PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Move BIG Piles of Leaves

steveo95
11-24-2010, 03:02 PM
What's the easiest (least time consuming) way to move BIG piles of leaves after you blow them into the pile.....keep blowing, tarp, leaf plow....etc?

hackitdown
11-24-2010, 03:56 PM
I have tried a 9HP Little Wonder, rake/tarps, and a jrco leaf plow. The plow is the winner by far. However, the plow lasted only 2 seasons. I plan to buy another.

steveo95
11-24-2010, 04:04 PM
How much do the plows run and will they be effective on a belt walk behind?

sven1277
11-24-2010, 06:02 PM
If you want to move leaf piles, use a Jrco leaf plow. It is a staple in our leaf clean up arsenal. It costs around $400. It will work on a walk behind.

steveo95
11-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Thanks. I have tried tarps, blowers everything except the leaf plow. Definitely going on the list for next year.
I hate blowing half a pile then going back to get the other half. :dizzy:

Darryl G
11-24-2010, 06:28 PM
My Lazer with the bagger unit on it works decent as a leaf plow. Just drop the deck a bit drive into the pile and bulldoze. Some will tend to fall off to the side but it works surprisingly well. The JRCO tine rake isn't half bad either. Then there's the 10HP blower and tarps of course.

yardmanlee
11-24-2010, 07:06 PM
we use a leaf plow, trying to upload some pics from my phone we took today

MLAWCARE
11-25-2010, 12:01 AM
My Lazer with the bagger unit on it works decent as a leaf plow. Just drop the deck a bit drive into the pile and bulldoze. Some will tend to fall off to the side but it works surprisingly well. The JRCO tine rake isn't half bad either. Then there's the 10HP blower and tarps of course.

yeah and you dont have to go buy a leaf plow and you can just run your walkbehind into it and push alot

yardmanlee
11-25-2010, 08:24 AM
yeah and you dont have to go buy a leaf plow and you can just run your walkbehind into it and push alot

be careful getting the leaves around the engine/ exhaust they will catch on fire!

Darryl G
11-25-2010, 08:40 AM
be careful getting the leaves around the engine/ exhaust they will catch on fire!

Yup. It can happen. Leaves can also get into ....ummmmm...what's that called...that thingy that spins around where the recoil start is. The leaves get shredded up and can block the air flow around the engine. Not good. But they can get into the deck belt area and cause a friction fire too.

hackitdown
11-25-2010, 12:00 PM

Pushing the pile with the mower works. But the JRCO plow works way better.

It is ideal for many of my customers that want all their leaves piles in a spot in the woods. You can push huge piles into giant mounds for "composting".

I have never used a leaf loader after pushing with a JRCO plow. Does it compact the leaves too much so that they are harder to suck up with the leaf loader?

yardmanlee
11-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Pushing the pile with the mower works. But the JRCO plow works way better.

It is ideal for many of my customers that want all their leaves piles in a spot in the woods. You can push huge piles into giant mounds for "composting".

I have never used a leaf loader after pushing with a JRCO plow. Does it compact the leaves too much so that they are harder to suck up with the leaf loader?

I built my leaf plow about 5 yrs ago, larger than the jrco and much stronger, to answer your question about compacting the leaves, yes it does, what dosent look like a very big pile really is alot of leaves pushed in a pile, yesterday I pushed some up and one of my guys over 200lbs. was able to stand on top of it, lol

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
11-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Yep happened yesterday. One of my crews said the homeowner came out with a little fire extinguisher,he was like 90 yrs old! It was a classic they said!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

LB1234
11-25-2010, 12:36 PM
Leaf plow by far moves the most amount of leaves...heck one of the cities I work in where we place the leaves into the street combines a snow plow (yes, not a typo, a snow plow) and front end loader with a large hydraulic clamp (don't know what its called). once the loader is finished clamping the leaves the plow comes around and pushes the left overs down the block into a larger pile where the clamp is much more effective. pretty cool actually.

I'm not sure where some of you are getting your JRCO leaf plows for $400. I called my supplier and they quoted me about $825...and that didn't include the mount bar!! So I decided to build my own. I went out and purchased a chop saw for $200 bucks, about $200 in metal, spent another 50-75 on misc parts (nut, bolts, hardware cloth, etc.) and utilized a piece of my old western snow plow's rubber snow deflector along with a extra JRCO mount bar that came with something else I ordered and walla...along with my welder I had my own leaf plow. Its fairly big, but not very heavy and mounts to my 48" hydro WB. I also have a JRCO blower buggy that mounts to my 61" ZTR that we use for larger properties that goes quickier that walking...and a lot less tiring.

lawnprosteveo
11-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Once the pile gets too big to move quickly with a blower, we will stop and tarp that pile to the loader. I can see where a leaf plow would be nice.

MS_SURVEYOR
11-26-2010, 12:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYuEDsdejQw

http://hypro-diaphragm-pumps.com/JRCO-Leaf-Blade-Plow/M/B003QJ7MKS.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/jrcoleafplowwithcensupport-p-1573.html

STIHL GUY
11-26-2010, 09:59 AM
i either tarp or push them with my mower

Darryl G
11-26-2010, 10:19 AM
I just wanted to add one thing that I see people doing all the time with blowers. They blow the leaves into what becomes a wall of leaves and keep trying to move it from the back. Once you get to that point, it's time to do something else. Tarp them, plow them, blow a slot in the middle to act as an aisle to blow them through or move them from the front. Continuing to blow into a wall of leaves is not productive!

CTmower
11-26-2010, 11:03 AM
I just drop the deck on my 61" Turf Tiger all the way and it works great at pushing piles. Ill save the $450+ it would cost to buy the leaf plow and spend it on something else. I have a few yards where the piles get HUGE to say the least, so I just jump on my Scag and push it to the front of the yard.

nysuz
11-26-2010, 12:01 PM
concur about the wall of leaves, what a waste of good energy. Put a tarp ahead of you and blow to that tarp, pull with the mower when loaded., regroup and blow towards the tarp, never touch a rake, that's my favorite part, all engines.

yardmanlee
11-26-2010, 07:28 PM
small job we did today, wind was bad, we blew them into windrows and used the plow to push the majority of them to the truck