PDA

View Full Version : loosing lawns .

ant
11-18-2010, 09:44 AM
That's all we do is applicate lawns. The last few years I been hearing the clients say "we like dealing with 1 company with our lawn care". It seems that they want to write 1 check when it comes to lawn care. I can see there point. More and more lawn cutters are getting into the fert.end and its not looking good for us who do just apps. The lawns clients that got burned in the past with shottie work from the lawn cutting company's that do apps they are fine with paying for company's like mine to do just apps. But it the 75% of the new clients that we are loosing to the cutters. I need to go on a advertise campaign!
Ant
Posted via Mobile Device

phasthound
11-18-2010, 09:48 AM
That's all we do is applicate lawns. The last few years I been hearing the clients say "we like dealing with 1 company with our lawn care". It seems that they want to write 1 check when it comes to lawn care. I can see there point. More and more lawn cutters are getting into the fert.end and its not looking good for us who do just apps. The lawns clients that got burned in the past with shottie work from the lawn cutting company's that do apps they are fine with paying for company's like mine to do just apps. But it the 75% of the new clients that we are loosing to the cutters. I need to go on a advertise campaign!
Ant
Posted via Mobile Device

Ant,
Have you had a chance to look at the lawns that you lost? How does the quality compare with your current clients? Especially after this brutal summer.

Gatewayuser
11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I hate when the customer has a treatment only company servicing the lawn I mow, seems like the lawn treatment company tries to treat on a Friday when I need to cut. I make it my goal to switch the customer to only me so i don't lose mowing income, plus its better for the lawn if everyone knows whats going on. I offer full maintenance service but not other services like lighting, irrigation or landscaping. Customers love one stop shopping, you need to really set yourself apart or expand services before its too late!

ant
11-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Here is the e mail I got from him
--------------------
Good morning Tony, I have decided to go in a different direction with my lawn care next. My landscaper*I have cut me a package deal which includes your services.
Thank you for your past services,
------------
Barry the job is about 50,000 sf. Broken down to his property his mothers property and a pool area. He pays me for all 3 areas. All 3 are cut by one company. Irragation on his property is maintained by him and its in need of repair. The irragation for pool area and his moms property are maintained by a irragation contractor and are working properly 100%. His lawn is a mess the mothers and the pool area are nice,good color and weed free. He came out and asked me back in July "how come my lawn looks the way it does and the pool area and moms lawn looks ok? I said that your sprinkler system needs to be looked into.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gatewayuser
11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Did you do a soil sample of just that area alone? Maybe the landscaper did and found something you did not?

Here is the e mail I got from him
--------------------
Good morning Tony, I have decided to go in a different direction with my lawn care next. My landscaper*I have cut me a package deal which includes your services.
Thank you for your past services,
------------
Barry the job is about 50,000 sf. Broken down to his property his mothers property and a pool area. He pays me for all 3 areas. All 3 are cut by one company. Irragation on his property is maintained by him and its in need of repair. The irragation for pool area and his moms property are maintained by a irragation contractor and are working properly 100%. His lawn is a mess the mothers and the pool area are nice,good color and weed free. He came out and asked me back in July "how come my lawn looks the way it does and the pool area and moms lawn looks ok? I said that your sprinkler system needs to be looked into.
Posted via Mobile Device

T.E.
11-18-2010, 11:25 AM
He came out and asked me back in July "how come my lawn looks the way it does and the pool area and moms lawn looks ok? I said that your sprinkler system needs to be looked into.[/COLOR]
Posted via Mobile Device

I hate it that you lost a customer, however I've been in this business long enough to know these are the type people I'm tired of dealing with. This was the main reason I quit doing apps.

Good luck.

Ric
11-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Ant,
Have you had a chance to look at the lawns that you lost? How does the quality compare with your current clients? Especially after this brutal summer.

Slow Dog

You are right on track. Don't complain about losing customers, Look at why they are not happy with your service. They can make a thousand excuses and soft peddles the reason they are leaving you, but the bottom line is they were not satisfied with your performance.

