PDA

View Full Version : Leaf mulching

Mike Kendall
11-22-2010, 09:22 PM
I get about 200 bushels of leaves a week during leaf season.
I'm looking for the best way to pick up and mulch my leaves.
My craftsman lawn sweeper works but leaves me a ton of leaves to compost at the end of the season. and 2-3 hours of collection time a week . I'm looking to get big reduction in leaves with the least amount of work.

I mow with a Dixie chopper classic 50" mower. on a fairly wooded 1 acre lot.
I was looking at a peco catching system with a pony motor, or a cyclone rake.
I see little info on the leaf reduction of the peco system, I'm looking for suggestions for the best leaf removal systems. My grass dies and does not come back with mulching alone.

Thanks for any help.

MIKE

sdk1959
11-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I get about 200 bushels of leaves a week during leaf season.
I'm looking for the best way to pick up and mulch my leaves.
My craftsman lawn sweeper works but leaves me a ton of leaves to compost at the end of the season. and 2-3 hours of collection time a week . I'm looking to get big reduction in leaves with the least amount of work.

I mow with a Dixie chopper classic 50" mower. on a fairly wooded 1 acre lot.
I was looking at a peco catching system with a pony motor, or a cyclone rake.
I see little info on the leaf reduction of the peco system, I'm looking for suggestions for the best leaf removal systems. My grass dies and does not come back with mulching alone.

Thanks for any help.

MIKE

If you don't want to make a lot of trips to unload your bags at your compost pile, run over the leaves first mulching them, then put your bagger on to pick-up the mulched leaves. When you bag straight it only reduces the leaves about 3:1, when you mulch them first it's more like 15-20:1. The leaves will also decompose faster when mulched finer.

Mike Kendall
11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
I was more looking into the peco catching system for leaf collection only.
Do i need the pony motor with this setup.
Cost is not a problem but to hassle with two motors might be.

Any thoughts.

Thanks Mike.

sven1277
11-24-2010, 01:44 PM
Ditto what sdk said. Mulching first makes sucking dry leaves much more efficient. Yes to the pony motor. You want the additional cfm's it will put out. Otherwise you will clog your tube regularly.