PDA

View Full Version : inovator or idiot???

fl-landscapes
11-19-2010, 05:40 PM
So Im heading to pick my son up from school and I see this guy pulling this contraption around a lawn spraying as he goes. His truck is out front and he is a pro not a homeowner. I have to see what he's doing so I pull over and talk with him and snap a pic. Its home made (obviously) 3.5 gal spot sprayer with 12v battery and shurflo pump attached to aluminum wand and tee-jet flat fan (blue tip) nozzle. So the question is, is he an innovator or just an idiot?........now before you jump on me for calling this guy an idiot...im joking a bit so lighten up in advance.

44DCNF
11-19-2010, 05:45 PM
I'd say that's pretty resourceful.

zturncutter
11-19-2010, 05:55 PM
I would rather have this - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332331_200332331

fl-landscapes
11-19-2010, 05:57 PM
I would rather have this - http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200332331_200332331

guy was as old as the dead sea scrolls, I think he didnt want the weight on his back

MarcSmith
11-19-2010, 06:00 PM
so rather than wear a back pack and pump by hand he's dragging around a hand truck. not a bad idea. works well on Bahia, but I bet is sucks dragging it on st augustine

fl-landscapes
11-19-2010, 06:15 PM
so rather than wear a back pack and pump by hand he's dragging around a hand truck. not a bad idea. works well on Bahia, but I bet is sucks dragging it on st augustine

I can vouch for that, no better calve workout than pushing a manual spreader through st aug, I appreciate my gas spyker spreader for sure!

ted putnam
11-19-2010, 06:44 PM
Not bad! Looks like an old rolling suitcase frame stripped down and the essential parts for sprayer added. Needs a little larger pneumatic tires. Other than that, innovative. Nothing idiotic in my book. Just needs a little improvement.

fl-landscapes
11-19-2010, 07:59 PM
Not bad! Looks like an old rolling suitcase frame stripped down and the essential parts for sprayer added. Needs a little larger pneumatic tires. Other than that, innovative. Nothing idiotic in my book. Just needs a little improvement.

good idea......

CHARLES CUE
11-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Looks like a pretty neat idea! My fist thought Was the same as Teds some air filled tires would make it easy er push. I have one of though pumps it works good but Don't like how the hoses attached to the pump.

Charles Cue

Ric
11-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Fl Landscape

So you say the Guy witnessed the birth of agriculture or his first Xmas was the first Xmas. Hello!!! Florida is God's waiting room. Our County has the oldest average age of any place in the WORLD. Deaths out numbers birth in our county by 10 to 1 because this is retirement city. Not surprising that some Blue Haired Yard Boy would be too lazy or sickly to want to strap on a back pack sprayer.

On the Plus side. I do see what appears to be a recirculating agitation that a standard 12V Back Pack doesn't have. The thing of a bob also appears to fold up. That might be one of it's strongest points in the fact it doesn't take up a lot room.

Minus side is the wheel size as already pointed out. Also the Tank size appears limited. But these smaller size tank and wheels might be a plus on the storage room the unit takes. As a spot spot sprayer I see this as faster than bring out a 300 ft hose.

fl-landscapes
11-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Fl Landscape

So you say the Guy witnessed the birth of agriculture or his first Xmas was the first Xmas. Hello!!! Florida is God's waiting room. Our County has the oldest average age of any place in the WORLD. Deaths out numbers birth in our county by 10 to 1 because this is retirement city. Not surprising that some Blue Haired Yard Boy would be too lazy or sickly to want to strap on a back pack sprayer.

On the Plus side. I do see what appears to be a recirculating agitation that a standard 12V Back Pack doesn't have. The thing of a bob also appears to fold up. That might be one of it's strongest points in the fact it doesn't take up a lot room.

Minus side is the wheel size as already pointed out. Also the Tank size appears limited. But these smaller size tank and wheels might be a plus on the storage room the unit takes. As a spot spot sprayer I see this as faster than bring out a 300 ft hose.

Now thats funny! Ya I said he was as old as the dead sea scrolls, turns out he actually wrote them.

jasontimm
11-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Fl Landscape

careful Ric, I foresee you rigging up a device like that for a wheel chair in a couple of years!!!

MarcSmith
11-20-2010, 06:40 AM
careful Ric, I foresee you rigging up a device like that for a wheel chair in a couple of years!!!not to a wheel a chair....to a hoverround...

