PDA

View Full Version : Does your work look this good?

JayD
11-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Hey guys, just wanted to show off some outstanding work..

LOL.......NO, I did not do it! My customer did it them self.

They just put down some fabric right on top of the grass and piled some mulch on it and then put these rocks on it...:hammerhead::dizzy::nono::confused::laugh:

I'm like OK, now how close do I get to it with the mower seeing that they got like 3 or 4 inches of fabric sticking out? It looks like crap. Not to mention now I cant mow on the other side of it without driving the mower over it and messing it up because of it being so unstable.

Anyway, thought I would put this on here for some laughs....Oh yeah, and the gate opens in not out, looks like some one screwed up....and if your wondering.....maybe they are not done with it, well maybe, but its been like this for over three months...

JB1
11-23-2010, 10:39 PM
in their eyes it's a masterpiece.

TNGrassCutter
11-23-2010, 10:43 PM
hey thats my neighbor i helped them with that.lol jk. but why not at least put enough mulch to cover the middle of the pad, guess they ran out after their 2 50 lb bags

topsites
11-23-2010, 10:48 PM
One thing I learned over the years is don't criticize other people's work,
we don't know what happened nor do we know what their plans were,
for all we know they're either not finished or maybe they ran out of money?
Those little stones they used are NOT cheap!
If I'm not mistaken they run like $20 each and from the look of things they were trying to get enough
to fit them all in there snug from one end to the next so as to form a nice little sidewalk, but perhaps
a gross miss-calculation is what led up to this?

It makes sense, there exist at present ten of those stones, at $20 each that's $200 and they probably
thought that was enough... And maybe not but either way I don't see this as a laughing matter.

Because what I do know is that it is exactly this kind of behavior why some customers
like to think of us as lawn boys and lesser beings and like to talk down to us,
now these folks they are your customers so instead of trying to expose
them as fools I think you should be trying to help make it look good and right.

Good luck

mowZ06
11-23-2010, 10:55 PM
maybe its not finished or its like that for another reason ? who knows ???

randosh4
11-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Looks like real crappy grass to cut.

JayD
11-23-2010, 11:24 PM
If I'm not mistaken they run like $20 each and from the look of things they were trying to get enough
to fit them all in there snug from one end to the next so as to form a nice little sidewalk, but perhaps

It makes sense, there exist at present ten of those stones, at $20 each that's $200 and they probably
thought that was enough... And maybe not but either way I don't see this as a laughing matter.

Because what I do know is that it is exactly this kind of behavior why some customers

Good luck

Oh man.....I forgot to push the "anti respond button" for topsites...:laugh::laugh: Just kidding ya Tops...

Lehighlawnpros
11-23-2010, 11:24 PM
I think TS is right.
I think that you can help them to see the error in their ways.
By raising their monthly rate by 10% for the walkway,
and an additional 5% for that god-forsaken bush they planted out in the grass.
:laugh: just kidding TS!

Lbilawncare
11-23-2010, 11:28 PM
They probably did exactly as the guy at Home Depot told them. 1. Lay down your weed mat, 2. put the mulch down, 3. Lay your stone out in a path.

Bumpmaster
11-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Since I concider myself a landscaprer, That would be a dream if I ever could put some work together like what I have seen here.

JayD
11-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Since I concider myself a landscaprer, That would be a dream if I ever could put some work together like what I have seen here.

:laugh::laugh:I was wondering what a landscaper would think of this LOL.

Bumpmaster
11-23-2010, 11:46 PM
As long as the customer can afford a pair of siccors I think you will be A o.k.

LibertyFarmLandscaping
11-23-2010, 11:50 PM
Looks like lots of good stuff to cut out of the mowing deck, and off the trimmer head.

topsites
11-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Well, I'm no better than anyone else even if I try to come off like that somedays,
but I do think we should, as a group, try and better ourselves.

As for the kidding, I'm glad you guys took it easy on me lol

Sammy
11-24-2010, 12:20 AM
Looks like a perfect time to do some up selling.

JayD
11-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Well, I'm no better than anyone else even if I try to come off like that somedays,
but I do think we should, as a group, try and better ourselves.

As for the kidding, I'm glad you guys took it easy on me lol

Ahhh...We love ya Tops, we're just having some fun that's all. That's how I release all my stress, by getting on here...

rain man
11-24-2010, 12:41 AM
What comes to mind is when your young'un draws their first pictures. Oh man do they look rough lol but you oooohhh and aaaahhh over them like Mike Angelo drew them.

Yes, it will be a pain. I can see cause for aggrivation. But people do like trying their hand at this stuff.

My suggestion would be the "ugly baby" approach. When a new mother shows you her new baby who is the ugliest baby this side of the Mississippi, just tell her "he is as pretty as he can be".

