PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Demo the Turfco XT5 ?

LBZFAN
11-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Just wondering if i can get an objective opinion of the new Turfco XT5 aerator. Did anyone get to demo it this fall? What did you like about it? Dislikes? Is it better than the TurnAer 4 or TurnAer 6 ? Would like to hear from someone other than the turfco guys on this. Thanks!

CHARLES CUE
11-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Just wondering if i can get an objective opinion of the new Turfco XT5 aerator. Did anyone get to demo it this fall? What did you like about it? Dislikes? Is it better than the TurnAer 4 or TurnAer 6 ? Would like to hear from someone other than the turfco guys on this. Thanks!

I demoed them at GIE. I relay went to demo the new aerators but did try the Turnaer 6 just to try it.

I liked the XT5 it was easy to turn and maneuver the top comes off in the back to clean and replace tines.A relay nice option ! reverse makes it nice to.

To me the bad part is letting down the machine to operate the tines it's a little hard to say the least. And as you have read already when in trans port mode only one wheel drives so you have to push some.

If you have any other questions be free to ask.

Charles Cue

LBZFAN
11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
thanks charles, anyone looking to upgrade to this machine? what is specifically better than the other TurnAer machines? Pull plugs ok?

indyturf
11-22-2010, 08:25 PM
I have the LS walk behind that is a hydro like turfo's new aerator. I think the biggest benefit is that you can aerate in reverse. this is very helpful in tight trim areas.

turfcobob
11-24-2010, 11:05 AM

This is about a close as I can get for now. On U tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89q6-v2JfLE

grass4gas
11-24-2010, 05:27 PM
The problem I see with this machine is the raise/lower bar...knees get banged up pretty easily if your not carefull, just like the ryan's.

I have the 1st generation LS walkbehind. I like the fact it has the small lever handle to raise and lower the tines...no bar to bang your knees.

turfcobob
11-24-2010, 06:39 PM
The problem I see with this machine is the raise/lower bar...knees get banged up pretty easily if your not carefull, just like the ryan's.

I have the 1st generation LS walkbehind. I like the fact it has the small lever handle to raise and lower the tines...no bar to bang your knees.

The bar is located well forward so it is difficult to get knees into it. It also serves as a push back bar in the operator slips on wet grass to keep him out of the machine. No one todate has complained about knocking knees.

grass4gas
11-24-2010, 07:17 PM
I stand by my original comment.

Looking at that video, the guy using the aerator came within a hair of hitting his shin/knees both forward and reverse. If you slip...oh well.

A smaller bar/handle would eliminate that potential problem. JMO

Service 1st Lawn Care
11-24-2010, 08:14 PM
I think Bob would know

CHARLES CUE
11-24-2010, 09:45 PM

I operated this machine at GIE went back about 4 times ran it quite a bit and never hit my knees. It's a nice machine

Charles Cue

kennc38
11-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Nice video except for the fact it doesn't show the quality of the plugs it's pulling nor does it show the hole pattern. One would think this would be an important selling feature as well.

fatboynormmie
11-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Nice video except for the fact it doesn't show the quality of the plugs it's pulling nor does it show the hole pattern. One would think this would be an important selling feature as well.

Yeah it looks like it does the same job as the LS units .Could we get a video of the plugs it pulls.I made a video of my classen vs LS and there is a difference on the very same soil.I just have to figure out how to format it to load it on here.Maybe they could do a comparison video with the new hydro vs there older version to see which one plugs better.I guess just because its easier to use dosen't make it the best machine for the job its intended to do.

turfcobob
11-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Here is something to think about. The number of holes per sq ft with all these rolling aerators is "6" no more no less. If the pattern varies and inch this way or that it is still 6. That is why you go over a lawn twice with a rolling type aerator. There are some of the really cheap ones that do even worse like 4 holes per Sq. Ft. but if you are looking at the predominant units, Turfco, Ryan, Classen, B Bird, LS, and etc they are 6. Now depth of the hole is more important than the plug being pulled. Some softer soils when damp may not produce long plugs. They will appear to be short because they are being compacted as they pass thru the barrel of the tine and are pushed out. To really know what you are getting for an aeration job take your pen, point down and drop it into the hole to see how deep it is. This will tell you just what you are getting. Now if the holes are like 2.5 inches deep and you are not getting cores you look at another issue. Plugging of the tines. Ther are tines out there that have a coined leading / cutting edge. This process makes the hole larger than the barrel of the tine. This will cause the tine to plug. So if you are getting deep holes but no plugs that means the unit is pushing the soil down and compacting the bottom rather than producing cores. The unit is acting just like a sheeps foot that is used to compact roadways before paving. Any more questions feel free to ask. Turfcobob@aol.com

kennc38
11-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Here is something to think about. The number of holes per sq ft with all these rolling aerators is "6" no more no less. If the pattern varies and inch this way or that it is still 6. That is why you go over a lawn twice with a rolling type aerator. There are some of the really cheap ones that do even worse like 4 holes per Sq. Ft. but if you are looking at the predominant units, Turfco, Ryan, Classen, B Bird, LS, and etc they are 6. Now depth of the hole is more important than the plug being pulled. Some softer soils when damp may not produce long plugs. They will appear to be short because they are being compacted as they pass thru the barrel of the tine and are pushed out. To really know what you are getting for an aeration job take your pen, point down and drop it into the hole to see how deep it is. This will tell you just what you are getting. Now if the holes are like 2.5 inches deep and you are not getting cores you look at another issue. Plugging of the tines. Ther are tines out there that have a coined leading / cutting edge. This process makes the hole larger than the barrel of the tine. This will cause the tine to plug. So if you are getting deep holes but no plugs that means the unit is pushing the soil down and compacting the bottom rather than producing cores. The unit is acting just like a sheeps foot that is used to compact roadways before paving. Any more questions feel free to ask. Turfcobob@aol.com

Thanks for the explanation Bob. The point that I was trying to make is that the video doesn't show either the plugs being pulled nor the holes. The grass is so tall and thick that you can't even see that the aerator is even making holes. Since it appears that Turfco has done a lot of work and engineering in ensuring that your equipment produces quality aeration holes, wouldn't it make sense to show this in your promotion videos? I mean why not show in a video the explanation you just gave as a sort of comparison of the Turfco aerators versus the "other guys"? Thanks again.

Service 1st Lawn Care
11-28-2010, 12:11 AM
Just wondering Bob are the 2 slots in the frame in the front and back to hang additional weight bars? or they just part of the manufacturing press punch out.

fatboynormmie
11-28-2010, 01:46 AM
Just wondering Bob are the 2 slots in the frame in the front and back to hang additional weight bars? or they just part of the manufacturing press punch out.

My guess is there handle slots to pick unit up .I think the rear of unit has the same type openings.Just a guess.

turfcobob
11-30-2010, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the explanation Bob. The point that I was trying to make is that the video doesn't show either the plugs being pulled nor the holes. The grass is so tall and thick that you can't even see that the aerator is even making holes. Since it appears that Turfco has done a lot of work and engineering in ensuring that your equipment produces quality aeration holes, wouldn't it make sense to show this in your promotion videos? I mean why not show in a video the explanation you just gave as a sort of comparison of the Turfco aerators versus the "other guys"? Thanks again.

the next video will have plugs. I was not there when they shot the video. I can tell you the XT5 pulls better plugs than any of our other walk behinds. Quite the Machine.

For the slots front and rea... they are to hook tie down straps.