PDA

View Full Version : lighting up hedges

CANADIAN MIKE
11-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Any ideas on properly lighting up hedges, hedges are well manicured, 50 feet wide with a height of 10 feet. Only delema is that fixture has to be within 1 foot of hedge line.

Classic Lighting
11-23-2010, 11:22 AM
A picture is worth 1,000 words.

trailboss
11-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Without seeing it I would have to say - equally spaced Well Lights with wide beam BAB's or Grazing with bullets from a couple points. Hard to say without a pic.
Steve

Tomwilllight
11-29-2010, 08:21 PM
I'd go with the in-grade units with an ESX or FRA and a "linear spread lens". The linear spread lens distributed by Unique has a "tight" distribution on the narrow axis while the Abrisa lens is "looser." Both could work... it depends on how "manicured" the hedge is.

Good quality in-grades will avoid accidental refocus by lawnmowers and small children.

Tom

Oh yeah... a photo would help.

CANADIAN MIKE
11-30-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd go with the in-grade units with an ESX or FRA and a "linear spread lens". The linear spread lens distributed by Unique has a "tight" distribution on the narrow axis while the Abrisa lens is "looser." Both could work... it depends on how "manicured" the hedge is.

Good quality in-grades will avoid accidental refocus by lawnmowers and small children.

Tom

Oh yeah... a photo would help.

thanks Tom, the linear lens you are talking about is the one that has the lines through it? There is no grass in the back yard and yes the hedges are well manicured:canadaflag:

Tomwilllight
11-30-2010, 01:09 PM
Right. You will want to use a spot such as the ESX or FRA and orient the "lines" in the lens so they are perpendicular to the hedge. The spots will "fan out" to cover more of the hedge than a flood would; less light is wasted.

I'd strongly suggest you mock-up using at least 2 uplights to find out how the edges of the fan will blend and how closely you'll have to space the fixtures to cover the hedge to your (and your client's) satisfaction.

The Abrisa lens are more forgiving (a more blob-like extended oval) while the Unique lens create a tight and precise narrow line. Both are useful and should be in all Lighting Designers' Bag of Tricks.

No grass? Good, then all you need to worry about is fast moving small mammals... or clumsy large ones.

Tom

irrig8r
11-30-2010, 01:56 PM
The biggest issue as far as I'm concerned with lighting up hedges is one of how much damage the L/S maint. crew will do to your fixtures. Ladders and hedge trimmers and clumsy footfalls can wreak havoc, knocking fixtures out of adjustment or breaking them. And then there's the trimmings and debris on the lens issue. Make sure you have a conversation with the homeowner and the L/S maint. lead guy about who is responsible for what ahead of time.