PDA

View Full Version : Vista "bullet lights" 2216 problem

eastcoastjessee
11-19-2010, 02:44 PM
I had a call from a customer about some of there lights not working. When i went to check them out i had voltage at the fixture so i replaced the bulb but nothing. So I went to another fixture on that run that was out and when i went to take the cover off the light came on. I went to another and tapped the fixture and it came on. This problem came up on several fixtures. Has anyone came across this and what is a possible solution? I figure there is something loose but I don't see how this can happen on so many.

irrig8r
11-19-2010, 03:01 PM
I had a call from a customer about some of there lights not working. When i went to check them out i had voltage at the fixture so i replaced the bulb but nothing. So I went to another fixture on that run that was out and when i went to take the cover off the light came on. I went to another and tapped the fixture and it came on. This problem came up on several fixtures. Has anyone came across this and what is a possible solution? I figure there is something loose but I don't see how this can happen on so many.

What you are describing sounds like classic socket issues, or more specifically, intermittent contact between the lamp pins and the spring loaded clamps in the socket. Either replace the socket, or follow James' instructions for cutting and scraping away the foil layer and spreading the pins. (try a forum search on "sockets").

Pro-Scapes
11-19-2010, 11:37 PM
What you are describing sounds like classic socket issues, or more specifically, intermittent contact between the lamp pins and the spring loaded clamps in the socket. Either replace the socket, or follow James' instructions for cutting and scraping away the foil layer and spreading the pins. (try a forum search on "sockets").

for the price of a socket just replace it and be done. Definatly sounds like a socket or connection problem. No need for any back alley type repairs. Replace the inexpensive faulty part

steveparrott
11-20-2010, 11:13 AM
It could be a socket problem but it sounds more like simple burned-out lamps.

It sometimes happens that a filament has a hairline break. When power is applied, the lamp fails to light. If you tap on the lamp, the filament vibrates and the open space is bridged allowing the broken filament to temporarily fuse together. When power is cut off, the filament cools and contracts, once again opening the gap.

Re-reading your post, I see you did replace the lamp (I'm guessing with a new one) so it might be the socket after all.

irrig8r
11-20-2010, 11:57 AM
for the price of a socket just replace it and be done. Definatly sounds like a socket or connection problem. No need for any back alley type repairs. Replace the inexpensive faulty part

Back-alley?
LOL

If you encounter a few of these on one site and don't happen to have all those sockets with you and the jobsite is far from home, then maybe you do a temporary fix.

irrig8r
11-20-2010, 12:23 PM
BTW Billy, around here James' method would likely be called "un invento Mexicano"...

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-20-2010, 11:44 PM
I have used hundreds of the Vista GR-2116-CSN fixtures in the past two years and have not had any issues with their sockets. In the past, going back a few years ago, I did have issues with Vista sockets, specifically when using G4 Bi-Pin lamps in their line of flood fixtures. This is remedied by installing G5.3 Bi-Pin lamps instead.

As for fixing a failed socket to lamp pin connection on site by peeling back the foil and exposing the paddles and springs, thus ensuring your pins are making proper contact... This is something that we run across all the time with 'cheap' sockets found in Hadco, CopperMoon, Nightscaping and others. The G4 Lamp pins are not thick enough to ensure a good connection in the these universal type sockets. In some fixtures, replacing the socket is not necessary and more time consuming then ensuring the lamp pins are squeezed between the socket paddle and wall. (not sure what is so "back alley" about making something work permanently Billy.)

Jesse... could it be that the fixures were installed with a really poor connection? When you tap the fixture, or jiggle it by removing the shroud connection is re-established and the lamp comes back on?

Pro-Scapes
11-21-2010, 11:00 AM
I have used hundreds of the Vista GR-2116-CSN fixtures in the past two years and have not had any issues with their sockets. In the past, going back a few years ago, I did have issues with Vista sockets, specifically when using G4 Bi-Pin lamps in their line of flood fixtures. This is remedied by installing G5.3 Bi-Pin lamps instead.

As for fixing a failed socket to lamp pin connection on site by peeling back the foil and exposing the paddles and springs, thus ensuring your pins are making proper contact... This is something that we run across all the time with 'cheap' sockets found in Hadco, CopperMoon, Nightscaping and others. The G4 Lamp pins are not thick enough to ensure a good connection in the these universal type sockets. In some fixtures, replacing the socket is not necessary and more time consuming then ensuring the lamp pins are squeezed between the socket paddle and wall. (not sure what is so "back alley" about making something work permanently Billy.)

Jesse... could it be that the fixures were installed with a really poor connection? When you tap the fixture, or jiggle it by removing the shroud connection is re-established and the lamp comes back on?

If it doesnt work its junk and should be replaced with a quality and suitable replacement part. Removing the foil opens the socket springs and such to more heat and condensation. I have seen the foil pulled off sockets before and in my experience (maybe it has to do with geographical differences) these sockets do not last inadvertantly need to be replaced anyways. To each his own. You can remove part of it and do as you wish but I preffer to fix it completly and without question.