PDA

View Full Version : company logo

lawnrx
11-24-2010, 09:37 AM
I have been in service for 6yrs now. I'm getting ready for next years advertisiments. my partner (wife) said that we need a company logo. All that I use is my Company name right now. Is a logo that important?? Does anyone know if this realy helps in advertising?? I dont know much about that stuff. I'm just trying to get to that next level.
My business is small (230 clients) but I hope to grow more next year. All i do is spray and i'm liscenced.

rcreech
11-24-2010, 11:41 AM
I have been in service for 6yrs now. I'm getting ready for next years advertisiments. my partner (wife) said that we need a company logo. All that I use is my Company name right now. Is a logo that important?? Does anyone know if this realy helps in advertising?? I dont know much about that stuff. I'm just trying to get to that next level.
My business is small (230 clients) but I hope to grow more next year. All i do is spray and i'm liscenced.

Logo is MEGA in my opinion!!!!

You want to come up with a good clean logo that people can remember and build BRAND recognition!

It is all about branding!

Lefet
11-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Logo is MEGA in my opinion!!!!

You want to come up with a good clean logo that people can remember and build BRAND recognition!

It is all about branding!

I'll see his comment and raise you 10!

fl-landscapes
11-24-2010, 06:42 PM
yup, like others have said, company branding is very important and a logo is just a start. Think of any successful business in any industry and I bet dollars to doughnuts they have a logo, usually one etched in your mind. Think mcdonalds or shell oil, valley crest.

lawnlandscape
11-24-2010, 06:49 PM
230 clients and no logo yet!?

As others have stated a logo is EXTREMELY important.

Once you get one, put get it out there anyway you can. Invoices, proposals, memos, envelopes, trucks, shirts, business cards & all advertising

sedge
11-24-2010, 08:23 PM
LOGO's don't mean jack. Your company does however. People aren't going to remember your LOGO when dialing the phone, so don't swet it.

That is why my company name is ###-LAWN.com and the ###-lawn is my number.

rcreech
11-24-2010, 09:28 PM
LOGO's don't mean jack. Your company does however. People aren't going to remember your LOGO when dialing the phone, so don't swet it.

I can't believe u just said that!
U r nuts if u really believe that!
Read any book on building a business and the co name and logo are at the top of the list
People will remember a Name not a phone number

I have a ###-LAWN phone number and website but no way wuld I go without a company logo
Posted via Mobile Device

GunnPropertyServices
11-24-2010, 09:59 PM
you do need a logo or word mark logo either way you go its very important to building your brand.

lawnlandscape
11-24-2010, 11:22 PM

Wow, your crazy. Have you ever once read or studied business marketing???

The first thing you will learn is to get a nice, clean, easy to read logo.

I am a BIG believer that if a person sees your logo 3 times, they will never forget it.

It hurts me to say this.... but I agree with Rodney :laugh: People will NOT remember your phone number. They will remember your company name, and an attractive logo will help them remember it so much easier!

sedge
11-24-2010, 11:57 PM
I can't believe u just said that!
U r nuts if u really believe that!
Read any book on building a business and the co name and logo are at the top of the list
People will remember a Name not a phone number

I have a ###-LAWN phone number and website but no way wuld I go without a company logo
Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you, you just said what i said. It is company name that is important and that is why my company name is my number. You kill both birds with one stone. LOGO doesn't mean jack for as little as we can push it.

you do need a logo or word mark logo either way you go its very important to building your brand.

Your brand is your company name, keep it short and sweet.

Wow, your crazy. Have you ever once read or studied business marketing???

The first thing you will learn is to get a nice, clean, easy to read logo.

I am a BIG believer that if a person sees your logo 3 times, they will never forget it.

It hurts me to say this.... but I agree with Rodney :laugh: People will NOT remember your phone number. They will remember your company name, and an attractive logo will help them remember it so much easier!

LOGO and name recognition are 2 very different things. You make the most beautiful logo in the world and it has nothing to do with your company name, now they might remember who you are when they see your logo, but they surely are not going to remember your company name based off of your logo, unless your logo is directly related to your name.

You want them to remember your name so when they want to call, they can look you up, unless you have a very easy to remember telephone number like mine. My company name is my number.

Name me some logo's that aren't name based, that when you see that logo, you remeber the name of the company.

rcreech
11-25-2010, 08:38 AM
Thank you, you just said what i said. It is company name that is important and that is why my company name is my number. You kill both birds with one stone. LOGO doesn't mean jack for as little as we can push it.

Your brand is your company name, keep it short and sweet.

LOGO and name recognition are 2 very different things. You make the most beautiful logo in the world and it has nothing to do with your company name, now they might remember who you are when they see your logo, but they surely are not going to remember your company name based off of your logo, unless your logo is directly related to your name.

You want them to remember your name so when they want to call, they can look you up, unless you have a very easy to remember telephone number like mine. My company name is my number.

Name me some logo's that aren't name based, that when you see that logo, you remeber the name of the company.

I see what you are saying!

But I think the LOGO usually has the name in it especially in our industry.

I guess I am thinking as a logo as dressing up your name maybe!

My logo is exactly my name...but it isn't just block letters.

Point taken...but I still think you need a nice logo!

Oh yeah....a good company logo without the name:

Chevy

:)

rcreech
11-25-2010, 08:39 AM

Don't worry...the more you are on here the more you will find that you agree with me!

:laugh:

rcreech
11-25-2010, 09:05 AM
Which do you think looks better and more professional?

LAWN PLUS
AFFORDABLE LAWN HEALTH

or

lawnlandscape
11-25-2010, 09:26 AM
Which do you think looks better and more professional?

LAWN PLUS
AFFORDABLE LAWN HEALTH

or

1) Every lawn care company I know, there logo is also part of their name, as Rod said.
2) Rods logo is a perfect example of a logo that if a person saw 3 times they would NEVER forget. The word plus in the plus sign was a brilliant idea because people will never forget it. If his logo was just text I am 99.9% sure his customer base would be smaller today. Maybe not a lot.. but I guarantee having a easy to read, easy to remember, professional logo has helped his business. Would you agree Rod?

lawnlandscape
11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
No Name Logos

lawnlandscape
11-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Need I say more?

rcreech
11-25-2010, 09:36 AM
1) Every lawn care company I know, there logo is also part of their name, as Rod said.
2) Rods logo is a perfect example of a logo that if a person saw 3 times they would NEVER forget. The word plus in the plus sign was a brilliant idea because people will never forget it. If his logo was just text I am 99.9% sure his customer base would be smaller today. Maybe not a lot.. but I guarantee having a easy to read, easy to remember, professional logo has helped his business. Would you agree Rod?

Thank you!

I think logo's on my trucks had grown my business greatly!

Totally agree that we need to TRAIN peoples eyes!

Great list of LOGOs!

Nike and Pepsi are BIG ONES!

Lefet
11-25-2010, 09:36 AM
A pictures worth a thousand words.... 'nuf said

rcreech
11-25-2010, 11:05 AM
A pictures worth a thousand words.... 'nuf said

Yep

Just one more for the fun of it!
I have thought of a bunch...but this is a good one!

Many times they don't ever have the name with the logo, but I didn't want to spend the time looking!

Now that is BRANDING!

rcreech
11-25-2010, 11:12 AM
A 3 year old can't read...but when the see the Arches up in the air they say screamingly....McDonalds!!!!!!!!!
:)

That is why a logo is important!:)

People going down the road at 55 mph may not READ the side of your truck or see your phone number but they will see your logo if it is big and clean!

I guess this is just an opinion...but I think most anyone would agree that a logo is critical to a business brand!

sedge
11-25-2010, 11:38 AM
I should have rephrased the no name logo, to say name me some small scale logos that don't have a name that you can remember. i dare say they are very far and few between. The ones you guyz listed are billion dollar corps and have the resources to keep it in front of your face every day and all day. Didnt' trugreen have a dalmatian for a while? They spent millions promoting that logo and now I never see it on their trucks around here.

I don't think 3 times and it sticks is true, at least it isn't for me.

Rods name/logo are fine, but the plus sign in the back ground has nothing to do with why they remember him imho. That symbol represents hundreds of different corps and to think that when they see it, they remeber him is a stretch. You take the plus sign out and still make the lettering nice and it changes little. On another note, advertising people will usually tell you NOT to include "affordable" in your name as it USUALLY (key word here) means cheap ie cheaply done. Rod's company is the size it is because he does quality work, plain and simple.

Short and sweet wins the remembrance.

Another HUGE plus is if your name is your website. With more and more people doing web based searches, easier for them to find you and remember you.

