PDA

View Full Version : Fert Prices!! (Sick!!)

lawnlandscape
11-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I have been purchasing from the same company since I have been in business... but WOW, prices are high right now. Much higher then I have paid in the spring. I was thinking about purchasing now (and still am) with all the talk about where the prices are going.

For the first year I am also going to shop around. Look at these prices I was quoted today! Are these outrageous even for right now as I think.. or is this really the current costs???

RABBITMAN11
11-24-2010, 08:01 PM
Better buy early.......
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
11-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Prices have gone through the roof and will continue to go up.
In just the last 3 months the Dim .10 has gone up $2 a bag

I also switched suppliers this year
Been with Lesco for 4 years and they got beat by $1 a unit on my 30-0-5
That was $2400 so it was a no brainer pretty much

Buy now and get the most bang for ur buck
Posted via Mobile Device

JB1
11-24-2010, 09:04 PM
Prices have gone through the roof and will continue to go up.
In just the last 3 months the Dim .10 has gone up $2 a bag

I also switched suppliers this year
Been with Lesco for 4 years and they got beat by $1 a unit on my 30-0-5
That was $2400 so it was a no brainer pretty much

Buy now and get the most bang for ur buck
Posted via Mobile Device

five dollar corn will do that, everybody wants a cut.

rcreech
11-24-2010, 09:34 PM
five dollar corn will do that, everybody wants a cut.

Yep
I thought i seen this coming several months ago. Just like 2008
I warned everyone of this about two months ago about these large increases
:)

Glad mine is all in the barn!
Posted via Mobile Device

RABBITMAN11
11-24-2010, 10:11 PM
Me too........
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnlandscape
11-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Yep
Glad mine is all in the barn!
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't have as much storage as you :cry:

Normally I get it in before each application and that fills my storage area up.

With the increases they are talking about this year, I think I'm going to park a bunch of my snow removal trucks outside this entire winter and get about 80% of what I will need for all of next year ordered early next week.

I am going to contact lesco to check their prices. Any other suppliers anyone likes to use in Wisconsin? I have been using Spring Valley.
http://springvalleyusa.com

rcreech
11-25-2010, 08:31 AM
I don't have as much storage as you :cry:

Normally I get it in before each application and that fills my storage area up.

With the increases they are talking about this year, I think I'm going to park a bunch of my snow removal trucks outside this entire winter and get about 80% of what I will need for all of next year ordered early next week.

I am going to contact lesco to check their prices. Any other suppliers anyone likes to use in Wisconsin? I have been using Spring Valley.
http://springvalleyusa.com

I always said...find someone with a barn and rent a corner or actually rent a larger storage unit.

You could also look at renting a 50 ft van body. There alone you could hold 22 ton and let it sit outside.

Dunno????

It sounds like some major increases have already taken place although I think there are several to come so I don't know what to tell ya.

You have to look at interest, rent, insurance and GUESS the market.

If you can...get a hold of Fdlawnman as I know he is up your way. He is a great guy and may be able to help you out!

You should be able to search for his name and PM him.

grassman177
11-25-2010, 09:24 AM
my supplier has all the materials they need for the whole year already, so prices are fixed and have been since a couple months ago. no reason to buy when i already get good pricing and dont have a choice if you will as there is NO reason to save by purchasing now, although we do pre order for rd 1 and 2 soon with terms.

mysupplier IS also THE blender so like i said, there price for 2011 fert was set in the middle of 2010.

rcreech
11-25-2010, 09:33 AM
my supplier has all the materials they need for the whole year already, so prices are fixed and have been since a couple months ago. no reason to buy when i already get good pricing and dont have a choice if you will as there is NO reason to save by purchasing now, although we do pre order for rd 1 and 2 soon with terms.

mysupplier IS also THE blender so like i said, there price for 2011 fert was set in the middle of 2010.

That is great!

All he did was buy ahead like us!

He probably seen the market getting ready to shift!

ant
11-25-2010, 01:28 PM
I have been purchasing from the same company since I have been in business... but WOW, prices are high right now. Much higher then I have paid in the spring. I was thinking about purchasing now (and still am) with all the talk about where the prices are going.

For the first year I am also going to shop around. Look at these prices I was quoted today! Are these outrageous even for right now as I think.. or is this really the current costs???

those prices dont look bad! i paid lot more back in the spring..

ted putnam
11-25-2010, 02:01 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not familiar with most of those blends because I don't use them but I did take note of the 46-0-0 UFLEXX. I paid $22.50/ bag back in the spring...

rcreech
11-25-2010, 02:13 PM
It just depends on where u live and how much u buy
Those prices are outrageous to me

No matter where u live though...fert is going up
Supply and demand and man made shortages r something none of us can hide from

I am so glad I live so close to the Ohio River
Our prices are great and very lil freight!
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
11-25-2010, 02:18 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, I have been informed that I will be getting better pricing this year:clapping: because mine will be coming out of Mississippi instead of Ohio. Shipping is the killer!

greendoctor
11-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Because of shipping costs, its been a long time since I have seen a bag of anything below $20. Even plain 46-0-0 is over $20 here. Granular blends with slow release are $25 and up. What a difference location makes.

lawnlandscape
11-25-2010, 04:40 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

These prices are outrageous to me as well! Free shipping is included with this companys rates though. But its still A LOT more then I paid in the spring.

grassman177
11-25-2010, 04:40 PM
yea, shipping with kill ya. we are lucky, our supplier(helena) has a plant jsut down the highway a bit south of us, we get fresh blends sometimes that are still warm to the touch.

those prices are however about in line with what we would pay which i consider good

lawnlandscape
11-25-2010, 04:42 PM

The current rates I was quoted are 20% higher then what I paid last spring.

rcreech
11-25-2010, 07:35 PM
The current rates I was quoted are 20% higher then what I paid last spring.

Those prices are 20-30% higher on the products I got and the SCU is lower
It is what it is though!
If idyls have been on my game and bought everything n July it wuld have even been a lot better
That is why it is almost impossible to talk about pricing on here

Everyone pays different prices on inputs
Posted via Mobile Device

rcreech
11-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Double post

MowinginEureka
11-25-2010, 09:10 PM
Err, those prices seem low to me. I buy from the local garden shop. Its Dr Earth organic lawn fertilizer 9-3-5. My price is 38.79 plus 9.25 % tax for a 40 lb bag after my 10% discount. Retail cost is 42.99 plus tax. And the app rates are 9 lbs per 1000 sq ft. A bag covers 4400 sq ft. I have almost 90,000 sq ft of yards to apply fertilizer to. I buy about 20 bags every 3 months. So, yearly I pay about 3390.40 a year for fertilizer. Is this on par with what I should be paying in North Coastal California? I saw something about shipping this stuff, where do you guys get your stuff?

ted putnam
11-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Err, those prices seem low to me. I buy from the local garden shop. Its Dr Earth organic lawn fertilizer 9-3-5. My price is 38.79 plus 9.25 % tax for a 40 lb bag after my 10% discount. Retail cost is 42.99 plus tax. And the app rates are 9 lbs per 1000 sq ft. A bag covers 4400 sq ft. I have almost 90,000 sq ft of yards to apply fertilizer to. I buy about 20 bags every 3 months. So, yearly I pay about 3390.40 a year for fertilizer. Is this on par with what I should be paying in North Coastal California? I saw something about shipping this stuff, where do you guys get your stuff?

