PDA

View Full Version : Why do I need 4x4 on lawn truck?

South Florida Lawns
11-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Bought a Dodge diesel last week 05' and my buddy at the nursery was like bro shoulda got 4x4 you'll be sorry you don't have it.

What the heck do me and my guys need a 4x4 in Florida for? especially when we live in the city.

South Florida Lawns
11-21-2010, 05:22 PM
and I know you guys are gonna be like "its always good to have case you get stuck", but in all my years in this business I never been stuck.

Puddle of Oil
11-21-2010, 05:29 PM
you dont NEED one their just nice to have. i try to avoid using my 4x4 as much as i can. when you turn it feels like the truck is running over itself. but they come in handy in those sticky situations.

93Chevy
11-21-2010, 05:43 PM
I use 4wd occasionally when I dump clippings...sometimes it gets mucky this time of year and in the spring. I use it in winter a good bit...I used to put weight in the back, but screw that, I'll just pop 'er in 4wd and with a good set of tires, I don't even use it that much when it snows.

But if you never go off pavement, no need for 4wd. More expensive and more stuff to break if you don't need it.

STIHL GUY
11-21-2010, 06:24 PM
i use it in snow and sometimes when dumping. but isee no need for it in florida

procut
11-21-2010, 08:28 PM
You don't need it for a lawn truck. Just more stuff to break and result in worse mileage.

Maco Services
11-21-2010, 10:00 PM
Depends on the variety if situations you find yourself in.

If you are on road 100% of the time, no 4x4 needed.

I have been stuck in 2 situations in the last year. Driving up a neglected, washed out driveway that a small truck would have likely ended up on it's frame rails, and a day after a big rain going to the local landfill to dump debris. The only other time I would potentially need it is if we were doing mulch work in a situation where we had to move material far onto the property and had to take te truck. I'd rather drive into a yard with 4wd (don't turn, it will leave marks), than risk spinning tires and positively leaving damage in a lawn.

It would be nice to have, but don't need it to get the job done. Like most purchases, its something that can improve productivity in some situations, but unless you can substantiate time when you HAVE to be in 4wd, like plowing, it's a nice to have.
Posted via Mobile Device

Gravel Rat
11-22-2010, 12:30 AM
On a diesel 3/4 ton not sure if I would buy a 2wd but you are in Florida with no hills and no heavy wet weather. With a diesel being front end heavy a 2wd tends to get a one wheel peal, you can put a good limited slip in the diff.

I wouldn't worry about it the truck will do what you want to do.

4 seasons lawn&land
11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
cant figure out why you would need 4wd in florida...

mowerbrad
11-22-2010, 09:51 PM
Florida + working in the city = no 4x4 needed.

Up here in Michigan, it is pretty much a must, mostly for the winters. Though, just this fall I was going to a local auto parts store that was off of a road that was under construction. The road was all dirt, but the construction company had flatened it out so you could use it as an access road for some of the local businesses. Well, I pull in the drive way and get my front wheels on the asphalt of the parking lot, as I start to inch forward I suddenly stop and feel my back end starting to sink. Thank god for 4wd at that time, that's the only thing that got me out of it. My rear wheels were about 6" deep in the dirt, there was no way to get out of that in 2wd.

So yes, its nice to have 4wd for certain situations or for winter driving, but it is definately not necessary...especially down in Florida.

Deori
11-22-2010, 09:58 PM
I agree that you don't need it at all for your situation (neither do I), but the only thing I could see is maybe for resell value? Most guys who buy a diesel truck seem to want 4WD even though 90% of them never use it (in my neck of the woods at least).

Bought a Dodge diesel last week 05' and my buddy at the nursery was like bro shoulda got 4x4 you'll be sorry you don't have it.

What the heck do me and my guys need a 4x4 in Florida for? especially when we live in the city.

Evan528
11-22-2010, 10:57 PM
4x4 trucks definitely do look alot nicer then 4x2's...... If its a work truck then who cares.......

corey4671
11-22-2010, 11:04 PM
reason I have it is where I dump debris I have to go over a hill to the backside of my property. Most of the year it is too wet for a 2wd truck to get back there. that and I've just always had a 4wd truck and never want to be without one

Junior M
11-22-2010, 11:33 PM
In SC, I really have no reason for 4wd either if all I did was landscaping..

But with excavation and large property maintenance I've put it to a lot of use..

Other than that, I only use 4wd for huntin..

lawnprosteveo
11-22-2010, 11:40 PM
Going to the dump during fall or spring...it can be really muddy/slick. Cant wait around for things to dry out before I dump. Ive seen alot of guys who say they dont need 4x4 get stuck and ask for help to get unstuck...

rcslawncare
11-23-2010, 04:46 PM
If I had a dedicated tow/lawn rig, it would be a dually 2wd. Like everyone else said, less problems and possible better milage. In Florida, I think you made a good decision!

justanotherlawnguy
11-25-2010, 01:18 AM
good call, 4x4 for lawn guys is a joke. Only time i use mine is to make sure it still works now and then.

If I were getting a new truck, I certainly wouldnt pay for the option...

Puddle of Oil
11-25-2010, 02:12 AM
good call, 4x4 for lawn guys is a joke.

