PDA

View Full Version : permagreen guys check this out

wiseguyslawn
11-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Last round of fert I heard a hesitant ginding sound. Not often, but still was not right. Inspected the machine today and this is what I found. Both wheels were rubbing on the inside of the machine there was a shiny ring on the metal surface.

My question is where would you go from here. Can you get just the case?
I ordered bearings from pg thinking that was the problem before I found this. Are these hub bearings? Last is there bearings inside the case. I took a pic if that metal ring coming out where the axel enters the case. Suprising the axel doesn't have much slop, but the side that didnt get ate away by fert does have some play and thats why I was curious of there was bearings inside the case.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

First year owning this machine and def ripped out that plastic that was on top of the case.

djagusch
11-17-2010, 07:14 PM
Ish to say the least.
Posted via Mobile Device

VARMIT COMMISSION
11-17-2010, 08:41 PM
I took several flat washers that slid over the axle then put the tire back on and it pulled my tire and wheel almost 1/2 inch out from the metal that it was rubbing on and I raised my tire pressure 5 pounds and it solved the problem. Been 2 years now. Even with low tire pressure they will not rub. This was PG's solution for me and it worked great.

ted putnam
11-17-2010, 09:07 PM
I love how that plastic bag, foil wrap thingy-ma-bob protective fert-trap kept the axle casing from being eaten away. I removed mine a long time ago because I suspected that was happening and I was right. I caught mine very early though.

turf hokie
11-18-2010, 06:54 AM
I had the top of one of mine crack, no where as bad as yours. Could not get the top portion of the housing by itself, had to buy the whole tranny. Searched for weeks, my mechanic too. Wasnt worth the money to put into this machine (2004) so I used it for parts for my other 2 machines.

Hope you do better than I did...

NattyLawn
11-18-2010, 09:25 AM
I still run an original Magnum ('05 I think) with 1200 hours and the bag still on and no tranny issues. Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

indyturf
11-18-2010, 11:12 AM
The bearings they sent you are for the rear wheels. Tranny looks bad! your gonna need a new one. they are about $800.

sweetjetskier
11-18-2010, 11:45 AM
You will be ordering a new transmission, I had the same problem with my magnum at less than 100 hrs.

I bought my machine used and the guy did a poor job cleaning the fert esp from under that stupid plastic bag.

It is amazing how the fert just distroys the aluminum!!

I lucked out and found a new trans that was already line-x'd on ebay a couple years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
11-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Ouch, Wiseguy! That aluminum is easily attacked by fertilizer under humid conditions. Fertilizer accumulates on top of the tranny case and gets moist due to hygroscopic properties of the fert itself--particularly under humid conditions. The plastic cover on top of the tranny is a help, but...
Does anyone know how to prevent this corrosion or to repair it?

Can you fill the voids among the cooling fins with silicone caulk? Grind the fins off so it drains completely? Paint tranny with something? Does the new PG Triumph have the same problem?

thomsoutdoor
11-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks for posting pictures. More if you have them. I will be tearing mine down over the winter.

wiseguyslawn
11-22-2010, 06:49 PM
guys I got the number from the manufactuer and model number of the peerless tranny. The case, 2 bearings, and all the boats cost me 390.00 shipped. Better then the 975 plus shipping permagreen wanted for the whole tranny. Let me know of anyone needs this info

turf hokie
11-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Please pm the info to me.
Thanks
Bryan

redbuckcavs
11-24-2010, 07:18 AM
I have a 2006 model and just noticed the right side bearings going out...please pm some info (thanks in advance)