PDA

View Full Version : Too late to apply Fertilzer & Roundup in Centeral IN?

1966vette
11-21-2010, 11:22 AM
I live in Kokomo, IN & applied fertilizer 3 or 4 weeks ago on my newly renovated lawn.

Here are my questions:

1. Is it advisable to apply additional fertilizer this late in the year?

2. Can I apply roundup to kill unwanted grass & weeds in the landscaping?

Thanks!
Andy :drinkup:

Bryn
11-21-2010, 11:48 PM
What are you air and soil temps? If soil temps are about 50-65F on cool season grass you are in the prime temp for root growth still. Root growth will not stop until about 33F. Here in Mid Tn my soil temps are still around 56F, and I'm still fertilizing, I'm just trying to maximize my root growth for next year.

With roundup you are not going to hurt anything if applied correctly so go ahead and try. I have found that when you apply close to winter that it seems not to have an effect on some of the winter weeds, as they are not actively growing and do not absorb the product, or they take a longer time to yellow. Nothing ventured nothing gained. Try a pre-emergent such as Snapshot in Early spring and early fall. For me it is Feb and Sept to keep some of these weeds from popping up. It is not guaranteed to cut down on all the hand weeding, but maybe 80%.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Roundup may have mixed effects this time of year.

Go ahead and fert though, roots are still utilizing nutrients.
I would go with close to an all mineral fert that would get utilized for the most part in the fall yet.

1966vette
11-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the info!

Gmgbo
12-03-2010, 10:53 PM
I would use sythe and roundup mix, that should kill weeds late season

RigglePLC
12-03-2010, 11:17 PM
But isn't there a big snow headed your way? Hurry.

Some turf scientists no longer recommend fert when soil temps get below 38 degrees. It may not be used and result in nitrate contamination of ground water. Do you get your water from a well?

1966vette
12-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I applied the roundup to the weeds ~3 weeks ago when the weather here was ~50 degrees.

However, it has yet to show any effect on the weeds & I plan to spray the weeds again in early spring 2011. :nono:

I held off applying another application of fertilizer & the lawn is still very green. :rolleyes:

I plan to apply (2) application of dimension next spring to prevent crabgrass germination.

Yes, I have a well w/ a ¾ HP submergible pump which was heavily used during the 1.1 acre lawn renovation due to the extended drought.

The sprinklers were on from 5:30 PM - 11:00 PM daily & from sunrise to 11:00 PM during the weekend.

Today, I plan to put away the garden hoses & call it quits on the yard work for 2010.

We did receive a dusting of snow the last few days.

The folks on this web site have been very helping during my lawn rejuvenation project.
Thanks again for helping! :drinkup:
Andy