I would not go that far out and say its a joke, its a great thing to have around even if you don't use it much.
Posted via Mobile Device

topsites
11-25-2010, 02:50 AM
I've never had 4x4 in nine years, I'll admit the few times I've gotten stuck
were not exactly fun but at the same rate it didn't make me woefully regret
the fact that my truck was 2wd.

It's just how it is, in ways better off.

I would not go that far out and say its a joke, its a great thing to have around even if you don't use it much.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, like if it just so happens to come with the truck when I buy it.
But it's never been a selling point for me.

Darryl G
11-25-2010, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't have a truck without 4wd but I'm in the northeast and I plow in the winter.

But just yesterday I had to throw mine in 4wd in my own driveway. I had to turn around to go out back to dump some clippings and pulled into a gravel turn out. It's downhill a bit and I was nose down so there wasn't much weight on the rear wheels...went to back up and started spinning. Put her in 4wd for a sec and out I go. I also like it for going to the dump. It gets kind of sloppy where the brush pile is. It's nice if your doing hardscape/construction too. But for a southern lawn truck, I could see going with 2wd.

Jpocket
11-25-2010, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't even be concerned about 4wd if I lived below North Carolina. IMO 4wd trucks look better.

NickD
11-25-2010, 11:30 PM
I live in NC. I have 4x4 on my dodge truck. Its always something good to have because you really never know when you might need it. Thing is if you have 4x4 you wont ever need it. If you dont have it you will need it. Normally how it works! lol. I would probably never buy one without.

bighornjd
11-26-2010, 12:13 AM
Pretty much agree with what's been said already. Only thing I didn't see mentioned that can be helpful if you have 4x4 other than for traction issues is LOW RANGE. Can be helpful if you tow pretty heavy and have hilly terrain (I know - not much for hills in FL either) Saves wear and tear if you are heavy and need to manuever a trailer in a tight spot up hill, especially in reverse. Much easier on the tranny and/or clutch - and most autos have a pretty high reverse gear. I used 4wd low range just this week actually - and I was on dry pavement. Had to back a trailer with my pickup off the road up a fairly long and very steep driveway that was curvy and narrow. Truck and trailer were both loaded - probably about 21k gross. Nice being able to back the load up nice and slow at not much more than an idle. Only other advantage I can think of that hasn't been mentioned. Sounds like for your application you made the right choice. I for one could never live without 4wd, but then again we have lots of hills and then theres that strange white stuff...

Gravel Rat
11-26-2010, 09:28 PM
I have a feeling that Dodge was originally bought to pull a fifth wheel being it is a 2wd the hitch height is lower. Probably belonged to a old senior ciitzen the truck never went offroad or even seen snow.

The only drawback with a 2wd especially a Dodge is they are slow slung so if you do go over some rough ground there isn't that much ground clearance.

GravelyNut
11-27-2010, 09:47 AM
I have a feeling that Dodge was originally bought to pull a fifth wheel being it is a 2wd the hitch height is lower. Probably belonged to a old senior ciitzen the truck never went offroad or even seen snow.

The only drawback with a 2wd especially a Dodge is they are slow slung so if you do go over some rough ground there isn't that much ground clearance.

My stock 2wd Chevy dually is no lower than a stock 4wd Chevy dually. A locking rearend is a must though.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
11-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I have a 2wd great mpg draw back needed 4wd dozen or so times some my fault others just trying to unload at a dump.

South Florida Lawns
12-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Very true gravel rat. I checked the bed to see if there were holes from a 5th wheel or where a goose neck would have been, but theres nothing there nor on the frame.

The front does sit low to the ground but we have no rocks down here to damage anything on the underside.

Also my guys don't need to be driving a 4x4 truck, if they get stuck then there in a place where they shouldn't have been in the 1st place.

Capemay Eagle
12-02-2010, 02:02 PM

You don't need 4 WD what so ever in Florida, unless of course you are an offroader. Now if you live in the Northeast, then you have a different story. I myself don't need it much living along the shoreline (coast), but we had quite a few snow storms last year and some were in excess of 3 feet. I have to say that my truck is an 05 and last year was the first time I really ever needed 4WD. I have shift on the fly, so I have engaged it several times over the years when the roads became snow covered while I was traveling, but last was actually the first time I physically needed 4WD, cars were all over the roads stuck.

Allot of people have opinions on this subject and my opinion is that if you buy a truck it don't hurt to have 4WD no matter where you live. You never know when your going to need it and it may come in handy sometime or another. Now if you live in Florida or Arizona, you can certainly get away with out 4WD, I know myself If I moved to a year round warm climate, I would pass on the 4WD and add other options like heated seats and Navigation. Heated seats IMO are one of the best options ever put on a car, I use em all time, hot or cold, don't matter, my wife turned me onto them. I will NEVER by another vehicle without heated seats ever again.

newjerseylandscaping
12-06-2010, 01:30 AM
Just my opinion, A truck is a Truck, though you may not use it daily, it is something that you should always have. JMo but i also live in jersey were our 4x4 gets used for 4-5 months out of the year, also just a though, some people have been showing themselves pulling bushes out with there truck, just saying i wouldnt attempt it with a 4x2