PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow for English ivy?

khutch
11-20-2010, 10:25 AM
I have used an ester 2-4-d and glyphosate in the past for english ivy with mixed results. The AI in Crossbow seems like a good alterative, but english ivy is not listed on the label. I know this gets throw around a lot on the threads but I got acres of English ivy and if Crossbow is an answer I'd love to hear it.

Neal Wolbert
11-21-2010, 02:00 AM
Crossbow should do a good job on English Ivy, but trichlorpyr by itself does the great job too. Garlon 4 is the best product IMO applied spray to wet but not to runoff. Be careful not to spray on tree trunks or exposed buttress roots directly as the product can be taken up. Check the label for legal sites and be careful of high temps as they are both esters as you know. Garlon 3A is the amine formula and although not as quick, it's a good alternative and best to use with a surfactant for penetration. We like Syltac by Wilbur-Ellis Co. for the surfactant combined with InPlace, also a Wilbur-Ellis product. If you haven't heard of that product yet, check into it. It encapsulates the herbicide so more stays on the target and only the water evaporates. The combination enhances control for a few pennies per gallon.

Neal

cgaengineer
11-21-2010, 07:13 AM
Does round up not kill the stuff or is it in a place where round up can't be used?
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
11-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I will second the Crossbow. Glyphosate can be a very poor herbicide on woody or broadleaf weeds. Go figure, it has no problems destroying rose bushes or flowers, but woody weeds are only stunted. Crossbow is the best way to get a small amount of triclopyr ester. Otherwise you will need to have the 21/2 gallon pack of Garlon 4.

cgaengineer
11-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Yeah, round up doesn't seem to have any problem killing something you don't want killed!

I wasn't sure if english ivy was similar to some round up resistant mondo grasses or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

greendoctor
11-22-2010, 01:05 AM
Here is Hawaii, it is well known that 16-32 oz per acre of glyphosate applied in 40 gallons + a nonionic surfactant will not kill mondo grass. But it will do something to small broadleaved weeds not affected by Certainty, Image or Lontrel.

Back on subject. I never expect to kill unwanted vines or brush with even RoundUp Pro Maxx. That is what Garlon or Crossbow is for.

nik
11-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Triclopyr is a good choice indeed, especially with control and cost issues. Garlon 3A and its competitor products will let you get closer to water of that is an issue where you need to spray. And do add the sticker. You are trying to push through a lot of wax on those leaves.

It costs more but taking down the ivy at the base and hitting the re-sprouts will get you really good control. The young leaves are easier to get product into and you don't need as much to get down into the roots.