PDA

View Full Version : international i just bought at auction. use for lawn truck?

grass disaster
11-18-2010, 08:51 PM
I just bought this at auction. i think i got a good deal????

got it for $6000

i'll have to pay 13% and some state tax but the end so i'll probably have $7000 into it.

your thoughts?

1999 Navistar International model 4700 LP 4x2, , T444E engine family, Spicer 5-speed transmission, 41,661 indicated miles, box approx. 8 ft. W x 20 ft. L x 8 ft. tall, door approx. 85 in. tall, air conditioning, AM/FM cassette, Johnson CB, worn seats, some frame and box rust, RF hood cracks.

Additional Fees Apply To ALL Buyers: Admin Fee $45.00, Registration Fees for MN Buyers Only: State Vehicle Fee $3.50, Title Fee $8.00, Transfer Fee $10.00 State Sales Tax of 6.5%, State Filing Fee $8.50, Tabs $109.00

GunnPropertyServices
11-18-2010, 09:13 PM
seams like a good deal, but a heck of a truck to use for mowing ?

grass disaster
11-18-2010, 10:05 PM
i'm prob gona try resell it. hopefully theres nothing wrong with it and hopefully i can throw a couple grand in my pocket.

Pennington Lawncare
11-18-2010, 10:10 PM
I think that's the non-turbo V8? Split shift rear end? I have driven similar trucks many miles and they were super reliable and I've driven the turbo charged inline six models quite a bit as well and they are both very reliable commercially built trucks. The power company that I work for only uses International cabbed bucket trucks. If your truck has the split shift rear end it can be tricky for people who are not familiar with that type of shifting. Once you get used to it it can be pretty fun.

dustinnice
11-18-2010, 10:17 PM
id sell it and get something a bit less cumbersome

waters lawn care
11-18-2010, 10:31 PM
wouldn't keep with that motor if only the dt466ewould say yes.

topsites
11-19-2010, 12:50 AM
Why did you buy it?

grass disaster
11-19-2010, 02:56 AM
thought it was a good price

ALC-GregH
11-19-2010, 07:30 AM
thought it was a good price

you must have money to burn. I wouldn't waste my time OR money buying into stuff like that.

hackitdown
11-19-2010, 07:59 AM
you must have money to burn. I wouldn't waste my time OR money buying into stuff like that.

That's a little negative, don't you think?

I make a little side money buying and selling stuff...cars, motorcycles, whatever. I love doing it. It drives my wife crazy.

fl-landscapes
11-19-2010, 08:05 AM
thats a great price, especially for the low 46,000 miles. I have the same truck for my roll off in the avatar. My 444E is basically the ford 7.3 turbo diesel. I have four times as many miles on line as yours and it runs strong. I use it for roll of 20 yard dumpsters. As a lawn truck? not sure, maybe too big, although it would basically be a rolling shop cause you could fit a lot of equipment in it. Maybe too big though.

knox gsl
11-19-2010, 09:07 AM
There's a guy around here with a tuck like that , he has a 14' open landscape bed on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

bdconsoli
11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
I think that's the non-turbo V8?

The T444E is International's name for the 7.3 Powerstroke. Exact same engine just a different name.

T=Turbo
444=444cid
E=Electronics

STIHL GUY
11-19-2010, 09:30 AM
looks like a nice truck especially for that price...around here it would be kinda big for mowing though

knox gsl
11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
I would rather that than a 1ton pulling a 20ft enclosed trailer, it would be easier to drive a straight truck at that point.

grass disaster
11-19-2010, 10:27 AM
For sale $12,000

jkilov
11-19-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't know. Rust and worn seats at 41k miles on a truck like that. Maybe the odo went baloney and instead has 141,000 which would sound reasonable. Heck if it's in good shape, why not.

Clark Griswold
11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
For sale $12,000

There's a sucker born every minute, you'll just have to find him or her!

fl-landscapes
11-19-2010, 12:30 PM
There's a sucker born every minute, you'll just have to find him or her!

yup, probably not on the same site you just posted you paid $6000 though:laugh:

grass disaster
11-19-2010, 01:15 PM
yup, probably not on the same site you just posted you paid $6000 though:laugh:

it'll be closer to $7500 after taxes and title.

i might try get $9500 out of it. clean it up maybe some paint.

Texas Lawn
11-19-2010, 02:55 PM
i dont consider it wasting money. I consider it an investment. I have gotten lots of things for free cause I bought something else and flipped it. Only downside is if you cant sell it. Seems like a decent truck so you may be able to sell it pretty quickly, maybe not for 12K

grass disaster
11-19-2010, 05:30 PM
i dont consider it wasting money. I consider it an investment. I have gotten lots of things for free cause I bought something else and flipped it. Only downside is if you cant sell it. Seems like a decent truck so you may be able to sell it pretty quickly, maybe not for 12K

yeah we'll see i guess.

i got a list of truck dealers and i'm gona start there. its pretty low miles so someone i'm sure will be interested. its got only 41,000

knox gsl
11-19-2010, 07:56 PM
I would have a ramp built for it over the winter and repaint it. Also repair any mechanical issues and then put your logo on the side of the box. This would make a great truck to work out of and still get ok fuel mileage. After doing all the reapairs and getting the ramp and paint you should have less than $10K in it, much cheaper than a SuperLawnTruck. I would also look and see if there was a spacer between the frame and box that could be removed and a way to lower the rear suspension to get a better angle on the ramp. Like I said before I've seen a truck like this around here with a guy using it for his mowers. Its a low profile international with a open dove tail bed.