Mowing Eureka, The discussion of your lawns and their sizes has come up before but not the amount you pay for fert or the total number of square feet you apply to. The amount you pay for fert is astronomical compared to what most of the rest of us pay. However, you are using organic fert and it is higher priced. You are applying 9lb/1000 at a cost of about $1/1b. Most of the rest of us are paying somewhere between $1 and $1.50/1000. We aren't using organic fert but we aren't having to charge the prices you obviously have to to stay in business. Just a for instance. I treat approx 6 million sq ft every 7 weeks. It would absolutely kill my business to pay the prices you pay for fert. My suggestion to you is to read some of the posts on here related to fertilizer(especially the fertilize rsection) look for names of certain types of fert you might be interested in using, go to websites of the manufacturers of these products and look for local distributors. Look for companies like Lesco, UAP, Agrium technologies, Helena Chemical. Another avenue you might take is to look through here and try to find other guys closer to your area. I've seen a couple here from Oregon. They could prbably help you find a source in your area with better pricing. Even if you preferred to stay organic or at least use a "bridge" product, Phasthound(Barry Dracott) with Techterra Organics could probably give you a better price on fert than what you are currently paying. I wish I could help you more than this but this should at least give you a start. Good Luck.

lawnrx
11-27-2010, 09:24 AM
I don't have the storage space or the money to buy all the fert for next year. If the price goes up I'll just have to raise my price to help cover it. Last year I didn't't raise my price and kept 98% of my client base. And the fert prices came down to where they where. With this economy It is hard to increase cost of anything with out the costumer questioning why. And being a service that they can really go with out they can just stop and save that money. We treat all year around here. The best time to go up in price here is in spring, when weeds are at their worse, and treatments are needed bad. and new clients are calling like crazy. I think I'll wait till spring and then see what the price is and make my choice then.

ted putnam
11-27-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't have the storage space or the money to buy all the fert for next year. If the price goes up I'll just have to raise my price to help cover it. Last year I didn't't raise my price and kept 98% of my client base. And the fert prices came down to where they where. With this economy It is hard to increase cost of anything with out the costumer questioning why. And being a service that they can really go with out they can just stop and save that money. We treat all year around here. The best time to go up in price here is in spring, when weeds are at their worse, and treatments are needed bad. and new clients are calling like crazy. I think I'll wait till spring and then see what the price is and make my choice then.

Pretty much the same situation here. I only use fert toward the tail end of R-1 anyway. There's no need before that. The bermuda is dormant.

starry night
11-27-2010, 11:41 AM
mowingineureka: have you looked very far for organic ferts? I can't imagine paying what you do for products. At a garden store with only a 10% discount from retail? Jeepers. If you can't buy the raw ingredients somewhere, and must buy the pre-mixed stuff, try Bradfield Organics website. They will have a list of suppliers and for sure will be cheaper than $40 a bag.

MowinginEureka
11-27-2010, 05:46 PM
I have looked around for about a 100 mile radius. I will try looking @ Bradfield Organics website. I could go to Redding, which is 140 or so miles....but its very very twisty roads, ice, mountains, snow, takes about 4 hours from where I live just to get there. Farther than that would be a 6 hour drive to San Francisco (300 miles) or 6 hours (300 miles) to Sacramento. I live in the middle of nowhere kinda, they call it living behind "the veil of the redwood curtain" here. Heres where I am, try zooming out, all those cities Fortuna, Weaverville, Crescent City, etc... are have populations of like 5-20k maximum and their prices are the same if not more than where I live ----->

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Rons+Gardening,+1751+Oakdale+Drive,+CA+95519&sll=40.884448,-123.991699&sspn=1.071471,2.469177&gl=us&ie=UTF8&hq=Rons+Gardening,&hnear=1751+Oakdale+Dr,+North+Coastal,+Humboldt,+California+95519&ll=39.96028,-123.134766&spn=8.266167,19.753418&z=6

starry night
11-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Wow, you really are out there. Must be God's Country though.

I see Medford OR somewhat close?

MowinginEureka
11-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah, Medford... thats still 4 hrs away, maybe more, especially in a truck. Mapquest estimates are always a little off, they figure if its 180 miles, and you go 60mph average it should take 3+ hours...Yeah, they aint seen the roads out here man. Its like 65 mph for 25% of the trip...then its 50 mph zones for another 25%, and the other 50% is all twisties. Yep, Gods Country. It is breathtaking sometimes. But all the dang hippies ruin it. Weed capital of the world, humboldt county, ugh. So bad out here is all marijuana, they made a movie named after us, Google Humboldt County and weed....