PDA

View Full Version : What's so great about diesel pick-ups?

procut
11-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Am I missing something here. I get so sick of everyone acting like I'm some kind of dumb@ss for not buying diesel trucks. I realize they have more power, but what are you going to pull with a pick-up truck that is so heavy you couldn't do it with a gas v8?

As far as the mileage thing goes, I think a lot of those claims are overrated. If you can get someone to be honest, from what I can tell the diesel trucks are only getting a few mpg better than a gas v8. Plus, diesel fuel is always significantly more than gasoline. When I priced out a new truck a while back the diesel was a $7200 option! $7200 buys a lot of gas.

Also, it seems like diesels are a maintenance nightmare and are more trouble prone, especially the older ones. ie. injectors.

As far as I'm concerned diesel pick-up trucks are pointless, and guys just buy them for macho thing most the time. So, diesel freaks, convince me other wise - why should I buy one? "Because they sound cool" is not an acceptable answer.

JB1
11-23-2010, 09:32 PM
you would not understand, "Its a Diesel thing".

procut
11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
you would not understand, "Its a Diesel thing".

Gaaahhhhrrr, this is all anyone will tell me. Try again, this isn't an acceptable answer either. If some one could give me some real reasons I might be a little more receptive.

Junior M
11-23-2010, 09:49 PM
I'll show you a few things where diesel is nice to have:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/JLM88_bucket/pictures005.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/JLM88_bucket/33658_1549830898577_1019235188_31483208_3923003_n.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/JLM88_bucket/34429_1564808032996_1019235188_31513182_5472369_n.jpg

This is my personal pick up(6.0 Vortec) With that load I get around 7 or less mpg. And its nothing impressive on the interstate. Its easier just to stay in the right lane instead of beating up my truck, running 3grand and sucking twice as much gas.. It'll do it, but its not easy on my wallet..

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/JLM88_bucket/430.jpg

punt66
11-23-2010, 09:49 PM
Gaaahhhhrrr, this is all anyone will tell me. Try again, this isn't an acceptable answer either. If some one could give me some real reasons I might be a little more receptive.

Diesel engines last longer, pull harder and are easy to maintain. But they are not cost effective if you dont need to haul heavy trailers. If i were pulling 20' plus enclosed trailers full of equipment everyday i would be pulling with a diesel. But if your pulling 12' trailers around its pointless. I run gas. I dont want to plug my truck in in the winter, smell the fumes or hear the noise. Thats just me.

procut
11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Diesel engines last longer, pull harder and are easy to maintain. But they are not cost effective if you dont need to haul heavy trailers. If i were pulling 20' plus enclosed trailers full of equipment everyday i would be pulling with a diesel. But if your pulling 12' trailers around its pointless. I run gas. I dont want to plug my truck in in the winter, smell the fumes or hear the noise. Thats just me.

Sounds you and I are about on the same page on this.

hosejockey2002
11-23-2010, 10:03 PM
I like diesel trucks, and I would prefer to drive one, BUT the extra cost just does not pencil out for my needs. I do agree that many diesel truck users have them just because they like them, not that they really need one. I have a gas pickup, and it was fully $10,000 cheaper than a comparable diesel model at the time I bought it. Yes, the diesel gets better mileage and will pull heavier loads, but my gas truck is more than adequate for my needs, and the numbers would never work in the diesel's favor with the amount of miles that I drive. Also, with the recent emission requirements for diesels, it is becoming more common to illegally modify and delete emission equipment on these trucks in order to make them reliable and economical.

So, I would say that a diesel truck only makes sense if you either:

Tow in excess of 10,000 pounds on a regular basis and/or drive more than 20,000 miles a year, OR

If you are a boy-racer ****** who wants to pretend that your pickup is actually a real truck.

kps2389
11-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Before 2007 when all the Big 3 had to start putting all the emissions BS on the trucks diesel trucks got a lot better fuel mileage, were more reliable and lasted to 300,000 miles or more if they were properly maintained. Now almost all diesel trucks suck on fuel compared to what it used to be. They break down more and are overall less reliable. If I were to buy a brand new truck it would be a gas truck. If I bought a used truck 2007 or older probably a diesel.

