PDA

View Full Version : Question for turfco bob on T3000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jgoddard8409
11-22-2010, 05:36 PM
I am a small residential lawncare co. Largest yard is 10000sf and smallest 2000sf. I was looking to invest in a sprayer (skid or trailer mounted) willing to go 4 - 5 k w/ electric reel. My question is, could the T3000 replace this? I dont spray trees, and any foliar applications I use my backpack sprayer anyway. Id be willing to shell out the extra $$ because I think it would be a real time and labor saver. I would appreciate your or anyones input.

Thanks

grassman177
11-22-2010, 06:43 PM
dude, if your largest lawn is 10K, you dont need a ride on. a hose and tank is great for small areas.

dont get me wrong, ride ons are great and we have three of them(zsprays). we rarely use the tankers now except as nurse tanks to fill the ride ons!

however, if you are small and only do small lawns, the upfront cost of a ride on unless used is a bit steep imo untill you gain more ground, no pun intended

just my thoughts

americanlawn
11-22-2010, 07:04 PM
Good question. I spoke with turfcobob this morning. He was heading out on a road trip, so he probably will not get your question for 3 or 4 days.

Here's my 2 cents:

I think it depends on how many accounts you currently have, and if you plan to grow your business. We recently sold an '08 T3000 to a guy with about 50 spray accounts (Milwaukee). He has one employee, and mainly does mowing & snow plowing. We "gave" this unit away for $3750. 677 hours on it.

In our market (Des Moines, IA), there are 7 or 8 guys who bought the T3000 who have less than 150 spray accounts (one guy has less than 50). Their income is mostly from mowing, but they wanted a T for several reasons:

Easier on the body
Had some large properties
Could carry it on their mower trailer
Planning to grow their business
Counted on the unit lasting a long time without any serious headaches/breakdowns

Other guys around here have several. We have three of them. We only worked one Saturday this fall. (In the past, we worked every Saturday during spring & fall). We started ten days late this spring, and we finished ten days early this fall. 2 of my T-Men even took 3 weeks vacation. Preliminary reports suggest that 2010 will be our most profitable year ever. Running T3000 spreader/sprayers made the difference for us. No overtime pay, our company competed well in our market, quality of results were unsurpassed, and we exceeded previous years' profit margins.

Smallest lawn treated = 800 s/f.

Not trying to sell T3000's here. You may want to consider a PG (biting my tongue). Also may want to compare a Z-Spray Jr ..........NOT the MAX :laugh:

Any Z-Spray guys have an opinion? Not enough lawns to justify a ride-on?

jgoddard8409
11-22-2010, 07:08 PM
I am hoping to grow this year majorly, so am kinda looking to the future. Any ideas where you could pick up a used z spray other than ebay???

DA Quality Lawn & YS
11-22-2010, 07:23 PM
I will tell you, I serviced 35 accounts or so with a used PG Centri this season.
From 5K sq ft through 45K sq ft. Did everything with the PG except the very smallest postage stamp lawns which I used my backpack on.

Best decision I made to go straight to a ride on. So much more nimble to use than dragging a skid on and off of a trailer or truck. Weed control was very good as well, I was happy.

So, I would recommend finding a used ride-on to start out, you wont be sorry.
Skip the skid.

rcreech
11-22-2010, 07:31 PM
Here is my opinion!

If you are wanting to grow and not be worn out at the end of the day...go with a ride on!

I bought my first ride on when I had about 40 accounts.
Lost sleep over spending so much money but I with not being full time I wanted to get the lawns done fast, and be able to apply granular fert and spray at the same time.

If your heart is truly in this and you want to grow...get you a ride on.

I would probably look at used also.

Too bad you don't live closer as I have a well used but in great shape PG.

PM me if you want the details as it will be going pretty cheap.

If you were to buy a good push spreader and a good skid sprayer you would easily spend $3-4000.

You can buy a good used ride on for $2000-3000 and it will be much less work and more effecient.

Good Luck!

RC

indyturf
11-22-2010, 08:04 PM
I agree with going with a used ride-on. I have used PG's for years and they have done a great job for me. I will be selling one of them, it will have a new tranny installed after the season is over. I have picked up some very large properties and going to look to add a Z-jr before spring.

turfcobob
11-22-2010, 09:33 PM
Some good answers here from some good guys who know what they are doing. Gotta tell you that a ride on for 50 accounts of the size you are looking at is a bit of overkill. You can knock out all of them in two days easy. One of our customers from Dover, Delaware actually did 44 in one day. His best day ever. If you start used (hopefully low time like Larry sold) you may be in the ball park. Like everone said they will dramatically improve your Production, Quality and leave your back UNBROKEN. As you move along feel free to call me, I would rather answer ?s on the phone than type all night. Cold here in Minnesota tonite, I wanna move to AZ
Turfcobob 402-783-2028 cell 402-432-2446

CHARLES CUE
11-22-2010, 10:02 PM
I'm with a used PG your willing to pay 5 grand for a skid sprayer. And i would guess you plan to add more accounts. I don't have to many more than you but mine go up to 5 acres and a ride on is the way to go.

Charles Cue

grassman177
11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
LT Rich zspray has a list of ones for sale used to help everyone out, give them a call too

Rayholio
11-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Yeah... my not-too-modivated employee can easily do 25 lawns in a day with the t3k.. on days when we're working in just one or two neighborhoods, 40 is not uncommon.

more importantly.. Happy customers.

I think the T3K looks far more professional and 'enviormentally friendly' than a truck, or trailer with a tank and hoses visible. (this is why TGCL puts that stuff into covered trucks)

However to really get the value out of the machine, I suggest either running it until the wheels fall off, or at least doubleing you chem accounts.

americanlawn
11-23-2010, 06:26 PM
If you are a 'cheapskate' like me, I'd do a "saved search" on ebay. I've found many used PG units there, a few Z-Spray units, and one Ohio T3000 (which we snatched up right away). Or you can go on the Permagreen website to view used PG's that are currently for sale....(once you contact them, try to dicker them down).

We will update/sell one of our T3000 units next fall, but that's probably too long for you to wait. I see that some LS friends might have Z's for sale. That's a possibility too. Maybe they can meet you half way?

I am hoping to grow this year majorly, so am kinda looking to the future. Any ideas where you could pick up a used z spray other than ebay???