PDA

View Full Version : A little new to this

dreis
11-20-2010, 09:41 PM
First I would like to say that everyone on this forum has given me a wealth of information to read. As the title stated I am new to this buisness. My family has been hanging lights for the neighborhood for years, but never went public. I know it's late in the year, so mainly taking the time to learn and do a few small jobs. The income is tight at the moment due to holidays, but I want to be ready next year. I have a few questions and hope that all you professionals can help a new guy.

1. What kind of lights do you use on windows? I can't fin a way to hang them and look nice. Always left over lights and never a plug to be found. how do you all hang them?

2. When you wrap piers with garland, do you do every 4 inches and what do I use to keep it in place?

I know there are companies you can pay to help get you started, but still not sure on spending the cash for it next year. I would like to learn all I can and then see if a hobby i enjoy can make me some extra money. Thanks for any advice.

David Gretzmier
11-21-2010, 12:15 AM
I am not much of a window light person, but the clips from holiday light source or suction cups work ok. we have set small screw eyes in the window trim and run wire though and just double or triple stranded mini's tight to make a square.

The garland I use is noble mix from HBL, and it is about 7-8 inches thick when fluffed. I tend to put about 12 inches of space between strands, and I start at the top with a screw mounted and wire the garland to it, then keep it very tight as you go around the column. at the bottom, another screw with wire to pull it tight. fluff foliage and space bulbs, set cord to timer and move on.