KPS
11-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I used to think along the same lines as you until I got a diesel truck. I tow 10,000-12,000 lbs every day of the week and while a gasser will do it, a diesel does it without groaning. In fact it loves having a load behind it. Now if you are only pulling around a mower or two than a gasser is fine, but for serious towing there is no choice but diesel. Plus....Have you ever heard a 6.0 powerstroke turbo whistle at 20+ P.S.I. ?

SimonCX
11-23-2010, 11:09 PM
I think that sumed it up prefect, one more thing to add is if anything breaks on a diesel you better have deep pockets even if you fix it yourself, don't ask how I found this out. I have 2 diesels and 1 gas truck and my next truck will be another gas truck, all the emissions killed diesel engines.

procut
11-24-2010, 12:18 AM
Lots of good responses. I think that diesel pick-ups have their place in the world, but it's quite limited. The point I was more or less trying to make was that it seems like about 90% of the people who buy them really don't need them. To each his own, I guess.

JB1
11-24-2010, 12:22 AM
Lots of good responses. I think that diesel pick-ups have their place in the world, but it's quite limited. The point I was more or less trying to make was that it seems like about 90% of the people who buy them really don't need them. To each his own, I guess.
\

that's what makes the world go around, people buying stuff they don't need. God bless america.

mowerbrad
11-24-2010, 10:45 AM
When I was shopping for a truck this past year, I was set on buying a diesel at first but ended up going with gas truck. I talked to so many people on here about it and talked to many mechanics in my area about the diesel vs gas thing. Here's what I found.

With a diesel you will typically get better mileage (towing, city, highway). So if you are driving on the highway alot, several hundred miles each week (like 500 miles), you will see the diesel benefits. If you are towing heavy loads (ie, skid steers, mini excavators, multiple mowers on a large trailer, etc) you will find that the truck handles the wieght alot better. The truck will accelerate better and maintain its speed better. But, the diesel trucks come with a price...several thousand dollars more when new and maintenance is outrageously expensive. If you have an older diesel engine, you will find that repairs are much cheaper. Once you start getting into the newer engines (2001+) you will find that repairs only start to get costly and only become more expensive as the engines become newer. If you have something break on a new 2010 or 2011 diesel, you better have a ton of money to drop on the repair.

With a gas truck, it all depends on what engine you go with. My 6.0L Chevy gets great mileage on the highway and even in the city (17-18 highway, 13-14 city)...towing is the only time the mileage drops below 10mpg. I have a 10,000# towing capacity, so I could tow pretty much anything that I will need (mowers, skid steer, etc). Maintenance is simple and cheap on these trucks, so when something breaks, its not going to cause you to go into poverty.

Sure the diesels have a longer life expectancy usually, but you can still see 200k+ out of the gas engines.

That is pretty much what I have found.

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare
11-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Different strokes for different folks. I've had exp with both and I really think it is a personal choice. I have a gas truck now and like good strong american v8 but I made the mistake of getting a gasser. Will the truck do what I need it to yes, but how it does it is very important. Price at the time is why I got mine to go back though I would a diesel. This is me though I personally don't like to be towing something that is close to the desgin limits of a truck. I work on all my stuff so I can see the damage inflicted by using something at it's limit. So my personal opinion what ever you get if you are at 75% capacity what you have is not enough. So if you can tow 10k and you are towing 7.5k or more time to upgrade. Just as a thought I like to have more than I need just b/c things come up that you don't forsee and you are either in trouble or gonna break something, so I can get something with the most capibilty that you can afford, and just as an argument for desiel 11 sec 1/4miles and big smokey 4wheel burnouts on 37 mudders are awsome and i have yet to see a gasser do that, but then again Im not gonna break my stuff to look cool so thats why you dumb friends to it.

G. Ramey
11-24-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah I,ve heard a 6.0 powerstruggle whistle. I,ve also heard the turbo hose blow off on a regular basis, and heard it cough and sputter when the poorly designed fuel filter leaks air and heard the engine turn over without starting because the injectors have failed. If your going to convince someone to buy a diesel don't use the sick.o flowerstroke as an example. Hopefully the new powerstroke will be as good as the original 7.3 was. The truth is diesels will outpull a gasburner,but the fuel economy is not much better and maintenance is much higher. If you need a 3/4 ton truck buy a gasburner and save some money.If you pull more than 10,000 lbs go up to a 450 or 4500 and buy a diesel.

GravelyGuy
11-24-2010, 05:58 PM
I have 3/4 ton gas and 3/4 ton diesel and I definitely don't think the extra 8K+ for the diesel is a waste. You will get most of that money back if you decide to sell it plus the advantages of tons of power and better MPG while you own it.

I can't brag about the reliability of my new 6.7 yet, but I can tell you that the MPG is awesome and more power than any 3/4 should have!

Also, for those of you that don't like the stink and clack. The exhaust smells like clean air, better than what you breath. The tailpipe is spotless. My 5.4 gas tailpipe is black:rolleyes:

It is also very quiet, no need to shut it off at drive throughs etc. Mine is getting louder with more miles though which is fine with me.

JB1
11-24-2010, 06:11 PM
I have 3/4 ton gas and 3/4 ton diesel and I definitely don't think the extra 8K+ for the diesel is a waste. You will get most of that money back if you decide to sell it plus the advantages of tons of power and better MPG while you own it.

I can't brag about the reliability of my new 6.7 yet, but I can tell you that the MPG is awesome and more power than any 3/4 should have!

Also, for those of you that don't like the stink and clack. The exhaust smells like clean air, better than what you breath. The tailpipe is spotless. My 5.4 gas tailpipe is black:rolleyes:

It is also very quiet, no need to shut it off at drive throughs etc. Mine is getting louder with more miles though which is fine with me.

I have heard good things about the mpg's, what are you getting.

GravelyGuy
11-24-2010, 06:19 PM
I have heard good things about the mpg's, what are you getting.

I will have to get back to you about the loaded MPG becuase I've done very little towing as of now. Empty city driving I have been easily getting 17-18.

I took it down to GIE a few weeks back and went 70+ the entire trip and it got 20 MPG round trip. If you keep it under 70 I've been able to get 22+ on county roads.

I only have 3500 miles on it so I would expect it to go up slightly.

KPS
11-24-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah I,ve heard a 6.0 powerstruggle whistle. I,ve also heard the turbo hose blow off on a regular basis, and heard it cough and sputter when the poorly designed fuel filter leaks air and heard the engine turn over without starting because the injectors have failed. If your going to convince someone to buy a diesel don't use the sick.o flowerstroke as an example. Hopefully the new powerstroke will be as good as the original 7.3 was. The truth is diesels will outpull a gasburner,but the fuel economy is not much better and maintenance is much higher. If you need a 3/4 ton truck buy a gasburner and save some money.If you pull more than 10,000 lbs go up to a 450 or 4500 and buy a diesel.

Your opinion there bud :rolleyes: I was not telling him to buy a ford diesel, I love mine and it does what it was made for very well , TOW!! A little mower or two does not fall into the category of heavy hauling and therefore a gasser is the undisputed best chioce for that application. BTW your ignorant comments about the powerstroke diesel are childish, don't ruin this thread with that garbage :nono:

Petr51488
11-24-2010, 08:47 PM
I have both the 6.0 gas and the 6.6 diesel. Driving empty on the highway i get double in the diesel than i do with the gas. No exageration. Pulling a load with the diesel is effortless where as the gas you can hear it struggle. Oddly enough, the mileage with pulling the same load is pretty close but again, with the diesel its effortless and your foot isnt through the floor to maintain speed on the highway. Both trucks have their place.

justanotherlawnguy
11-25-2010, 01:16 AM
they are great for towing monster loads on a daily basis, like some of the pics above. if your towing big trailers and big equipment and materials on a DAILY basis, then diesels are a must.

I think what the original post is leaning towards is what 97% of lawn guys NEED on a daily basis. I have seen more then enough (and it makes me crazy) 250's, 350's, 2500 and 3500's with diesels towing a 10 foot lawn trailer with a walk behind on it. (alot of firemen with ego's who gotta have a diesel and an extra job to avoid spending time with their family also)

I switch between a 16" enclosed trailer with all the lawn goodies and a 14" dump trailer and my 1500hd with 6.0 is more than capable. There may be a handful of times during the year when I wish I had a diesel, like when towing 2 or 2.5 pallets of sod or towing a load of rock. Those times are few and far between. If I have to make an extra trip then so be it, that does not justify a DIESEL TRUCK.

I am looking at getting a Isuzu with a 14 foot dump on it and will probably get a gas version. WHY? because yard waste isnt that heavy, and I am hauling it one way, to the dump and I am never more than 15 miles away.....

oh well, that is my take and my 2 cents on the diesel deal.....

hosejockey2002
11-26-2010, 04:00 PM
(alot of firemen with ego's who gotta have a diesel and an extra job to avoid spending time with their family also)

Why the hate?? Did you take a couple of tests and not do so well?

GravelyNut
11-27-2010, 09:36 AM
You have to sit down and run all the numbers to see if the Diesel or the gasoline engine is the better value for you. Most times the break even point is around 250K miles. My 8.1getting 12 MPG cost $0.241 for fuel per mile. A Diesel getting 15 MPG will cost $0.216 for fuel per mile. Figure $5000 extra to start and just in fuel cost you are at 200K. Injectors vs plugs twice in that time will bump it to 250K miles. If a Diesel fuel pump goes out or an injection pump fails, the Diesel will never catch up in the 250K. The gas engine will need more oil to make it happy but the Diesel will catch up in oil use at every change. If you have to fight long hills with full loads all the time the Diesel will maybe be your better bet. But few people actually run them that way as an LCO.

Darryl G
11-27-2010, 10:42 AM
I took a hard look at getting a diesel when I bought my truck. It was a $6k difference in price. Considering the low mileage I put on my truck (about 5k miles a year), I figured it would rot off the frame before I reached the payback point on it as far as fuel savings and longevity. And I don't tow that heavy on a regular basis. My 2500HD with the 6.0L handles my 10k gross dump trailer fine but all it usually tows is a single axel 12 footer which it handles like it's not even there.

PROPERTYLAWNSERVICELLC
11-28-2010, 10:47 AM
deisels pull more weight with ease = more $$$$
Gassers pull less weight and work harder=less $$

pitrack
11-28-2010, 08:25 PM
(alot of firemen with ego's who gotta have a diesel and an extra job to avoid spending time with their family also)

Congrats, I think that belongs in my top 5 most ignorant posts on this site.

Hahahah:laugh:

Why diesel? The fact that sometimes I forget I'm pulling anything, or being able to have 37" tires on my truck and still pull 15k pounds and not have to stand on the pedal. Or when I'm not pulling anything getting 17mpgs in the city (Still on 37's). Or being able to add 40, 70 or 100 hp to my truck with the click of a button.

Maintenance? I change my oil just like everyone with a gas engine does, except not every 3k miles:waving:

I'll never own another gas pickup, unless it's a half ton and diesel isn't an option.

Keith Gordon
11-28-2010, 08:56 PM
I have a 99 Ford Diesel power stroke F-350 and it's a beast. I also have a Dodge Ram 2002 1500 they're both totaly different..Dodge I use for estimates and gutter jobs ect but the 350 is just a work horse it's very good on gas I have a leaf box on it now and winter plow with it. I would recommend a Diesel if you could afford the expensive price tag that goes with it It's well worth it.

joef450snowplow
12-04-2010, 06:36 AM
I used to think along the same lines as you until I got a diesel truck. I tow 10,000-12,000 lbs every day of the week and while a gasser will do it, a diesel does it without groaning. In fact it loves having a load behind it. Now if you are only pulling around a mower or two than a gasser is fine, but for serious towing there is no choice but diesel. Plus....Have you ever heard a 6.0 powerstroke turbo whistle at 20+ P.S.I. ?

"6.0 powerstroke turbo whistle at 20+ P.S.I." music to my ears

AI Inc
12-04-2010, 07:24 AM
Sounds you and I are about on the same page on this.

Ya can add me to that list for reasons mentioned.

justanotherlawnguy
12-04-2010, 11:44 AM

You couldn't pay me enough to be a fire fighter! I've dealt with fireman before and for the most part 99% of them aren't nice. They tend to have a holier then thou attitude. I have done alot of work for ex wives of fireman, and they talk alot. I used to play softball, and the team everyone hated was the cocky fireman team. I drive by alot of stations during the week and that's all you see there is trucks, cause they all have side jobs. True or not?

While I appreciate the job they do, I just don't care for them personally. Most just don't have the stones to say it.
Posted via Mobile Device

mowman22
12-05-2010, 07:22 PM
"I have 3/4 ton gas and 3/4 ton diesel and I definitely don't think the extra 8K+ for the diesel is a waste. You will get most of that money back if you decide to sell it plus the advantages of tons of power and better MPG while you own it.

Also, for those of you that don't like the stink and clack. The exhaust smells like clean air, better than what you breath. The tailpipe is spotless. My 5.4 gas tailpipe is black

It is also very quiet, no need to shut it off at drive throughs etc. Mine is getting louder with more miles though which is fine with me"......................

Ditto, of course I drive a cummins but I'm a ford guy at heart.:weightlifter:

nepatsfan
12-05-2010, 07:45 PM
"6.0 powerstroke turbo whistle at 20+ P.S.I." music to my ears

Me three. I have two 6.0 diesels. I love them. I cant wait to buy the scorpion

meador56
12-08-2010, 12:55 AM
I have 3 GMC's 2 454's and a 6.0 a F-250 with a 5.4 and a '95 Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins that is turned up and pulls like a mad bull. We are Hardscape contractors and pull a 14' dump, 16' enclosed, 16' open, and 20' g-neck flat. We pull 6 tons rock with 99 GMC 3500 454 5spd. grossing 23-24000 does just fine. Dodge does better but may make a 10 mile trip minute or 2 faster. 5.4 seems smoother than 6.0 GMC but gets better milage. GMC 5500 454 allison runs fine gets 5-7 mpg but only 3-4000 miles a year. Miles vary from 122k to214k. A buddy just bought new F 350 srw crew cab 4x4 King Ranch $63,800 msrp. T S Performance put controller on it. Estimated HP 675 Torque 1100+ and it runs like its all there nice nice. But taxes tags chip and all out the door at nearly 60K yeah I know XL knocks off nearly 10 k but. I figure I've got less than 55k in my whole fleet trailers included and theres one thing 2 trucks can do that 1 can't. Be in 2 places at once. So are you working for you or Detroit, I'm working for me and my family and trucks are commodity whose cost can really vary.

pinecrestwoods
12-08-2010, 01:10 AM
The last truck I bought was just the right one at the right time, and it happened to be a diesel. '06 2500HD with the duramax/allison combo. Pulling my 8x18 enclosed, loaded with mowers, with maybe some stuff in the bed (random blocks, debris, dirt, mulch), my truck-o-meter tells me I'm averaging around 12mpg- that's highway and city combined. As OP stated, the extra cost of the diesel combo will buy a lot of gas. I agree. But I like my truck. It's got way more grunt than the 3/4 ton suspension can handle (been there... twice).

Next truck..... I'll probably look for a diesel, but won't kick a gasser to the curb if it has everything else I want.

I consider myself a "reasonable" diesel owner. haha.

mowerbrad
12-08-2010, 01:17 AM
I should mention that I have driven duramax trucks, cummins trucks and powerstroke trucks. They were all different years. I've driven an LB7 duramax, 7.3 and 6.0 powerstroke and 5.9 cummins. The duramax felt "sportier" and faster than any of the others. A fairly quiet engine compared to the others. The 7.3 powerstroke felt pretty powerful, but it also felt like I was driving a much larger truck (it was only a 1-ton truck). The 7.3 was slower to accelerate but seemed to have plenty of power. The 6.0 powerstrokes I drove felt slow and not that powerful. One was an 06 F350 dually and one an 04 F250, both felt slow and lacking of power compared to the others. The 5.9 cummins really felt and sounded like your steriotypical diesel (loud), but it really didn't impress me all that much.