Harley-D
11-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Ric,
I'm about 50/50 with you on this. I can see the other point tho, a lawn can only look so green or thick. Then it's just a hassle to pay two bills. It is nice to not have another guy as an excuse...the lawn mower guy did it, or the app guy did it. One professional is better than two so called.

lawnlandscape
11-18-2010, 04:27 PM
Ric,

I don't agree with you 100% either. Being one of these companys that does mowing/fert, we get people signing up with us all the time that have no beef with there current company they just like my guys and would like to give the work to us.

Every single one of my lawn mowing customers I ask if they would like a proposal for our lawn fertilization/weed control program. If they no, I keep asking. lol I probably ask 3 times a year for those who keep saying no for some reason.

Many times I get back, "Well, I'm pretty happy with the service I have now, but if you would like to send a proposal fine, so I can compair that to what I'm paying now."

80% of time I am able to get my mowing customers to consider us for lawn fert/weed control. Almost every time they consider us it comes down to one thing: cost.

ted putnam
11-18-2010, 06:46 PM
[QUOTE=lawnlandscape;3795145]Ric,

I don't agree with you 100% either. Being one of these companys that does mowing/fert, we get people signing up with us all the time that have no beef with there current company they just like my guys and would like to give the work to us.

Every single one of my lawn mowing customers I ask if they would like a proposal for our lawn fertilization/weed control program. If they no, I keep asking. lol I probably ask 3 times a year for those who keep saying no for some reason.

Many times I get back, "Well, I'm pretty happy with the service I have now, but if you would like to send a proposal fine, so I can compair that to what I'm paying now."

Don't take this the wrong way but I hope every company in my area that is similar to your operation run a crappy program like you posted in the other thread. If so, I'll never have a problem losing those customers to that kind of competition. My loss of customers to the "one check,one company" is commercial properties and HOA's. Luckily, my customer base is 97% residential and I have strived to keep it that way. I've never been one to put all my eggs in one basket. Large commercial properties can leave you scrambling if they drop you for the lowest bid. I won't ever lean on them and will always consider them only "gravy" on my meat and potatoes. JMO

ted putnam
11-18-2010, 06:53 PM
The other thing that has happened here is the "one stop" companies have pissed off the "mow only" guys by asking every other time they're out for lawn treatments like you do, so guess who's now getting all of those referrrals? I always make it a point to stop and introduce myself to the mow only guys and it is now paying big dividends. Networking is cheap and awesome.

phasthound
11-18-2010, 07:01 PM
The other thing that has happened here is the "one stop" companies have pissed off the "mow only" guys by asking every other time they're out for lawn treatments like you do, so guess who's now getting all of those referrrals? I always make it a point to stop and introduce myself to the mow only guys and it is now paying big dividends. Networking is cheap and awesome.

Networking is an outstanding way to grow your business. Make it a point to speak with all contractors you see on your route, builders, plumbers, electricians, etc.

lawnlandscape
11-18-2010, 07:56 PM
Don't take this the wrong way but I hope every company in my area that is similar to your operation run a crappy program like you posted in the other thread. If so, I'll never have a problem losing those customers to that kind of competition. My loss of customers to the "one check,one company" is commercial properties and HOA's. Luckily, my customer base is 97% residential and I have strived to keep it that way. I've never been one to put all my eggs in one basket. Large commercial properties can leave you scrambling if they drop you for the lowest bid. I won't ever lean on them and will always consider them only "gravy" on my meat and potatoes. JMO

Please keep in mind that that program I posted was not mine. It was one of my largest competitors. Also, that competitor does not do lawn mowing. Just lawn fertilization/weed control and hardscaping. They are by far the largest local player in the lawn fertilization/weed control market in my area.

lawnlandscape
11-18-2010, 08:01 PM

Ted, I said I asked 3 times a year.....

