PDA

View Full Version : thinking about getting a truck like this

vaacutabove
11-22-2010, 09:19 PM
I have been looking into a cab over with a dump. Im solo part time (full time hrs) and my daily driver 1500 is getting hammered pulling the trailer almost everyday. what do yall think about the removable dovetail.

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=1732287

C & T Landscaping
11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
Looks pretty sweet. I've never seen a cab over with the landscape body that dumps.

gene gls
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
To be worth while as a dump, it will need some solid sides. Haveing a dump opens up a whole new arena of work. Looks like a nice truck.

SNAPPER MAN
11-22-2010, 09:56 PM
Do yourself a favor and get a isuzu or fuso instead of the international. They are way better designed and proven trucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Southern Pride
11-22-2010, 10:09 PM
Damn. That truck is ideal. You must be doing pretty well @ it solo to need one of those solo. How many accounts do you handle weekly, if you don't mind me asking?

Grass Shark
11-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Check the insurance before you buy, they might :hammerhead: you!!

orlawncaresvc
11-23-2010, 01:31 AM
How much is that gonna cost? Probably be cheaper if you go with an izu or gmc.

TheGoat
11-23-2010, 01:55 AM
what is the justification for a dump bed when you have a dovetail?

Bumpmaster
11-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Hydrolic lift would be nice. The Registration fees and regular maintenance might kill the cost effectiveness of a ride like that. :canadaflag:

Richard Martin
11-23-2010, 05:26 AM
I'd be inclined to buy a 3/4 ton pickup if you think you have the need. I've been pulling a 16 foot trailer with my 1995 5.0 F-150 for a long time. It's almost up to 140,000 miles now. A 3/4 ton tiuck should surely do the job you need it to.

That International is almost 3 years old and it still hasn't sold. It makes me wonder why? If it had a 16 foot bed that would be a little better.

vaacutabove
11-23-2010, 08:16 AM
I only do about 35 mowing. but I do a tun of mulch, clean ups and getting bigger in landscape installs. Im almost to the point were I need some one full time. I have a friend help me about 2 days a week. didn't think to much about insurance but ill look into it. was wondering what ppl thought about the dump in with the removable dove tail.

Richard Martin
11-23-2010, 08:34 AM
I was wondering what ppl thought about the dump in with the removable dove tail.

If it were me I'd be more inclined to buy a dump trailer. To use one single vehicle for all jobs doesn't make sense. If you want to cut grass and you haven't unloaded the 4 yards of dirt that you picked up on the way home you're going to have to get rid of the dirt somewhere first. Then load the mowers, do the jobs for the day and reload the dirt.

I think that those types of trucks are more single purpose. Either use it to cut grass or as a landscaping truck. The dovetail just expands the potential uses of the truck.

gene gls
11-23-2010, 08:43 AM
I'd be inclined to buy a 3/4 ton pickup if you think you have the need. I've been pulling a 16 foot trailer with my 1995 5.0 F-150 for a long time. It's almost up to 140,000 miles now. A 3/4 ton tiuck should surely do the job you need it to.

That International is almost 3 years old and it still hasn't sold. It makes me wonder why? If it had a 16 foot bed that would be a little better.

I don't think most guys will want to mess with the removeable dovetail. Plus, it needs solid sides. I used my 3/4 ton for years before I got my dump. Once you get a dump, there is a whole new work base availiable. And right away you think, why didn't I do this sooner. I made my sides so they were removable, by one person, and ended up never taking them off except to put on my sander.

vaacutabove
11-23-2010, 10:00 AM
I have been looking at the dump trailers for two years still have not pulled the trigger. I have been debating on not turning down work next year and taking on someone full time. I would go with a NPR. there is a custom truck place about 5 miles up the road was going to see how much it would be to build. If Im going bigger I need new truck and trailer. this would hopefully be better setup

rcslawncare
11-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Sweet concept, but the extra costs will be very high. Foe what that thing cost, you could probably buy a nice 3/4 ton truck, new lawn care trailer and dump trailer. Id rather have that combo that one to do everything. All that registration and insurance would be close, if not less that that truck itself! Good luck on what every you decide!!

Southern Pride
11-24-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't understand the big use of a dove tail? That is just where the end of the trailer declines to the gate right? I completely understand the use of a "dump" trailer though.

My 12ft trailer has a dovetail, just makes loading a better angle.

35 yards wow. I'm right behind you (25) but not doing any big landscape installs. Just cuts, mulch, hedge, trees, and alot of leaf cleanups. I don't really have an opinion about the truck as long as it is justified with your schedule and all. It would make more sense to have if you were running a 3 man crew fulltime though without tying up your primary vehicle.

walker-talker
11-24-2010, 09:27 PM
I have a 1991 model I picked up off ebay. It had around 120,000 (which is really low for the type of truck and year) and I picked it up for $6700....which I though was a steak. It has a 3.9 liter diesel with a 14' dump bed on it. I wanted a dump bed because I collect grass. Oh...it's an Isuzu btw.

oldclawn
11-25-2010, 12:44 AM
We have 3 of these flatbeds and would never be without. The insurance is no different than on your other pick ups trucks and they are super easy to drive. One is a 2007 W4500 GMC with this dump bed. Purchased new in spring of 2008. We have taken the upper storage box off and put under the bed where it is more useful. This particular unit has only 49,000 miles and will be listed for sale as its the only dump unit we have like this and we do not use it as we have since purchased a dedicated dump truck and this unit is on the landscape schedule. Flawless condition--dealer serviced--new cost at Neely Coble at around $56,000. 19" bed (14'/5'). Both sides drop. Holds several mowers-lots of mulch-- Only asking $33,000. PM me for more information

topsites
11-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Excuse me but why do you have a 1/2 ton, was it just an impulse buy?

Because this sounds like it's fixing to be another and I don't mean to come down hard
but when you're running a business you really need to think about what you're doing
because I am thinking you're starting to figure out that you bought the wrong truck
to begin with but now you're fixing to get yourself in more hot water.

The first thing you'll need is a TON of cash so you might want to start saving,
folks like us don't buy trucks like these on payment and I can tell you straight up if you
start saving today, maybe in 8-10 years you can buy one of those trucks there.

Check the insurance before you buy, they might :hammerhead: you!!

Yeah don't forget to find out first how much it's going to set you back straight up, too.
Them trucks ain't cheap, not even remotely.

We have 3 of these flatbeds ....Flawless condition--dealer serviced--new cost at Neely Coble at around $56,000. 19" bed (14'/5'). Both sides drop. Holds several mowers-lots of mulch-- Only asking $33,000. PM me for more information

Yeah well that should took care of it there.

Look here...
Start saving your money and remember, us solos, we're small fry.
Once you have what you can scrape together, start looking for a USED 3/4 ton.

oldclawn
11-25-2010, 01:11 AM
"us solos--we're small fry"----wrong---always think big--not small

Jpocket
11-25-2010, 10:00 AM
Sweet concept, but the extra costs will be very high. Foe what that thing cost, you could probably buy a nice 3/4 ton truck, new lawn care trailer and dump trailer. Id rather have that combo that one to do everything. All that registration and insurance would be close, if not less that that truck itself! Good luck on what every you decide!!

You hit the nail on the head

Jpocket
11-25-2010, 10:09 AM
Excuse me but why do you have a 1/2 ton, was it just an impulse buy?

Because this sounds like it's fixing to be another and I don't mean to come down hard
but when you're running a business you really need to think about what you're doing
because I am thinking you're starting to figure out that you bought the wrong truck
to begin with but now you're fixing to get yourself in more hot water.

The first thing you'll need is a TON of cash so you might want to start saving,
folks like us don't buy trucks like these on payment and I can tell you straight up if you
start saving today, maybe in 8-10 years you can buy one of those trucks there.

Yeah don't forget to find out first how much it's going to set you back straight up, too.
Them trucks ain't cheap, not even remotely.

Yeah well that should took care of it there.

Look here...
Start saving your money and remember, us solos, we're small fry.
Once you have what you can scrape together, start looking for a USED 3/4 ton.

I typically dont argree with topsites but he does have a point here. I'm not counting your money but a truck like you're talking about may cost brand new what alot of solo ops gross in a year.

clydebusa
11-25-2010, 10:40 AM
I've posted this before. I ran a dump trailer, LCO trailer with f450 truck for years. This last spring bought a 350 9' dump truck. Since then the dump trailer has done 2 loads out of 70+ loads this summer. The speed of a dump truck is 2nd to none. Speed as in dumping, going to the sight and getting it in tight areas is such a big plus. That truck looks sweet, but not sure about the removable dove tail. But if you can get it cheap go for it!

cps
01-16-2011, 05:44 PM
This is some truck you are looking at! Now you need to determine how well it fits YOUR needs. I personally would never consider this truck! Not that its a bad truck but it looks like you would be limited to transporting equipment. How would you pick up pick up bulk mulch or top soil? Do you bag any of your laws? What would you do with what you bagged? I just changed my set up to a 1 ton Chevy 3500 dump with a 10' rack body with 4' solid sides, and I tow a typical open 16' landscape trailer with a rear ramp. With this setup not only can I get all my equipment to a site but I can also pick up soil or mulch and dump it at the site. In the Fall it works out great we just dump leaves in the back of the truck and dump them at the end of the day. But at the end of the day only you know what works best for you!

Frank's Lawn Care
02-04-2011, 01:09 AM
If you were hauling off waste i could see it. Here places will deliver your bulk mulch for free, loads of dirt also. Think its a 8yd load for $100-$110. and a yard here is $15-$25 if you pick up. Get a new pick up and enjoy the savings. Some times its worth other ppl delivering.