PDA

View Full Version : Ivy Arbor Trimming Job - Before & After Pics

Darryl G
11-24-2010, 06:49 PM
It was too windy to do leaf cleanups today so I did an ivy trimming job for a new customer instead. I looked at the job Sunday and they're going back to France Friday so they were in a bit of a rush to get it done. I told them I was pretty booked with cleanups but if for some reason I couldn't do leaves I'd try to sneak it in. Works better for me too as far as getting paid.

This is my 9th season and somehow I never ran across a job like this. They pretty much have an ivy border on both sides of their house growing on an arbor and lattice. I didn't take pics of the other side. Never having done this before it was a little bit of a learning experience but I pretty much just treated it as a hedge and sheared it. I mostly used my Shindaiwa extended trimmers but also used a battery powered Black and Decker unit (good for one handed use) and the multi-tool trimmer for my Shindaiwa power head. It's a good bit longer than the dedicated extended trimmer. The biggest challenge was doing the top interior portions of the arbor. I did part of that sitting up on the roof. The arbor is pretty old and I didn't trust it to hold my weight.

I did clean up a bit more after these pics but I was losing daylight so went ahead and snapped the final pic after I did the rough cleanup. My customer was very happy with the job and my quick response, so they even gave me a 15 percent tip :)

So did I do O.K. for a beginner at this?

P.S. - I did leave a bit more texture at first but they asked me to cut it closer, so I did. And that little bald spot on the top right of the arbor was on purpose to try to get it's shape back. The previous cut wasn't hard enough there so it had an unsightly buldge.

HPSInc
11-25-2010, 12:20 AM
that kinda stuff is tricky to get looking nice. I think you did a very good job

Darryl G
11-25-2010, 12:35 AM
Thanks. Yes it was kind of tricky. I thought it looked better a bit longer but they wanted it trimmed close so it would hold longer. They won't see it again until spring anyway.

By the way, that's the Little Giant Ultrastep 5 to 8 foot ladder in both pics. It's at 5 feet in the first to take the Christmas lights off and extended in the second one. I really like it!

bel-nor
11-26-2010, 09:07 AM
Good looking work. What tools did you use and how long for the event. Who sells that ladder and the price.

Darryl G
11-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Three hours total on the job. That includes taking down the Christmas lights that were weaved through the ivy in the arbor and trimming the ivy on trellis and lilacs on the other side as well. There's a trellis behind the arbor too that you can't see and ivy on a small shed (might be for their garbage cans or something).

I listed the tools above but for a more complete list:

Primary tool Shindaiwa extended hedge trimmer for most of it - don't know the model number

Shindaiwa multi-tool hedge trimmer for the top center of arbor and the lilacs (they have them trimmed like a hedge - kind of weird)

Black & Decker battery operated trimmer for some one handed ladder work and detail work (this doesn't give the best cut but it's handy and lives in my tool box - power inverter in truck to charge it).

Hand pruners.

4 pronged pitchfork-type rake for cleanup.

Steel spring rake for cleanup.

60 gallon barrel.

Extension ladder for getting on roof.

Little Giant Ultrastep - special order from Home Depot - about $250.

Echo ES-2400 shredder-vac for final cleanup (vac followed by blow). I vac'd up some unsightly leaves along the edge of the driveway as a courtesy while I was at it.

30 inch Shindaiwa hedge trimmer was there but never used it.

Darryl G
11-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Forgot to list the landscaper dust pan in my equipment....plastic grain shovel

exmark user
12-11-2010, 12:38 AM
looks good

bmoorefield
12-12-2010, 11:14 PM
Looks nice, I bet it was a pain to remove the old christmas lights. I had the same situation on a job myself. The shindy pole trimmer is a great selection, I have had one for 5 years and have had no problems (knock on wood). I would keep an eye on the ivy throughout the year to make sure it dosent grow into the house and cause damage.