grass disaster
11-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I would have a ramp built for it over the winter and repaint it. Also repair any mechanical issues and then put your logo on the side of the box. This would make a great truck to work out of and still get ok fuel mileage. After doing all the reapairs and getting the ramp and paint you should have less than $10K in it, much cheaper than a SuperLawnTruck. I would also look and see if there was a spacer between the frame and box that could be removed and a way to lower the rear suspension to get a better angle on the ramp. Like I said before I've seen a truck like this around here with a guy using it for his mowers. Its a low profile international with a open dove tail bed.

yeah probably get 13-14 mpg's

and cheaper than my 20k truck and 5k enclosed trailer. and get better than 9mpg which is what i get pulling the trailer.

knox gsl
11-19-2010, 10:05 PM
yeah probably get 13-14 mpg's

and cheaper than my 20k truck and 5k enclosed trailer. and get better than 9mpg which is what i get pulling the trailer.

If you baby it I would think around 10-12 mpg unless you checked it to find out that it does better. I drove a newer model interantional rental truck 1500 miles round trip with that engine and 4 speed auto. I averaged 65 mph and a GCVW of around 32,000 lbs (under 26K truck), I also didn't give it much of a break going up I-81 through VA and PA (lots of hills) and got around 7.5 mpg.

siclmn
11-20-2010, 12:33 AM
How much do you think you will spend on painting and getting rid of the rust?

topsites
11-20-2010, 03:07 AM
I am thinking, the person who sold it to you already had it priced to sell.

grass disaster
11-20-2010, 10:22 AM
I am thinking, the person who sold it to you already had it priced to sell.

it was owned by the bank whom had no reserve on the item

as far as paint goes maybe $200.

grass disaster
11-20-2010, 06:56 PM
i was told by someone that knows a lot about these trucks that i should start with the asking price of $12000. he said that is really low miles and should't have a problem starting at 12.

after that i learned from someone who used to drive this truck that it ran great and that it used to be a flat bed truck and still has the hydrollic lift hooked up to the box to you can raise the box. THATS WORTH SOMETHING!

grass disaster
11-22-2010, 05:34 PM
picked it up today.

good news is it started great runs and drives good.

it does have some cosmetic issues on the box. looks like some rust ate through a little on the front corners.

inside looked good, no leaks. front tires liked to be 80% backs about 40% glass was good. inside needs a good scrub job.

so we will see. i have some cleaning to do. maybe a little body work on the box.

old oak lawn
11-22-2010, 07:12 PM

X2 - There is a company around here that has one, they do large HOA'S and fit a lot of Wright stand on mowers in that truck.

knox gsl
11-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Seen a cabover Hino today at the dump picking up mulch, it had a 26' open bed plus 4' or 5' dovetail. It is still shorter than a long wheel base truck with a 16' trailer.

grass disaster
11-23-2010, 01:28 PM
anyone know a good place to advertise this besides craigslist?

Buck_wheat
11-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Harvester makes a heck of an engine... the ford 7.3 ltr diesels are made by Harvester. used to be International Harvester, known for farm equipment & diesels that don't die... school buse run harvesters.

I'd see what it costs to take the box off and install a dump. You'll get 500,000 miles or more if you take care of it and a 7 -10K net price with the dump is a pretty good deal.

Nice buy!

knox gsl
11-23-2010, 03:31 PM

Set it up to run lawn service out of it, if you don't like it sell it next summer when you can get top dollar for it.

hackitdown
11-23-2010, 04:06 PM

http://www.commercialtrucktrader.com/

topsites
11-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Well it's obviously not a lawn truck, the thought that it might be useful for this may have crossed your mind
but it's not the reason you bought it, and that's why I'm just itching to give off some real smart-ass remarks.

You know like gfl, don't let the door hit you where the good lord split you, and such.
Hopefully you see the humor in it, because I don't.

grass disaster
11-23-2010, 07:23 PM
i'm onpen to any remarks.

with a little clean up i dont see where i wouldnt be ablt to get about $9500

again it needs a little touch up but the drive train is like new with only 40k on it.

i talked to the mechanic who worked on all the lumber yards trucks and he said it's always ben a good truck and hes glad i didnt buy the other one cuz it had some problems.

Big C
11-23-2010, 08:34 PM
I would take that sucker and branch off into a moving company or just rent it out to movers.

coolluv
11-24-2010, 04:32 AM
Just an idea. Why not take the box off and use it for storage for equipment or whatever and have a landscape body put on it.

Dave...

grass disaster
11-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Just an idea. Why not take the box off and use it for storage for equipment or whatever and have a landscape body put on it.

Dave...

yeah i dont do any landscapint tho.

MAKLandscaping
11-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Well, why not start a small moving/hauling/transporting with it. Is it a Commercial Title? If not, you could probably register it as personal use and use it as a weekend venture? Get a small contract with like Sears transporting appliances on the weekend, maybe post a ad on the all mighty Craigslist and put it in peoples face "Have truck will work"

Matt

grass disaster
11-26-2010, 06:25 PM
Well, why not start a small moving/hauling/transporting with it. Is it a Commercial Title? If not, you could probably register it as personal use and use it as a weekend venture? Get a small contract with like Sears transporting appliances on the weekend, maybe post a ad on the all mighty Craigslist and put it in peoples face "Have truck will work"

Matt

no no no. i dont need ANOTHER job

douglasl330
01-07-2011, 09:51 PM
Perfect truck for short hauling mail as an independant! You'll pay for the truck in six months.

Deori
01-08-2011, 11:59 PM
Hey Douglas,
How do you get into something like that?

Perfect truck for short hauling mail as an independant! You'll pay for the truck in six months.