1) If I asked every other mowing it would mean I mow each lawn 6 times per year.
2) I do not cut grass, my employees do.
3) I go to lunch bi-weekly with 4 of my competitors (which are the major players in my area) We all get along great and work together or refer things to each other all the time. I need no help with my 'networking'

ted putnam
11-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Ted, I said I asked 3 times a year.....

1) If I asked every other mowing it would mean I mow each lawn 6 times per year.
2) I do not cut grass, my employees do.
3) I go to lunch bi-weekly with 4 of my competitors (which are the major players in my area) We all get along great and work together or refer things to each other all the time. I need no help with my 'networking'

No need to get a "chip" on your shoulder.
(1) I didn't say you needed help with your networking, but the original poster(Ant) might or others that read this thread might also.
(2) I didn't say you asked every other time. I said my competitors do (ask for mowing) when doing lawn treatments 6 times a year. That makes the MOWING GUYS around here pissed so whenever they have a customer interested in apps they send them MY way.
In fact, I wasn't talking about your situation in that post, I was for the most part talking about MINE.
I'm all for friendly competition but lunch every other week is a little too friendly for ME.
Just a friendly tip for those lunches you have: "Loose Lips Sink Ships"

rcreech
11-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Networking is key!

I work with several local guys that mow (and don't apply) and always try and return a favor when I can when my customers need services they offer. I am also in a networking group that meets once a week and that has been BIG for us!

You all should check into networking groups as they are awesome. I am in a BNI group!

Ant,

Keep in mind that MOST "mowing guys" don't have a clue about turf (or atleast around here). Yes they can stripe a lawn, yes they can push a spreader and drag a hose...but do they really know what they are doing? Many do I am sure but most do not.

I always say that one needs to find what they are good at and do it and let everyone else do the rest!

Chances are when there is an issue the "mowing guy" will not be able to help them like you could have.

If they value you and your service they will be back soon!

I would also make sure these mowing guys are licensed. I have only lost a few lawns to "mowing guys" but I always make sure they are licensed..and if they are not TURN THEM IN!

It is pretty fun and it embarrasses them in front of the customer! :)

Then you can tell the customer that if they didn't know they had to be licensed...do you think he really knows how to take care of your lawn?

:)

lawnlandscape
11-19-2010, 01:39 AM
No need to get a "chip" on your shoulder.
(1) I didn't say you needed help with your networking, but the original poster(Ant) might or others that read this thread might also.
(2) I didn't say you asked every other time. I said my competitors do (ask for mowing) when doing lawn treatments 6 times a year. That makes the MOWING GUYS around here pissed so whenever they have a customer interested in apps they send them MY way.
In fact, I wasn't talking about your situation in that post, I was for the most part talking about MINE.
I'm all for friendly competition but lunch every other week is a little too friendly for ME.
Just a friendly tip for those lunches you have: "Loose Lips Sink Ships"

Yes, I have learned that the hard way already... the "Loose Lips Sink Ships" thing

Sry, these forums are starting to get me cranky.

lawnlandscape
11-19-2010, 01:44 AM
I would also make sure these mowing guys are licensed. I have only lost a few lawns to "mowing guys" but I always make sure they are licensed..and if they are not TURN THEM IN!

It is pretty fun and it embarrasses them in front of the customer! :)

Then you can tell the customer that if they didn't know they had to be licensed...do you think he really knows how to take care of your lawn?

:)

I like it :clapping: :gunsfirin :laugh:

Buck_wheat
11-20-2010, 10:38 AM
LCO's cannot apply anything other than fertilizer to the lawns in Florida... no weed & feed, no insecticides or fungicides.

Nothing like a good application of 24-0-12 to kick up the bug and fungi in the lawn. Those guys will watch it brown out and add more water making it worse. I've seen it again and again. That's why I have a LICENSED applicator on staff and anybody that sprays roundup or applies fertilizer has his limited app and has passed the Florida BMP exam.

Customers do like one stop shopping, but most of these LCO's are Sanford & Son hackers as are some of the applicators out there.

Just a quick call to code compliance in the community will get somebody out there pronto... code says you must comply with the law and the law says you must be licensed; and they need the money. :laugh: