PDA

View Full Version : How Windy Is Too Windy For Leaves?

Darryl G
11-24-2010, 10:07 AM
I was just wondering when you guys decide it's too windy to do leaf cleanups. I'm still sitting here at 10:00 am trying to decide whether it's even worth going out today. Blowing 15 to 20 mph and gusting to 35 here at the moment. Now if I had a large job where I was blowing to the woods in the direction of the wind or just doing intermin "debulking" I'd go for it. But to try to do a detailed final cleanup on small properties, my experience that it's just too frustrating. I will sometimes go for it anyway and run the leaves over a bit with the mower to give them less surface area and control them better.

Maybe I'm just burned out and looking for an excuse to not work today, lol.

Guess I'll go do a bank run and an Ivy trimming job instead.

JB1
11-24-2010, 10:08 AM
we use the hat method.

4 seasons lawn&land
11-24-2010, 10:13 AM
if its blowing the right direction you finish twice as fast!

Darryl G
11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Yes, for a "blow to woods job" with the wind going in the right direction it can really speed things up. Unfortunately, I don't have any of those on my list at the moment.

punt66
11-24-2010, 10:31 AM
I finished yesterday. The wind is brutal here.

dtriv89
11-24-2010, 10:38 AM
The wind's never blowing in the right direction when you're doing leaves, I swear it changes direction to spite us. I won't do leaves if its too windy, too much of a headache and it takes twice as long to do the job half as well

Darryl G
11-24-2010, 10:46 AM
I've got a total of 7 properties left on my list. All but 1 are just touch-up/final mows. Maybe 2 days work. Maybe a few one timers after that. Then some small "spruce up" jobs after that....overgrown shrubs, low/overhanging limbs and such. Then I have to decide whether to mount my leaf loader and chase piles. Not my favorite thing to do.

hackitdown
11-24-2010, 10:57 AM
It is too windy today here also. I have the guys out marking driveways, and wrapping shrubs with deer netting. When they finish, they will stack my firewood. Not much money will be made today.

sven1277
11-24-2010, 01:38 PM
That is always a tough decision. We started a job yesterday and had pushed leaves to the curb, so we went back this morning to finish. I didn't want to suck up a wet pile after the rain coming Fri. We called it a day after that. I think the guys will appreciate a 2.5 day resbit. We have been working 7days a week for the last few. Still have about 60 left to do. Should be finished up the second week of Dec.

grassman177
11-24-2010, 01:45 PM
pia, always. but we have been lucky so far and the wind has been cooperating instead of hindering.

if you cant effectively use a blower to move leaves to where or whatever you are using to suck them up then it is too windy.

JayD
11-24-2010, 02:46 PM
The wind's never blowing in the right direction when you're doing leaves, I swear it changes direction to spite us. I won't do leaves if its too windy, too much of a headache and it takes twice as long to do the job half as well

Amen Brother......I feel the same way. Every time I get started with leaves here comes the wind out of nowhere and yes, it seems to come from all directions.....:wall

Darryl G
11-24-2010, 06:01 PM
The ivy trimming job was a good alternate job to do. New customer. They were very happy and gave me a 15% tip and said they'll be calling me in the spring. :)

Agape
11-25-2010, 01:02 PM
we use the hat method.

people on welfare are counting on me.....lmaorotf! can I use that?

MOW ED
11-25-2010, 04:56 PM
I always go out unless it is raining or snowing. If the wind is blowing bad I usually don't take the backpack off unless it is a favorable wind that helps me. I will then just collect with the Walker or mulch with the Z depending on the load. They all eventually have to be dealt with and a day out on the job is a billable day, sitting at home just wastes money. Get out there and work, you soon may be pushing snow and those extra leaves make for a pain in the tail in the spring. Later.

clydebusa
11-25-2010, 06:08 PM
I always go out unless it is raining or snowing. If the wind is blowing bad I usually don't take the backpack off unless it is a favorable wind that helps me. I will then just collect with the Walker or mulch with the Z depending on the load. They all eventually have to be dealt with and a day out on the job is a billable day, sitting at home just wastes money. Get out there and work, you soon may be pushing snow and those extra leaves make for a pain in the tail in the spring. Later.

I agree with this statement. We do the leaves everyday. Some are just more pain then others. I have found when you are out there you can drum up more business. Just got a new customer due to the previous LCO keep saying it was too windy. The wind has been blowing here like spring time for the last 2weeks.

lawnprosteveo
11-25-2010, 06:20 PM
It seems like we get one calm day for every 3 to 4 windy days this time of year. If I didnt work when it was windy, I would only work maybe 1 day a week.

I agree that a final cleanups are for calm days. For my regular visit customers, I just get them the best I can.

MowEd is right about the mowers. If its really windy its much easier to bag or mulch them with a mower. This is the main reason I want to get set up with a dump bed so that my trailer is freed up for mowers.

Darryl G
11-25-2010, 07:43 PM
I think it's a little different for a solo operator than it is for you guys with crews.

If I decide it's too windy, I'll find something else to do.

If you've got crews, it may not be so easy to switch gears and do something else and you sure don't want them sitting around the shop all day or to send them home when there's work to do.

STIHL GUY
11-26-2010, 09:00 AM
if its too windy i take the day off...its too frustrating working against heavy winds

Darryl G
11-26-2010, 09:11 AM
I try to not take days off, other than the weekends, even if I only bring in $200 for the day. Averaging in zeros into the income equation can have a pretty negative effect.