PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Plants

Dreamscape
08-22-2002, 07:43 PM
We are currently involved in installing a nice landscape job for a company. The grounds superintendant came by and asked if we could install 1000, 1 gallon plants for him and mulch the existing beds. I don't know what these plants are yet, although they have already purchased them. I don't know if they want peat moss added to them yet, but I would like to have an idea of what a fair price would be to make this installation.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

DICK

lawnstudent
08-22-2002, 11:19 PM
Dreamscape,

How many plants can you plant in a day?

I've been working a summer internship installing perrenial gardens. I and one other person have installed over 400 1-gal. perrenials in a day with some plants requiring peat, sand, pea-gravel or combinations of these ammendments. If the soil is easily penetrated with a shovel you should be able to achive simular results. Good luck.

jim

dforbes
08-22-2002, 11:40 PM
I would rent a 2 man auger and drill all the holes. I have a landscape book which I think might tell us how many you could expect to plant per hour. I'll try and look it up when I get to the office tomorow
Dennis

TurfGuyTX
08-25-2002, 02:54 PM
For that many plants, I would see if it were feasible to rent a mini skid with a auger attachment. If you can use one, it'll be alot less wear and tear on you. Good luck.

paul
08-25-2002, 04:06 PM
Gallon plants are only 5" to 6" across the bottom and 6"-8" deep a spade is alot faster than any skid steer on a prepared bed which is what you should be planting one gallon pots.

lawnstudent
08-25-2002, 04:15 PM
Paul is so right on this one. A spade is quick with one gallon plants. Skid steers and two man power augers will just get in the way. Also, you will not be able to ammend the planting hole with power augers. You are going to need the spade for this operation.

jim

RwADesigner
08-29-2002, 02:56 PM
Man...ya...

you cant beat a spade for that size plant....we haul..tail..when planting one gallons....i think i figured...a time of around...30-60 seconds per plant..that includes everything till you are walking away from that plant..to the next one....that is in nice dirt too..though......

so i would feel safe to tell you that you could plant 1000 plants in 480-550 plants an eight hour day........per person basis.....

that is just the planting though.....not mulching..bed prep...anything else.....

We do it all the time though...and this time actually includes the breaking up of the broken up rootball..and adding stimulator to it.....i would probably figure 2-2.5 days with 2 peeps...for planting..on a job like that.....

lata

lawnstudent
08-29-2002, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by RwADesigner
Man...ya...

you cant beat a spade for that size plant....we haul..tail..when planting one gallons....i think i figured...a time of around...30-60 seconds per plant..that includes everything till you are walking away from that plant..to the next one....that is in nice dirt too..though......

so i would feel safe to tell you that you could plant 1000 plants in 480-550 plants an eight hour day........per person basis.....

that is just the planting though.....not mulching..bed prep...anything else.....

We do it all the time though...and this time actually includes the breaking up of the broken up rootball..and adding stimulator to it.....i would probably figure 2-2.5 days with 2 peeps...for planting..on a job like that.....

lata

You are experienced at this. My first time I was much slower with a spade. Now I am closer to your speed. I think Dreamscape should plan a minimum of two people three days unless they have had your level of experince with a spade & planting 1 gal plants.

jim

RwADesigner
08-30-2002, 01:26 AM
YA....i totally agree...i just read where he said..he planted 400 in one day before..........that is why i added .5 day...lol......na seriously.....3 sounds great

good point

strickdad
08-30-2002, 01:51 AM
we just did one this size( almost) we put in 700 1 gal monkey grass plants we put them in at 1 dollar a piece labor. plus a little mark up on the plants. i felt like we came out well.

TurfGuyTX
09-02-2002, 05:49 PM
I would agree that a spade would work (if the soil conditions are right) Dreamscape never said what kind of conditions they would be planted in. If it were clay or something, I'd still want an auger. Soil conditions do make a difference.

JimLewis
09-03-2002, 03:04 PM
An auger??? For 1 gallon plants???? Sounds like a major case of overkill to me.

We'd plant them with a spade.

Now our company would never just plant anything without ammending the soil and throwing in some fertilizer tabs. So that adds a little to the time. But still, it would take 2 of my guys about 3 full days to do this job the right way.

We'd use a few spade shovels, a large wheelbarrow, about 2000 planting tabs (fert.), and several yards of good planting compost.

If it were me, I'd charge 3 days labor for two guys. For us, that's $650 per day x 3. Then I'd add in the cost (plus 20% markup) for the planting tabs and compost. And if we got it done in 2 or 2.5 days, all the better.

p.s. I'd LOVE to have a job like this! My guys at one place all day long with no drive time. Oh yah! That's when you're making $.