PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to pay to dump loose leaves?

br549oicu8
11-22-2010, 08:45 AM
We've never been charged until last week for dumping ground, clean leaves. We have a curbside program and have never dealt with this before. The hopper holds 10 cubic yards and has hydraulic dumping. When we lift it, a brick of tightly compacted CLEAN leaves come out which the local transfer uses for mulch and they GIVE IT AWAY. I just don't get having to pay to dump the stuff they need, especially after several years and no changes in written policies.

WenzelOSLLC
11-22-2010, 10:23 AM
I use the county compost site and don't have to pay. (Well I do cause its paid for with taxes) It's not supposed to be used commercially but I asked the guy and he said as long as it's county residents yard waste I'm good. They do the same thing, make mulch and compost.

Do you have anything like this that might work? I don't see why they started charging you if there's no change in policies or the like.

br549oicu8
11-22-2010, 12:17 PM
I went to the County Commission meeting this morning over this issue. I stated my reasons, and the Solid Waste Director stated his, to the Commissioners. There was about a 40 minute discussion and it ended in my favor. We will be cleared of any charges to our account, and be able to dump leaves for free until something changes by resolution. The Solid Waste director was mildly scolded for charging fees that shouldn't have been assessed. I did volunteer to serve on a committee if they so choose to appoint one that will advise the Commission on any future proposal changes.
I think that's how you win. Stay involved.

Now I have the City to address. This resolved the County only. MOre to come as it happens.........................

Davedogwood
11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
we pay by the ton (40.00per ton) or by truck size depending on where you go to dump. Just a cost of doing business and cost is incorporated into job price.

br549oicu8
11-22-2010, 01:48 PM
If you have to pay, I think by weight is not fair. Wet leaves vs. dry leaves = HUGE difference in weight!!! I suggested to the County that if they must inflict a cost, that they do it by volume, not weight.
It sure varies by area...

LewisLawn
11-22-2010, 02:21 PM
I had a private individual allow me to dump at his place for a couple years. Now two of the bigger landscape material supply places in town actually across the street from each other allow landsapers who purchase supplies from them to dumpfor free and they too will turn the leaves into compost and mulch

rockycrab
11-22-2010, 02:38 PM
In Oregon we pay to dump most of the time. Anywhere from$6 to $10 per yard depending on the site. Most of our leaves our vacuumed up and thus chipped for a tighter load. We pick up or are charged an average of 700 yards per leaf season.
We keep as many as 200 yards to mulch ourselves at our location out of town.

grassman177
11-22-2010, 05:40 PM
commenting on the situation, i took the i think 12 cuyd leaf loader dump to the transfer station(county dump site) the other day and they charged us $40 to dump by weight when all these years it has been free of charge for grass and leaves only to dump as they sellit as compost anyways.
there was a new boss man there this year and he has made dumping a royal pain for every thing and winning this against him is pretty darn great from my end as he was a serious jerk every time i have to deal with this guy.

the law currently does not distinguish between commerical and residential when it comes to yard waste, only brush does it matter and so there the story goes...........................

STIHL GUY
11-22-2010, 05:50 PM
i have to pay to dump my leaves too but it is incorperated into the price of the cleanup

dKoester
11-22-2010, 06:03 PM
If you have land, learn how to make compost and use it in your landscape installs.

stan the man
11-22-2010, 07:02 PM
we have free dumping at the dump.it is closed tue and wed. i have 150 acre of land so i started dumping at home on the days closed. the dump turns it in compost mixing it with grass clipping and rotation . so i am going to try it.

grassman177
11-22-2010, 09:10 PM
we are not intersted at this time in making compost, but like that fact it is and promote that as alternative over bagging it for the curb and our preference.

Darryl G
11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
I can dump leaves at our transfer station (which used to be a landfill) for free but the hours are limited. Mon, Wed and Sat 8am to 3pm. Brush I have to pay for, but it's only $5 to $10/load.

GravelyGuy
11-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Commercial guys have to pay $10 per trailer or $5 per truck here. This is at the compost site that makes mulch. After October they close, and I have to go to the transfer station and it's more than that.

grassman177
11-23-2010, 05:06 PM
if we had to pay, at least those are reasonable costs you speak of.

rockycrab
11-23-2010, 06:51 PM
Right, I can be spending $60 or more for a 1 ton truck with a 10 yd box. 7 or 8 times a day during the battle of the season. This year now the bulk is over now its just running around picking up after the late droppers and migratory leaves.

StihlBR600
11-23-2010, 07:51 PM
The only dump near me charges $6 per yard, which sucks

Darryl G
11-23-2010, 07:55 PM
[QUOTE=StihlBR600;3800692]The only dump near me charges $6 per yard, which sucks[/QUOTE

Thats not bad. But how are they gonna know how many yards you got the leaves from? Just tell them it was a really big yard. lol

rockycrab
11-23-2010, 08:03 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

stan the man
11-23-2010, 08:07 PM
i am glad we have free dumping. looking at what you guy are paying

lawnpro724
11-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Around here we can still burn all of our fall cleanups. It may change someday but for now we can still burn the leaves we clean up.

Darryl G
11-24-2010, 12:38 AM
Around here we can still burn all of our fall cleanups. It may change someday but for now we can still burn the leaves we clean up.

That would be great. Do your customers mind if you down a few beers while you watch them burn? :laugh:

br549oicu8
11-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Here's a new frustration...
The guys taking unmarked trucks to dump their leaves are not charged. If you have your name, etc... on your truck they charge you commercial prices. Geeez!!! I know of one guy with a large trailer and commercial mower that he pulls on a trailer. He has to disconnect his trailer, and then back his pickup in and unload his leaves. You think the locals might have a clue that he is doing it commercialy. They are oblivious!
I won't tattle on him or the others....but it is frustrating we have to pay because we are honest and have our trucks lettered with name and logo.

grassman177
11-24-2010, 09:19 AM
that is bs, pure and simple.

where did this new frustration come from, they are not charging us anymore, so is this the city dump you are talking about?

br549oicu8
11-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Yep. Brush site on 2nd street.
We'll stay away from there until resolved.