MowinginEureka
11-24-2010, 01:08 AM
Yeah, pretty bad... Looks like the thin fabric you buy at Costco or Kmart...cheap junk. But, you can make the best of it, just take a small trenching shovel, 60 or so feet of bender board, some stakes and some exterior wood screws. Pick up stones, push bark off of fabric in shape of stepping stone, replace stone. Dig a 2-3 inch wide trench 3 inches under the edge of the fabric about 2 inches deep, push the fabric in the hole, lay down the bender board over the fabric, take a hammer and hammer in the stakes every 3 feet, drill exterior wood screws through the stakes to the bender board. Take leftover dirt and back fill on the outside edges of the board to fill in the gap between the board and grass. Compact with foot, top of sledge, or soil tamper. Cover dirt with a layer of grass seed and then cover with a thin layer of compost. Water 10 minutes a day twice a day. Then stand back and marvel at the quality of workmanship to make a piece of crap into something usable.

MowinginEureka
11-24-2010, 01:35 AM
BTW, here's some samples of my recent work.
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/goofycookiepics/th_176484463_photobucket_26010_.jpg (http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/goofycookiepics/?action=view&current=176484463_photobucket_26010_.jpg)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/goofycookiepics/th_176484463_photobucket_26005_.jpg (http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/goofycookiepics/?action=view&current=176484463_photobucket_26005_.jpg)
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/goofycookiepics/th_ZanderBark.jpg (http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/goofycookiepics/?action=view&current=ZanderBark.jpg)

Clark Griswold
11-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Looks like a perfect time to do some up selling.

Yea, just ask them if they want it put in correctly!

JayD
11-24-2010, 09:25 AM

:laugh::laugh::laugh:I would love to do that...

yardatwork
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
I see this all the time. People think that all they have to do is put the fab down and just mulch on top of it. they leave out on crucial element...AN EDGE! It's hard to mow around and it's hard to string trim around.

mark123
11-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey, what are you doing on one of my customer's lawns? :laugh:

One of mine did something similar. Laid out square blocks of fabric and poured mulch on it. Now there is a frayed end on all the fabric from mowing and whacking it. :laughing:

JayD
11-24-2010, 09:39 AM
Yeah, she is always planting a new tree somewhere and its always in a corner and plants it to close to where I cant get the mower around it therefore having to use trimmer to mow around it.

The other thing is, she keeps trying to make her yard look better by planting things but will not get lawn apps which they really need badly. The front has sod and needs help so badly, no apps, no water, just looks dead all year long.

Landscape Poet
11-24-2010, 01:00 PM
I am not so sure that I would be posting pictures of clients lawns and making fun of them on the internet, you never know who will stumble across this thread, the owner, a friend of the owners etc. How professional would that make your company look?
My suggestion would be to inform her/him that you could help make it look better and be more functional than what it currently is.

fl-landscapes
11-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Im going to be a dink here and say the lawn looks at least if not worse than the walkway. I think the turf is a bigger eye sore. Man that is in need of some serious renovation work. Better hope they dont take as critical look at your work as you have theirs:laugh:

JayD
11-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Im going to be a dink here and say the lawn looks at least if not worse than the walkway. I think the turf is a bigger eye sore. Man that is in need of some serious renovation work. Better hope they dont take as critical look at your work as you have theirs:laugh:

It is not my work, they wont take lawn apps or aeration's, heck not even water. All the dog poop from three dogs does not help either...It got so bad this year I finally got fed up with it and started charging them $7 for clean up of mower....they have paid it without a word.

kilgoja
11-24-2010, 03:55 PM
i hope they aren't finished with it yet

fl-landscapes
11-24-2010, 04:31 PM
It is not my work, they wont take lawn apps or aeration's, heck not even water. All the dog poop from three dogs does not help either...It got so bad this year I finally got fed up with it and started charging them $7 for clean up of mower....they have paid it without a word.

been there, cant turn shiet into shinola like my grandma use to say

ajslands
11-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Forget about the walk way! That yard looks like $h!t I'd hate to he the bisquit head that cuts that lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheGoat
11-24-2010, 05:53 PM
If they were my customers I'd plant those rocks for nothing just to make the job easier on me.

nothing but a few minutes with a shovel some sand and some seed. maybe an hour total.

help them understand why I get paid to do yards...

georgiagrass
11-26-2010, 08:44 PM
I would prepare a proposal to install the walkway correctly and ask to meet with the customer and present the plan.

JimLewis
11-30-2010, 06:15 AM
If I'm not mistaken they run like $20 each

No. They're only a little less than $10 ea. There are 10 of them there. So less than $100 worth of pavers there.

thought that was enough... And maybe not but either way I don't see this as a laughing matter. Because what I do know is that it is exactly this kind of behavior why some customers like to think of us as lawn boys and lesser beings and like to talk down to us, now these folks they are your customers so instead of trying to expose them as fools I think you should be trying to help make it look good and right.

Oh, get off your high horse. This is certainly a laughable situation. It's every bit as funny as if someone had gone to home depot and purchased 3 rattle cans of spray paint and tried to paint their black car red. It's pathetic. Now I wouldn't say that to the customer's face. I'm always much to polite for that. But there's certainly no harm in showing the photo to a few of your colleagues. It is pretty freakin' hilarious.

Those are Mega Arbel pavers by Belgard® (or maybe a knock-off of them) and when they are installed properly, they should look more like this;

http://www.lewislandscape.com/photos/gallery/albums/album102/Foltz11.jpg

zturncutter
11-30-2010, 07:25 AM
Jim, did you use polymeric sand between the pavers ?