Why does 1-800-yellow cab, 1-800-lawncare etc sell so good, cause they don't have to remember a particular company name. They get both (company name and number) with a set up like that.

Now a nice logo isn't going to hurt, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't get all worried if you didn't have one or even spend a whole lot of time on it.

ted putnam
11-25-2010, 02:13 PM
I should have rephrased the no name logo, to say name me some small scale logos that don't have a name that you can remember. i dare say they are very far and few between. The ones you guyz listed are billion dollar corps and have the resources to keep it in front of your face every day and all day. Didnt' trugreen have a dalmatian for a while? They spent millions promoting that logo and now I never see it on their trucks around here.I don't think 3 times and it sticks is true, at least it isn't for me.

Rods name/logo are fine, but the plus sign in the back ground has nothing to do with why they remember him imho. That symbol represents hundreds of different corps and to think that when they see it, they remeber him is a stretch. You take the plus sign out and still make the lettering nice and it changes little. On another note, advertising people will usually tell you NOT to include "affordable" in your name as it USUALLY (key word here) means cheap ie cheaply done. Rod's company is the size it is because he does quality work, plain and simple.

Another HUGE plus is if your name is your website. With more and more people doing web based searches, easier for them to find you and remember you.

Why does 1-800-yellow cab, 1-800-lawncare etc sell so good, cause they don't have to remember a particular company name. They get both (company name and number) with a set up like that.

Now a nice logo isn't going to hurt, don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't get all worried if you didn't have one or even spend a whole lot of time on it.

Yea, the dalmation. "You can always spot a good lawn". Or in their case, they can always spot a good lawn ...with weed control!:laugh: I always thought that was kinda stupid. It's like saying, "You can always spot an AVERAGE lawn" JMO

windmillservices
11-25-2010, 03:26 PM
My Logo And I like it

rcreech
11-26-2010, 08:37 AM
I should have rephrased the no name logo, to say name me some small scale logos that don't have a name that you can remember. i dare say they are very far and few between. The ones you guyz listed are billion dollar corps and have the resources to keep it in front of your face every day and all day. Didnt' trugreen have a dalmatian for a while? They spent millions promoting that logo and now I never see it on their trucks around here.

I don't think 3 times and it sticks is true, at least it isn't for me.

Sedge,

It doesn't matter how big the company or their value...they are BRANDING their logo.

Doesn't matter if you are McDonalds or a lemonade stand...you need to Brand!

As far as your phone number...if you put in on everything and BRAND it...I would argue that is YOUR LOGO!

Your phone number can be your logo if you put in on everything!

As far as my name having "Affordable Lawn Health"...I have debated every time I get a truck lettered to take it off, but it describes what we do...which is HEALTH. I think it separates us from the "mowing guys" and it we have built around it so I just decided to keep it.

lawnlandscape
11-26-2010, 08:50 AM
The ones you guyz listed are billion dollar corps and have the resources to keep it in front of your face every day and all day.

I only listed the big companys because those are ones we will all know. There are countless small local companys that I could draw a picture of their logo right now, but you guys would not know what the heck I'm talking about. I'm sure everyone on these boards could draw pictures of some logos from smaller local companys.

Logo's matter. Plain and simple.

sedge
11-26-2010, 09:39 AM
Sedge,

It doesn't matter how big the company or their value...they are BRANDING their logo.

Doesn't matter if you are McDonalds or a lemonade stand...you need to Brand!

As far as your phone number...if you put in on everything and BRAND it...I would argue that is YOUR LOGO!

Your phone number can be your logo if you put in on everything!

As far as my name having "Affordable Lawn Health"...I have debated every time I get a truck lettered to take it off, but it describes what we do...which is HEALTH. I think it separates us from the "mowing guys" and it we have built around it so I just decided to keep it.

I call a logo a symbol, not a way of or the name itself. Now you can have a logo with your name in it, but a logo is more like the Chevy bow tie. Fords oval has the name ford in it.

Branding, heck yeah, that is what it is all about. Branding your name. Small time advertisers like us will get he calls through name recognition and remembrance, not a logo design.

I know what you mean on the "affordable" thing, I wasn't nailing you on it, I was just pointing out what is the general perception amongst add people.

I only listed the big companys because those are ones we will all know. There are countless small local companys that I could draw a picture of their logo right now, but you guys would not know what the heck I'm talking about. I'm sure everyone on these boards could draw pictures of some logos from smaller local companys.

Logo's matter. Plain and simple.

No, they don't, unless your name or number is your logo. You don't remember 90% of the logo's you see and you will remember a smaller company via name long before you will some logo.

rcreech
11-26-2010, 10:38 AM
I call a logo a symbol, not a way of or the name itself. Now you can have a logo with your name in it, but a logo is more like the Chevy bow tie. Fords oval has the name ford in it.

You need to look up the definition of "logo". Your definition and the dictionary (and what everyone is saying on here) is different.

A logo isn't just a symbol or shapes...it is a name that has been created to build awareness to the public.

If you dress your name up and add colors and design...that is your company logo.

I would dare to say that there are VERY FEW companies that have a logo WITHOUT their name.
I would also doubt that many companies go without using a logo.

Here is the definition of logo if anyone truely cares:

A logo is a graphic mark or emblem commonly used by commercial enterprises, organizations and even individuals to aid and promote instant public recognition. Logos are either purely graphic (symbols/icons) or are composed of the name of the organization (a logotype or wordmark). An example of an abstract mark is the blue octagon representing Chase Bank, while an example of a representational mark is the "everyman" icon of PBS. Examples of well-known logotypes (wordmarks) are the striped IBM design, Mobil written in blue with a red "o" and CocaCola written in flowing red script.

sedge
11-26-2010, 12:04 PM
You need to look up the definition of "logo". Your definition and the dictionary (and what everyone is saying on here) is different.

A logo isn't just a symbol or shapes...it is a name that has been created to build awareness to the public.

If you dress your name up and add colors and design...that is your company logo.

I would dare to say that there are VERY FEW companies that have a logo WITHOUT their name.
I would also doubt that many companies go without using a logo.

Here is the definition of logo if anyone truely cares:

A logo is a graphic mark or emblem commonly used by commercial enterprises, organizations and even individuals to aid and promote instant public recognition. Logos are either purely graphic (symbols/icons) or are composed of the name of the organization (a logotype or wordmark). An example of an abstract mark is the blue octagon representing Chase Bank, while an example of a representational mark is the "everyman" icon of PBS. Examples of well-known logotypes (wordmarks) are the striped IBM design, Mobil written in blue with a red "o" and CocaCola written in flowing red script.

No, your bolded portion sums it up. Most are either abstract type or symbols/icons, not the word type. But I get what your saying and I think you get what i am saying.

Ric
11-26-2010, 12:14 PM
RC

Yes you are correct with the Logo Definition, However I believe the real subject of this thread is NAME BRANDING and a Logo certainly helps.

Not to change the subject away from Logo I will give my personal experience with Phone Numbers. I had at one time the toll free number of 866 268 7911 it spelled out 8 NO ANTS 911. I thought it was an eye catcher and easily to remember. I also had a local number ending in 9273 or YARD. My cell phone number ends with 4 identical numbers as in 123 4444. The point here is while the Cell phone number was never advertised my customer would see it on Caller ID and always call on that number because it is easier to dial as well as remember. Try dialing the 8 NO ANTS 911 number and I believe you will see what I am talking about. The 123 4444 number is not only easy to remember but also much easier to dial.

rcreech
11-26-2010, 05:12 PM
No, your bolded portion sums it up. Most are either abstract type or symbols/icons, not the word type. But I get what your saying and I think you get what i am saying.

Thennnnnnnn you didn't read the definition.....

Logos are either purely graphic (symbols/icons) or are composed of the name of the organization

sedge
11-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Thennnnnnnn you didn't read the definition.....

Logos are either purely graphic (symbols/icons) or are composed of the name of the organization

A logo is a graphic mark or emblem commonly used by commercial enterprises

Yeah I read and like I said.

rcreech
11-26-2010, 06:12 PM

This is what you stated...and you said the bolded portion sums it up.

What you just stated in your last post wasn't in the bolded portion!

I am not on here to argue about what a logo is!

What are you trying to say?

Do you not agree with the Webster's Dictionary?

lawnlandscape
11-26-2010, 06:33 PM
*moves on to next thread* lol

sedge
11-26-2010, 07:13 PM
This is what you stated...and you said the bolded portion sums it up.

What you just stated in your last post wasn't in the bolded portion!

I am not on here to argue about what a logo is!

What are you trying to say?

Do you not agree with the Webster's Dictionary?

The part I said "like I said" was what is more commonly used.

*moves on to next thread* lol

Lol, lol. Rod is right, but so am I.