I liked the duramax truck the best, but it all comes down to personal preference. I liked how the duramax drove better than the others. To me, Duramax=sporty&powerful, Powerstoke=slow&powerful, and the cummins is just nothing too impressive.

exmark user
12-20-2010, 10:28 PM
i love my 12 valve / iesels are a luxury are so wicked plus way better fuel mileage and it sounds good with tons of power and i dont see how yoour 14 wiyh 600 accounts

DollarSign
12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
i love my 12 valve / iesels are a luxury are so wicked plus way better fuel mileage and it sounds good with tons of power and i dont see how yoour 14 wiyh 600 accounts

You don't have a Cummins, you need to stop going to every single thread and lying. And that guy is joking about being 14 :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead: He did more in this industry in 2 yrs then you ever will.

exmark user
12-21-2010, 09:05 PM
yes i do 98 12 valve larime edition 160,000k red cloth seats long bed

meets1
12-21-2010, 09:45 PM
My personal truck is a 2011 D-max. I had 08 D-max. I also own 6 3/4 trucks all with gas. They are fine, 2003 - 2009 reg cab GMC's. They pull the lawn trailers around. Sometimes loaded with block, sod etc but when loaded with this gas is ok but my diesel is awesome.

So most time when heavy hauling or moving to jobsites or whatever, diesel all the way.

But for the guys riding around town with a 12ft trailer and a diesel engine - That I don't get.

nwimaintenance
12-23-2010, 11:34 PM
much better fuel economy

scagrider22
12-24-2010, 12:57 AM
You couldn't pay me enough to be a fire fighter! I've dealt with fireman before and for the most part 99% of them aren't nice. They tend to have a holier then thou attitude. I have done alot of work for ex wives of fireman, and they talk alot. I used to play softball, and the team everyone hated was the cocky fireman team. I drive by alot of stations during the week and that's all you see there is trucks, cause they all have side jobs. True or not?

While I appreciate the job they do, I just don't care for them personally. Most just don't have the stones to say it.
Posted via Mobile Device

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Very true, 90% of fireman around here are hard a$$e$ that abuse and cheat on there wives, have a side business for extra cash because they cant manage money, drive a crew cab long bed f-350 diesel with every autozone add on you can buy, and the value of there toys exceeds what they make in two years. I loved it when I was a fighter all the "tuff" fireman and cops would come to the gym for one day and get humbled, 9 out of 10 never came back! some where good guys and Im still friends with a few of them but I could do without the majority of them.
As far as diesels go they have there place but its not pulling a mowing trailer, you could find pros and cons until you turn blue but most dont need a diesel. I have both and I personally think the diesel is a must for hardscaping but its also a pain in my a$$!

nepatsfan
12-25-2010, 12:31 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Very true, 90% of fireman around here are hard a$$e$ that abuse and cheat on there wives, have a side business for extra cash because they cant manage money, drive a crew cab long bed f-350 diesel with every autozone add on you can buy, and the value of there toys exceeds what they make in two years. I loved it when I was a fighter all the "tuff" fireman and cops would come to the gym for one day and get humbled, 9 out of 10 never came back! some where good guys and Im still friends with a few of them but I could do without the majority of them.
As far as diesels go they have there place but its not pulling a mowing trailer, you could find pros and cons until you turn blue but most dont need a diesel. I have both and I personally think the diesel is a must for hardscaping but its also a pain in my a$$!

Sounds like you got everything pretty well figured out. This post makes tons of sense. (No, I am not a fireman) Hmmmmmm......let me get this straight. 90% of fireman drive crew cab long bed diesels, abuse and cheat on their wives and can't manage money.:rolleyes: Tell whoever you share a brain with that it's your turn to use if for a while.