JayD
11-30-2010, 08:15 AM
Wow Jim, that looks really good....

PerfectEarth
11-30-2010, 09:07 AM
I have not seen much worse. Are those customers complete stoners???

With that said, not sure I would post critical pics of a customer's yard- that would make me nervous someone might see it. Fat chance, but still.

I'm with JimLewis with regards to Topsites.....wow. It's funny- lighten up.

JimLewis
11-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Jim, did you use polymeric sand between the pavers ?

Yep. That's exactly what you see there.

zturncutter
11-30-2010, 12:26 PM
That is what I am using on a job I am finishing today. I buy it from Tremron, my local paver manufacturer, it's made by techniseal. I would not use anything else, it really stays put. :clapping:

JimLewis
11-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Yah, techniseal is the best, IMO. I've been through a few training classes with them. They really have put more R&D into their product than any of their competition. He showed us some samples of all the different brands and how they harden up and hold up in different situations. Trust me, you want to use Techniseal. Great stuff.

Buck_wheat
12-01-2010, 05:18 AM
JD;

Looks like another FL looser quit, went home and got a landscaping job job :)

Darryl G
12-01-2010, 09:04 AM
It's quite obvious that they were trying to hide the A/C unit. The crappy looking walk draws your eyes away from the A/C unit so that you don't notice it! They must have really long legs too...looks like quite a leap from one stone to the next.

This is the problem with Home Depot...they make homeowners think that they can do things that they really can't.

Patriot Services
12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Yea. HD, Lowes, Diy and HGTV make everybody think they are a skilled tradesman and any project can be completed in a weekend for cheap.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnlandscape
12-01-2010, 07:35 PM
lol, thats funny, I hope they did not see you taking the pictures. lol They will think your going to put it on your website claiming its your work .. lol

LB1234
12-01-2010, 08:56 PM
you should add it to your portfolio....

JayD
12-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Oh, that's way to funny guys....They maybe thinking that I was so impressed with it that I wanted to use it to sell some jobs.....

Darryl G
12-01-2010, 09:42 PM
How's this for a patio? I think the legs on he chair and table are uneven..they don't seem to sit right.

JayD
12-01-2010, 10:03 PM
How's this for a patio? I think the legs on he chair and table are uneven..they don't seem to sit right.

OMG.......That one beats mine hands down......:clapping::clapping:

Darryl G
12-01-2010, 10:14 PM
I thought this was temporary too. The date on my photo is 2004 and it still looks like this. Note the Belgian blocks in the background how nicely they're set too, lol. Funny thing is the lady set the table on the lawn behind the "patio" this last season.

JimLewis
12-01-2010, 11:28 PM
Wow! That's just awesome. Awesome in the sense that I don't think most people could make a worse patio if they tried. There's gotta be some kind of award for that!

Darryl G
12-01-2010, 11:52 PM
Maybe I'll offer to finish it for her. So I just sweep some polymeric sand and wet it, right? lol

JayD
12-02-2010, 12:07 AM
Wow! That's just awesome. Awesome in the sense that I don't think most people could make a worse patio if they tried. There's gotta be some kind of award for that!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Agape
12-02-2010, 02:01 AM

Good luck

What King builds a castle without first counting the cost??

Agape
12-02-2010, 02:06 AM
Yeah, pretty bad... Looks like the thin fabric you buy at Costco or Kmart...cheap junk. But, you can make the best of it, just take a small trenching shovel, 60 or so feet of bender board, some stakes and some exterior wood screws. Pick up stones, push bark off of fabric in shape of stepping stone, replace stone. Dig a 2-3 inch wide trench 3 inches under the edge of the fabric about 2 inches deep, push the fabric in the hole, lay down the bender board over the fabric, take a hammer and hammer in the stakes every 3 feet, drill exterior wood screws through the stakes to the bender board. Take leftover dirt and back fill on the outside edges of the board to fill in the gap between the board and grass. Compact with foot, top of sledge, or soil tamper. Cover dirt with a layer of grass seed and then cover with a thin layer of compost. Water 10 minutes a day twice a day. Then stand back and marvel at the quality of workmanship to make a piece of crap into something usable.

with any luck you can change it from crap;-in to crap with benderboard and miss-matched grass!

Agape
12-02-2010, 02:09 AM

You should say - :rolleyes:Would you like an estimate to help you complete your project?

Agape
12-02-2010, 02:17 AM

hey jim, do you have someone take pics or do you snap em off yourself? that path looks awsome!

JoeHop6299
12-02-2010, 03:17 AM
I like it! I love it when customers put extra stuff in the yard and I get to use the weedeater more!!!! I love to run weedeaters, it keeps the GUN-SHOW looking good.LOL

Agape
12-02-2010, 09:27 AM
I like it! I love it when customers put extra stuff in the yard and I get to use the weedeater more!!!! I love to run weedeaters, it keeps the GUN-SHOW looking good.LOL

I can get arrested for carrying these GUNS!!!:weightlifter: