PDA

View Full Version : reseeding drought lawns....

eggy
08-23-2002, 08:46 AM
Needing to know the basic reccomendations for reseeding lawns that did not come back from a drought. The lawns that did not water only have one thing weeds and dead grass.We plan on using a slit seeder, any help is appreciated.

rodfather
08-23-2002, 04:20 PM
I aerate heavily, overseed immediately (like right then and there) and make sure it is properly watered for 7 to 10 days.

And I check on it every other day (especially to make sure it is being watered). If not, I'm in somebody's face right away.

dforbes
08-23-2002, 09:42 PM
if useing a slitseeder i would decrease the amount of seed distributed and run it over the lawn 2 or 3 times in differant directions. this seems to the seed distributed better. Instead of making rows of grass. We usually spread the seed with a spreader then run a vertislicer across the lawn in 2 to 3 directions. I prefer this method becuase you can see the seed before yu work it into the soil and put more down on the really bad areas. Aeration is great before you seed and vertislice if you can get the customer to water before. I would be very careful and make the customer sign a contract that you don't guarantee seeding since there refusal to water caused this situation to begin with. I doubt that they will water the seed job either. I know it sound rediculis but I have had customers pay good money for a seed job and not put a drop of water on it. Offer them a guarentee if they pay you to water. We get $25.00 per man hour from the time we leave a job till we get back just to move hoses. send one guy by to do this. You wouldn't think this would sell but we usually do somewhere close to $2000.00 a year at this between all our seed jobs. Guess people are just lazy
Dennis

MJ LANDSCAPING
08-29-2002, 08:25 AM
For those drought lawns you can use a slit seeder. It really depends on the lawn. This fall we have major lawn renovations from the drought. We will probably use a york rake to remove the dead grass and put down new topsoil then reseed. A slit seeder we be effective only if there is grass already there so they both blend in. It really depends on the statis of the lawn.

parkmaster
09-02-2002, 12:35 AM
just a thought but i would wait and see how much of the turf DID
survive this dought before reseeding, aeration will help recovery of the turf, prefer coring it will allow rain to go deeper in the soil.
i know mine was brown retuning to green nicely since we had rain here twice in week.
if spots didn't recover then i would do what dforbes said using half rate to apply the seed in all directions with slitseeder.

GarPA
09-02-2002, 07:04 AM
some advice please...I have one commercial property where they were parking cars and equip for years and its about 5000 sq ft... the area then blends into good turf...the ground under repair is hard as a rock, few weeds almost totally bare. Idont do much slit seeding, mostly do core aerating. the biz owner just wants some turf type fescue sewn in the bare area. Do I need to bring in soil or can I maybe get seed going by churning up the hard pan with an aerator then seeding and starter fertilizing?....thanks much

ant
09-02-2002, 07:10 AM
kitz..
you need to loosen that hard pan up....wht ever it takes...

if you can locate a AEROVATOR that will loosen it up big time in 1 pass most times...
anthony

Brickman
09-02-2002, 11:52 PM
All very good ideas here, especially running the slit seader more than 2 directions.

But FIRST I would correct the problem that made the grass die, whether it is mother nature or an installed sprinkler. Other wise your seeding job isn't going to work either.

And be certain to have them sign a waiver stating that if THEY do not water you are not responsible for the results.

strickdad
09-07-2002, 01:45 AM
i dont like the idea of slit seeding because the ground is hard as a rock ..(at least around here) i dont fill like the slit method will alow the root system to develop properly because the slit is so shallow. im with awm on this one. i would try to find a averator or a recipocating areator such as rocksolids "pluger" even the ryans and the blue birds (drum type) are gonna pull shallow plugs because of the hardness of the ground..