PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Do new lettered trucks pay off?

fivestarlandscapes
11-25-2010, 12:24 AM
Do newer, super clean and shiney trucks with all the bells and whistles and a complete logo and lettering job get you higher paying, better customers. Im keep seeing all these new ford super dutys with nice lettering driving around and I keep thinking, would I be better off with a really nice big dump truck instead of a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with no lettering. This was my first year in business and I opted for a new exmark navigator rather than a nice truck and a junk walkbehind. Have you guys noticed if when you got that newer nice big dump truck you got more business and higher paying customers? When you do estimates, have you noticed that people take you more seriously and tend to go for higher prices? I have the work, but I want better quality customers and am wondering if my equipment setup is slowing me down. I have a new 16' dual axle landscape trailer with my navigator and handhelds, but a crummy old 2001 dodge ram.

godzilla
11-25-2010, 08:57 AM
Lettering will always help. Clean is good too.

shovelracer
11-25-2010, 09:15 AM
There is a lot to it. To an extent having a nice well maintained truck will help. It will not draw in more high dollar jobs, but often you will be taken more seriously, given you a better chance of getting the job.

The reason is it may give the impression that you are more capable of supplying the equipment and manpower to make it happen. On the other hand if you show up in a 70K pickup and do not have the reputation to back it up it will probably hinder you.

On the other hand you often will find yourself losing out on the smaller jobs you are more likely to obtain with a less substantial impression.

The equipment should fit the job you are trying to do. I dont want to see my lawn guy pull up in a 70K truck to cut grass, but I do not want my septic guy to show up with a 1/2 ton with wood sides.

Keep in mind that brand new implies that you might be new and lack experience.

Agape
11-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Dont be a slave to payments, but if you give a bid for several hundred $$,you should look like you've done a few jobs like that. Get something with a straight body- with one color, take it to a mechanic before you buy it. Spend at least $200-300 on signs but keep it simple and readable and you'll have lots of money going into the winter, and an extra $1000 bucks (payment and full covg.ins)that you don't have to come up with during the winter when its slow and painful.
Big bitchen trucks are cool tho!

I'm into my dump truck for about $3000 and when the motor goes, i'll replace it with a new one for the cost of 2-3 payments on a new truck.

RGM
11-25-2010, 01:50 PM
I have magnetic signs for my trucks and have gotten some business from them

Agape
11-25-2010, 01:53 PM
Do newer, super clean and shiney trucks with all the bells and whistles and a complete logo and lettering job get you higher paying, better customers. Im keep seeing all these new ford super dutys with nice lettering driving around and I keep thinking, would I be better off with a really nice big dump truck instead of a 2001 dodge ram 1500 with no lettering. This was my first year in business and I opted for a new exmark navigator rather than a nice truck and a junk walkbehind. Have you guys noticed if when you got that newer nice big dump truck you got more business and higher paying customers? When you do estimates, have you noticed that people take you more seriously and tend to go for higher prices? I have the work, but I want better quality customers and am wondering if my equipment setup is slowing me down. I have a new 16' dual axle landscape trailer with my navigator and handhelds, but a crummy old 2001 dodge ram.

$800 in paint and it will look sharp! I got an 87 (due for paint itself) I'm saving to paint my trucks the same color-consider it b4 dedicating your life to payments, your new truck will be used loooong before you pay it off.:cool2:

Agape
11-25-2010, 01:57 PM
I have magnetic signs for my trucks and have gotten some business from them

Don't save money on signs!

djagusch
11-25-2010, 04:28 PM
A clean truck, nice logo/lettering, company shirts, clean equipment, and pro proposals all give a great first impression.

A 01 dodge is not a bad truck if it is clean and lettered. I run an 09 chev as a first truck and just got an 05 chev as a second truck/back up. Same color same logos and it looks sharp also.
Posted via Mobile Device