PDA

View Full Version : Deck Bench Lighting ideas needed..

jlouki01
11-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I have a customer who has a 25 year old system installed sometime in the 80's. How these have last I have no idea.. Under the seats they are bare bulb holders. No fixture.. nothing.

I am trying to replicate something that will give him a similar effect.

The bench is made with 2x4's turned on their side. He is very specific that he wants the lighting from under the benches.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
11-24-2010, 12:19 AM
There are all sorts of linear, under rail / step style fixtures on the market that would work well there. Vista, Unique, Nightscaping, CAST, Hadco, Integral all have similar versions. Don't go overboard, and use nice soft low wattage lamps. Evenly space your fixtures and it should come out pretty nice.

klkanders
11-24-2010, 12:33 AM
I have used the Unique Vanguard in a similar application. Remove the masonry plate and attach under bench(s) in a safe middle location so as not to come into contact with bare skin or legs. Run wire over to post(s), conceal and make connections under deck. It can look great
Good Luck!

Terradek
11-24-2010, 10:51 AM
Check out the new LED linear fixture from Kichler 15735 (6"), 15736 (12"), or the 15755 (18"). These are the latest offerings in this product category...great output, 15 year warranty, and the smallest fixture profile of any other product in this group. For Halogen fixtures check out the Masonliter from Nightscaping, the Vanguard 5 or 8 from Unique, the Line Light from Hadco (6", 12", 18", 24"), or the SD 500/501 from Encore. For a "soft" output look for fixtures with frosted lens.

Each of these products has it's own pros and cons so research them before you buy.

steveparrott
11-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Here's a similar job done by Paul Barcellos at the Chatam Bars Inn. He used some linear LED's - not sure what brand.

irrig8r
11-24-2010, 12:23 PM
I used the Vista product in a similar application, but one drawback was the use of blowers by maintenance folks and the fact that the fixture lens is a little loose with gaps around it, and debris and water can get inside (and stay there) when blown at it at 180 mph (or whatever cthe air speed is out of the end of a leaf blower close to the ground).

If you can find one with a sealed lens it might be a good idea, but on the other hand you said the originals used bare bulbs... probably SCBs?

jlouki01
11-24-2010, 12:31 PM
Steve,

thats perfect and the same type of bench construction almost.

jlouki01
11-24-2010, 12:43 PM
The original was a bulb holder and wire.. No fixture or mount what so ever. I have no idea how it lasted 20+ years!. Regular wire nuts, black tape.. Everything you need to start a fire.

steveparrott
11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Steve,

thats perfect and the same type of bench construction almost.

I'll PM you Paul's contact info in case you want to pick his brain.

jlouki01
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
Steve,

Thanks I had already looked him up and shot an email to him:)

waiting on a response as to exactly what the product was.

BrandonV
11-24-2010, 08:10 PM
feel free to share what you find, awesome look.

jlouki01
11-24-2010, 10:28 PM
As I check back to see the updates in the thread I see the Tonto in the back ground. The guy paid over 4k for that and it's been stolen twice. Tied to a 45ft spruce with a chain they cut the tree down and couldn't get it this last time. Guess a simple up light will do:) I wanted to down light him and make him look aggressive.. Apparently he was a nice guy.. Up light it is.

BrandonV
04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
can someone shoot me the name of that product I have this exact situation and want to give it a shot

Alan B
04-23-2011, 10:00 AM
B-
Another option is this...http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/LED-Deck-Lights-p/603.htm Solid cast brass, 25 lead wire, low profile surface mount, halogen or led retro bi bin, very reasonably priced/affordable, lifetime warranty and ships same day.

We developed this fixture specifically for these types of applications (surfaqce mount/low profile/under mounting). It could be an option for you especially if you like halogen. The frosted lens that comes with it gives a nice soft illumination as well.

http://www.landscapelightingworld.com/PhotoGallery.asp?ProductCode=603