GravelyNut
12-27-2010, 10:42 PM
deisels pull more weight with ease = more $$$$
Gassers pull less weight and work harder=less $$

When I bought my 2001 with the 8.1 it was rated for the exact same loads as the Duramax for that year. Highway mileage of 12 mpg when running in the 16 to 17 K loaded range or empty. Max either were rated for that year was 21K.

pitrack
12-29-2010, 02:22 AM
Sounds like you got everything pretty well figured out. This post makes tons of sense. (No, I am not a fireman) Hmmmmmm......let me get this straight. 90% of fireman drive crew cab long bed diesels, abuse and cheat on their wives and can't manage money.:rolleyes: Tell whoever you share a brain with that it's your turn to use if for a while.

:laugh: I would have to agree with you

Springmeadows
12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
This site is full of stupid threads like this. Buy and drive what you want. Who cares of your opinion.

Ferdelance
12-30-2010, 12:41 PM
This site is full of stupid threads like this. Buy and drive what you want. Who cares of your opinion.

I couldn't agree more

ApolloLawnCareL.L.C
01-01-2011, 04:32 PM
I have a 99 power stroke and love it. Pulls harder, gets better MPGs when towing, runs the same every time (perfect) and will probably last just about forever. The negatives: a ten grand option on most trucks, up keep is really expensive ($120 to change my oil) and if it breaks down you better have deep pockets.

pitrack
01-01-2011, 09:35 PM
I have a 99 power stroke and love it. Pulls harder, gets better MPGs when towing, runs the same every time (perfect) and will probably last just about forever. The negatives: a ten grand option on most trucks, up keep is really expensive ($120 to change my oil) and if it breaks down you better have deep pockets.

$120 to change your oil? Where the hell do you get your oil changed? Hell I can have it changed for me and get out the door paying $70 with tax for Rotella's.

LB1234
01-01-2011, 09:52 PM
My GM gassers were getting 6.7 mpg towing the lawn trailer around town with some highway use. My new F350 diesel gets 9.5mpg towing that same trailer. The diesel engine was an additional $8300 option. I drive about 18k miles per year. So with those numbers after five years I will be placing approximately 90000 miles on the truck. I would consume 13435 gallons of gas and another 9475 gallons of diesel. I just filled up with diesel this week for $3.159 and noticed fuel was 2.999. So my total fuel cost utilizing these numbers would be $40,292 versus 29,932 for a difference of $10,360 over the life of MY vehicle. . My maintenance costs will be higher cost per interval but a lot less intervals (3k miles for gas, 5k miles for diesel)...or 30 oil changes at 60 per change versus or 18 oil changes at 200 per pop....so the total oil and filter maintenance is $1,800 for the gasser and $3600 for the diesel. In my case I believe the diesel versus gas maintenance and fuel economy is going to basically break even...maybe one has a slight advantage. But for my busines there is a lot more to factor in than this. A new gas engine will get me 3yr 36 powertrain whereas my diesel is 5yr, 100k...which for my business is key. I plan on trading the thing in before its fifth and final year while still under warranty (powetrain) BEFORE I have to worry about expensive repairs/maintenance ticket items on my diesel. Then if I factor in the resale and/or trade in value of a 5yr old gas truck versus a 5yr old diesel truck with 90k miles the diesel will be worth a few grand more hands down.

....but the bottom line is it depends on the owner and his uses for their vehicle. Not all diesel owners do it for the look, sound, whatever...some of us do it because it is the right business decision.

nepatsfan
01-01-2011, 10:03 PM
$120 to change your oil? Where the hell do you get your oil changed? Hell I can have it changed for me and get out the door paying $70 with tax for Rotella's.

including filters?...I wanna go where you go

ApolloLawnCareL.L.C
01-01-2011, 10:54 PM

I change my oil in my own garage I refuse to take it to any oil change place. I pay around $20 for a fram filter and about $100 for 4 gallons of Mobile 1 full synthetic turbo diesel oil. If Meijer is having a sale I can get the oil for around $80 but most the time its around $120 after its all said and done.