Buck_wheat
11-20-2010, 08:23 AM
LCO's can't use powered equipment to apply chemicals.

Other than that, a genius design with room for the improvements already mentioned. America is still the land of inovation.

Not sure I want to drag that thing as I spray.

grassman177
11-20-2010, 09:04 AM
i think it is pretty good, and it works and saves your back and pumping.

well done

sprayboy
11-20-2010, 09:19 AM
I thought it might be the ric-a-green we have been hearing about but it makes sense that it would have to be on the hoveround. lol

Ric
11-20-2010, 01:48 PM
I thought it might be the ric-a-green we have been hearing about but it makes sense that it would have to be on the hoveround. lol

Sprayboy

That is quite the insult to think that thing is the Ric-A-Green. The Ric-A-Green Started with a Walker lawn mower and added Spread & Spray ability. BTW unlike the T 3000 or perma-a-green, the Ric-A-Green has a shielded boom sprayer for spraying near over grown ornamental beds. The Ric-A-Green also has a wide area boom-less nozzles like the manufactured machines you all pay too much for.

fl-landscapes
11-20-2010, 01:58 PM
LCO's can't use powered equipment to apply chemicals.Other than that, a genius design with room for the improvements already mentioned. America is still the land of inovation.

Not sure I want to drag that thing as I spray.

he is a cerified pest control operator, if he wasnt certified he couldnt spray ANYTHING on the lawn regardless if it is powered or not.

Rayholio
11-23-2010, 10:25 AM
It needs some tweaking.. but not a bad idea! :)

you could probably stack 2 backpack sprayers, and put on bycycle wheels / tires, and it would be a pretty awesome spot sprayer.. especially with a wand.

Ric
11-23-2010, 10:49 AM
It needs some tweaking.. but not a bad idea! :)

you could probably stack 2 backpack sprayers, and put on bycycle wheels / tires, and it would be a pretty awesome spot sprayer.. especially with a wand.

Ray

From Garage sales I have several folding Golf Bag Dollies that have bigger wheels and fold up nicely. I use them with a 5 gallon bucket when hand spreading fert on ornamentals. I believe those dollies would make a very nice tow behind sprayer. I see both sides of the problem of storage verses utility.

BTW as I am typing this, I can vision a 7 gallon Bucket with the pump and battery on top of the lip being pulled by a Golf Bag Dolly. Same Dolly could be used for Fert or other things also. I think I will start looking for a 7 gallon bucket with air tight lid or a tank like it.

Buck_wheat
11-23-2010, 02:18 PM
he is a cerified pest control operator, if he wasnt certified he couldnt spray ANYTHING on the lawn regardless if it is powered or not.

Yes... see it now I:o

You did say he was a "Pro"

44DCNF
11-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Ray

From Garage sales I have several folding Golf Bag Dollies that have bigger wheels and fold up nicely. I use them with a 5 gallon bucket when hand spreading fert on ornamentals. I believe those dollies would make a very nice tow behind sprayer. I see both sides of the problem of storage verses utility.

BTW as I am typing this, I can vision a 7 gallon Bucket with the pump and battery on top of the lip being pulled by a Golf Bag Dolly. Same Dolly could be used for Fert or other things also. I think I will start looking for a 7 gallon bucket with air tight lid or a tank like it.

Ric I have a link somewhere for screw on lids for buckets. A threaded rim snaps on like normal and then a center section screws down into it. Look up Gamma Seals. Pretty sure those are the ones I had my eye on before.

fl-landscapes
11-23-2010, 03:33 PM
Yes... see it now I:o

You did say he was a "Pro"

I do it all the time, these threads become mind numbing sometimes and I tend to just scan through them myself. Sometimes I miss something.

Ric
11-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Ric I have a link somewhere for screw on lids for buckets. A threaded rim snaps on like normal and then a center section screws down into it. Look up Gamma Seals. Pretty sure those are the ones I had my eye on before.

Thanks 44

Those $ 7.64 call it Ten bucks or more with Shipping and handling, might just do the trick to make a tow behind sprayer. I already carry a Golf Bag Dolly in my truck so a extra 5 gallon buck with Pump and battery on top might not be a big space taker. While I do blanket spray certain herbicides I also spot spray what the Blanket doesn't get. I get tired of dragging hose to do spot spraying.

bug-guy
11-24-2010, 06:50 AM
Ray

"The Ric-Rascal"

44DCNF
11-24-2010, 03:50 PM
You're very welcome, Ric.

