doing.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
11-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Ah, my bad. It seems like you may have trouble getting your point across. I never said that duallies won't plow, I just stated that with apples to apples in truck platforms, srw does it better.