PDA

View Full Version : Fixture placement

Rainman7
11-18-2010, 07:55 AM
Another question...while searching the site for help on that house, I came across Links to Jan Moyer's site.

Looking through her photos which seem to be mostly trees, I noticed how good they all looked but I also noticed her fixture placement. I understand that she sets up displays above ground but what happens during an install. I know you have to use your own common sense but what fixtures do you guys use when you need to put fixtures above ground in the middle of lawn areas? or do you do it at all. I always think maintenance nightmare with the landscapers and kids.

steveparrott
11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Another question...while searching the site for help on that house, I came across Links to Jan Moyer's site.

Looking through her photos which seem to be mostly trees, I noticed how good they all looked but I also noticed her fixture placement. I understand that she sets up displays above ground but what happens during an install. I know you have to use your own common sense but what fixtures do you guys use when you need to put fixtures above ground in the middle of lawn areas? or do you do it at all. I always think maintenance nightmare with the landscapers and kids.

You're pretty much limited to well lights in turf areas. I like to avoid that as much as possible because of maintenance issues.

Depending on the type of tree, its often possible to situate bullets near the trunk and still illuminate the entire tree canopy by careful aiming and wise choice of beam spreads.

An example (Design by Justin Mercer):

emby
11-18-2010, 08:02 PM

The photos within the Landscape Lighting Institute section most certainly show the fixtures in the sod areas since the students are completing a mock up design with a vast assortment of fixtures. (If you ever want to have an amazing experience with landscape lighting then sign up for the course :) )

As Steve commented, well lights are always my choice for turf areas.
My experience with trying many different MR16 well lights have been educational to say the least. I really like this fixture along with a few other special people in my life.

http://www.vision3lighting.com/prod4.asp?cid=42&pid=64&lid=106

Lighting large trees were so challenging for me until this past October, then I learned that more fixtures and less wattage provide me with the detail I like to have in my compostions. Most trees that I have worked on are sitting in the middle of sod so bullet lights are usually not involved. Tree mounted fixtures and in ground light fixtures are usually the norm.
Hope this helps a bit.

Ken

RLI Electric
11-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Ken, did you use that fixture at the LLI? I just had a rep show that to me yesterday. Big pvc sleeve on that and long too. I was concerned about that near root systems.

emby
11-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Hi Bob,

Yes and in fact Jan has them installed and are illuminating the Walnut trees by her residence.
They are VERY robust and designed perfectly. The particular version we saw was custom made specifically for her which had a stainless steel sleeve with many components. It allowed water to escape and not sit on the glass as well. The best I have ever seen in my opinion.

Ken

RLI Electric
11-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I do. I liked all the Vision 3 stuff we used up there. We saw the walnuts lit up and she shows what each lamp does with the Lutron system which was cool but we didn't look close at the actual fixture in the ground. How did you like the class? I saw the photos on her website, the groups did a beautiful job.

emby
11-18-2010, 11:13 PM
Bob,

All I can say is that it was life altering for me and it has been one of the most positive experiences I have ever had in my life. A ton of information that filled my bucket and then some. The food was amazing too. No sleep though as those local bars stay open really late :)
Oh and we were group 2 and I am one of the bald guys in the photo.

Rainman7
11-19-2010, 07:36 AM
Looking at her site it looks like the class is only once a year? or are there other ones. I would really love to find a hands on class I could take over the winter if anyone knows of any.

RLI Electric
11-19-2010, 08:05 AM
It is only in the fall, sometimes there are 2 if the first one fills up. You are right it is tough. Especially when you are pumped up to do projects and the ground freezes up a month later

Pro-Scapes
11-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Funny how different things are from one region to the next. When you guys are winding down your seasons I am he busiest. I am booked now thru New Years and I know a guy in Atlanta that is the same.

emby
11-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Bob,

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. This year has been the first that I have been installing in November because I was so pumped up. Lighting those trees are easy when all the leaves are off and now I have to go back mid spring to add or adjust. I love it.

The class is totally worth taking even at your busiest time of year. The wealth of knowledge that is shared and provided by some of the very best in the business is amazing to say the least. To top it off you have some of the best manufacturers providing a one on one showing new products. These people are just not showing them by handing you the products but actually powering them up to show you what the colour temp is like along with beam spread and what accessories go with what. It truly is worth it if your passion is landscape lighting.
And just on a side note the group of people that attended this year were all great people and we all had a blast together. Cheers to the class of 2010 !!

Billy,

Want a helper for the next four to five months?:canadaflag::canadaflag::rolleyes:

Ken

Pro-Scapes
11-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Billy,

Want a helper for the next four to five months?:canadaflag::canadaflag::rolleyes:

Ken

Not sure I can afford a Canadian helper with the exchange rate

emby
11-20-2010, 10:45 AM
To be perfectly honest with you I kinda like the extra time as I can clean and organize the trailer and organize the stock in the garage etc. I will be looking back at the old threads to get some new ideas for the trailer and incorporate some of the things that I saw at the LLI. They had some pretty cool organizing bins for lamps, hardware etc.

Billy I just wanted to come down to enjoy the warm weather and bug you while I watched you work. HA HA just kidding around....

RLI Electric
11-20-2010, 01:44 PM
Trailers, trailers, trailers. Doesn't anyone use vans? Tommy, I know you're out there, you were supposed to post some pictures. This is a thread hijack I know but let's see those setups.:usflag:

Rainman7
11-20-2010, 05:40 PM
Saw this house today next to one of my irrigation customers. Lighting job installed this week. Hows that for fixture placement. Should work well for the plows....at least the first storm.

Rainman7
11-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Thats just one side of the house. I think Cast is out of path lights after this job. Cant wait to see that job in the spring. Think I'll get some work out of it? Talk about "Fixture Placement"....no worries here.

Classic Lighting
11-20-2010, 07:23 PM
That's a great example of poor fixture placement. Looks like a "design" was not implemented. Think it's daisy chained?

emby
11-20-2010, 08:06 PM
What a shame especially with all those mature trees lining the drive.

Ken

RLI Electric
11-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Thats where all the Small China Hats went:):)

Pro-Scapes
11-21-2010, 12:33 PM
To be perfectly honest with you I kinda like the extra time as I can clean and organize the trailer and organize the stock in the garage etc. I will be looking back at the old threads to get some new ideas for the trailer and incorporate some of the things that I saw at the LLI. They had some pretty cool organizing bins for lamps, hardware etc.

Billy I just wanted to come down to enjoy the warm weather and bug you while I watched you work. HA HA just kidding around....

We might be able to work something out for a week come January or Feb. We will discuss in private if your serious. I was going to be planning a trip of my own late winter and early spring.

In my trailer i have some stainless shelves with the gray parts bins. I picked them up at Sam's club. 1 set in trailer and 3 in my shop makes a great way to organize the small stuff that would otherwise easily be lost. Other than that and a rolling tool cart in the trailer and a few shelves nothing fancy at all. Keeps it versatile so I can haul anything from a pallet of wire to a pallet of fixtures where ever whenever.

Pro-Scapes
11-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Trailers, trailers, trailers. Doesn't anyone use vans? Tommy, I know you're out there, you were supposed to post some pictures. This is a thread hijack I know but let's see those setups.:usflag:

We are looking at a new van now but still feel we will be taking and leaving the trailer on jobsites. Things like conduit, cases of fixtures, several transformers etc really fill a van quickly. For thoes of you in a van definatly look into something like a Weathergaurd Pack Rat to keep your smaller items organized and out of harms way.