Just and fyi for those following the thread; The cart seen in the photo is likely identical to ones I've seen at home depot-$29 I think. I don't beleive it is from a suitcase, though that could work too.

As mentioned, I can see the small wheels being the weak point in certain situations, but it would be great for spraying vegitation growing in cracks in parking lots.

Bryn
11-24-2010, 04:37 PM
I thought I saw that cart at Sears, for about $29 reduced to $20. I need to call in and check. I remember picking it up out of a display box and being surprised by the weight and thickness of the base. If I get over to Sears I will check out the price.

Ric
11-26-2010, 11:58 AM
"The Ric-Rascal"

Bug Guy

I like the name "The Ric-Rascal" to go along with the Ric-A-Green. However to really make the Ric-Rascal a desirable sprayer I believe it has to be at least 5 to 10 gallons. It should be a little bigger than a back pack yet not so heavy that it couldn't be easily picked up and put in a truck. I believe factors like size for storage or transport issues should be minimal also.

ted putnam
11-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Yea, I can see Ric on a Rascal rigged with an 8ft boom.

I found the little hand truck at homedepot.com for $25.96 150lb capacity. I have an old Stihl SG20 backpack tank or you could even buy a small tank from Rittenhouse. Would be real handy for bank/shopping center areas with strips and islands and like I said before, it'd go over some rougher terrain with some small pneumatic tires. Could be handy for spot spraying weeds or light duty tree/shrub apps. I say the guy was an innovator.

grass4gas
11-27-2010, 06:17 AM
And for those who don't want to refill that often, I say get a hand truck and strap a 30 or 55 gallon tank to it.:laugh:

Lawn doctor back in the late 70's and early 80's had what they called the Magna II sprayer. It held, I believe a 10 gallon tank, had spray booms and u had to push it for it to spray.

Thank god when I worked for them they had the turf tamer which was motorized...an awesome machine that they still use today.

Ric
11-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Yea, I can see Ric on a Rascal rigged with an 8ft boom.

I found the little hand truck at homedepot.com for $25.96 150lb capacity. I have an old Stihl SG20 backpack tank or you could even buy a small tank from Rittenhouse. Would be real handy for bank/shopping center areas with strips and islands and like I said before, it'd go over some rougher terrain with some small pneumatic tires. Could be handy for spot spraying weeds or light duty tree/shrub apps. I say the guy was an innovator.

No No Ted

It is THE RIC RASCAL not Ric on a Rascal. Hey I might been on the Ark and have Chronic heart burn from undigested Mastodon meat, But I can still get around without a walker.

ted putnam
11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
I was in Office Depot today buying ink cartridges for the printer and happened to notice a "hand truck" like the one in the photo in this thread. It had wheels that were much larger. 7-8 inch diameter. Still not pneumatic but the thing had 220lb load capacity. Price $45

Ric
12-01-2010, 08:34 AM
I was in Office Depot today buying ink cartridges for the printer and happened to notice a "hand truck" like the one in the photo in this thread. It had wheels that were much larger. 7-8 inch diameter. Still not pneumatic but the thing had 220lb load capacity. Price $45

Ted

I am not sure what the Golf Bag Carts cost new because I have 3 of them my neighbor picked up at Garage sales for like $ 5.00. No they don't fold up as small as the model you are talking about. But I already have one in my Truck I use for fertilizer. The other day I was at tractor supply and saw a very small ONE gallon a minute 12V pump for $ 45.00. A Gel Battery is $ 23.00 so for well under a Hundred bucks and a 5 or 6 gallon plastic bucket as a tank I am in Business. I am even thinking with several buckets i could change spray product by just changing the bucket tops from storage lid to power spray lid.

nik
12-01-2010, 07:51 PM
I like it. Goos staring design. If it gets the product out where it needs to go and no where else at the rate it's supposed to and does so in the amount of time that is acceptable to that guy then I would say it is a near perfect setup for him. As mentioned those tires bug me. unless he wants to run on on the walkway and the grass meets so he can get in some edging at the same time.