PDA

View Full Version : iPhone or Android?

JimLewis
11-25-2010, 01:07 AM
Before the moderators drop-kick this over to another forum, hear me out...this specifically relates to irrigation....

I think the iPhone vs. Android debate is kind of like the Rain Bird vs. Hunter debate. Don't you? I mean on one hand you have the iPhone which is basically like your "Hunter" product. Full of glitches, prone to failures and bad customer support. On the other hand you have android phones which are like your "Rain Bird" product - stable, consistently strong performance, better innovation and great service.

Am I wrong???

(hehe) :laugh:
(Likes to start fires....)

mitchgo
11-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Lol. Um. Sure!

I'm a droid fan, however I give props to the iphone software being only on one phone where as the droid software is on many kinds of phones.

What will the future hold!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USn7eufXps&feature=related

Wet_Boots
11-25-2010, 08:06 AM
some of us sprinkler geeks like brass impact heads....

koster_irrigation
11-25-2010, 08:24 AM
blackberry.

It does all i need. Send emails, texts and photos.

No need for all these apps, that i wont ever use.

Wet_Boots
11-25-2010, 08:58 AM
I was still using a dial phone, until the entire planet seemed to switch to voice mail.

44DCNF
11-25-2010, 09:00 AM
I'd go with the eye-phone (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHUpWuqNHY&feature=related).

CAPT Stream Rotar
11-25-2010, 09:23 AM
brandon will back me up..

iphone > jailbreak>yourwelcome

well he will prob not agree with the jailbreak...but..

get an iphone.

Kiril
11-25-2010, 09:25 AM
Both suck.

JimLewis
11-25-2010, 02:12 PM
blackberry.

It does all i need. Send emails, texts and photos.

No need for all these apps, that i wont ever use.

Ahh yes! I forgot about Blackberry. The "Irritrol" of the phone industry. Reliable, works well and does pretty much everything you need it to do but only the geeks use them.

JimLewis
11-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Is a grumpy old man ----\/

Both suck.

irrig8r
11-25-2010, 02:24 PM
As far as I know, none of those smart phones are"ruggedized". Overdue for a Verizon upgrade and considering the Casio Brigade. I have the Casio G'Zone Type S that's 2 or 3 years old, and it's been soaked a few times and dropped on concrete and asphalt a a few times with no issues.

Brigade has a flip open QWERTY keyboard for texting and a better camera than my current phone, but I haven't found a Verizon store in the area that has one to try before I buy. Anyone seen one in person?

JimLewis
11-25-2010, 02:36 PM
As far as I know, none of those smart phones are"ruggedized".

Au contraire mon frere! The Motorolla i1 by Sprint/Nextel is very rugged. With all our workers and crews I gotta have my Nextel PTT. And this is the only real smart phone Nextel offers. So far, I love it! I never thought I'd ever buy a smart phone. I never felt the need for any of the "apps" or much other than just having a phone and a calculator handy. Especially since I always have my laptop attached to me pretty much everywhere I go. But I've now seen the light. I'm addicted! I could never go back to a regular phone.

Highlights of Motorola i1 Rugged Android

* The First Rugged Touch Screen Android Device On The Market
* Embedded WiFi Capable To Quickly Browse The Internet Check Email and Download Apps
* Download Thousands Of Apps and Fun Widgets From The Android Market
* Military Spec 810F For Dust Shock Vibration Extreme Temperatures and Blowing Rain
* Nextel Direct Connect Service Includes Group Connect and International Direct Connect
* Integrated GPS Provides Support For Location-based Services Like Geo-tagging and TeleNav
* 5.0MP Camera With Video Captures Images You Can Email Or Send Via Multimedia Messaging
* Control Your Home's FrontPoint Security System From This Phone
* Bluetooth-capable For Safe Hands-Free Conversation While Driving

AztlanLC
11-25-2010, 03:39 PM
It all depends what you want to do with it, like having fun, looking cool, a gadget that runs smoothly with your computer, I phone.
A phone that has gps, flash, google apps, you can customize and a reliable network (at least in my area) Droid II (jail brake it, now you have wifi for your laptop anywhere)
I wont comment on blackberry since I have never owned one, but hear many people saying this is the phone you want if you do lot's of email.

SoCalLandscapeMgmt
11-25-2010, 05:05 PM
Nextel use to be a great company. Until Sprint bought them and F@#&%$ them up. I would not use a Sprint/Nextel product even if you paid me. I always thought that we couldn't live without the PTT until we **** canned Sprint/Nextel and realized that is was no big loss. We found that without the PTT we didn't get the million stupid calls/questions every day that we once did. It cost me $3K to break our Sprint/Nextel contract but it was the best money I ever spent. Their customer service was the absolute worst I have ever experienced. One hour wait times on hold only to be promptly hung up on, phones that were ordered, paid for and never shipped with no record of the order on their end.... even when I produced proof that we had paid for them. I could go on forever.....

We've been happy with AT&T... Their coverage is nowhere near as bad as Verizon would like you to believe (better than Nextel ever was). I have an iPhone 3Gs myself but would consider a Motorola Droid if it ever comes available on AT&T

JimLewis
11-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Well, I will agree that the customer service has gone down since the merger. No argument there. But I would disagree that it's the absolute worst. I would say it's gone down to the level of all the other carriers. I don't consider that any of them have anywhere close to excellent customer service at this point.

Regardless, I wouldn't want to do without PTT. Calling someone and leaving a voicemail and then waiting for them to call back is annoying and difficult. I like the fact that I can page any employee, wait a few minutes, and they just immediately answer the page. Then I can say quickly in 10 or 20 seconds what I needed and the conversation is over. It's something I can even do if I am in the middle of something else. Often it only takes 5 seconds and I'm back to talking with my customer or dealing with whatever I was in the middle of. Just no way to do that all with regular phone calls. There's a reason why Nextel still dominates the construction industry.

HokieAg07
11-25-2010, 10:27 PM
Verizon Droid here and love it. It has survived a year of serious abuse. Dropped all the time, blasted directly by sprinklers while on my hip, and used while hands covered in mud.

Couldnt be happier with it.

hoskm01
11-26-2010, 10:43 AM
HTC makes a solid phone. Love mine with Android.

Add an OtterBox (http://www.otterbox.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-otterbox_us-Site?cid=GOOTT10&gclid=CKSShq3pvqUCFQlubAodxw-XZg)for all your phone casing needs!

Best phone case ever. Colorado owned out of Fort Collins.

BrandonV
11-26-2010, 10:58 AM
brandon will back me up..

iphone > jailbreak>yourwelcome

well he will prob not agree with the jailbreak...but..

get an iphone.

you are backed up. I will be getting the new verizon iphone in the spring though. oh and as far as gps the iphone has gps that's not a droid exclusive, i have the tomtom app for mine, its the new hottness. Also a VERY cool feature w/ you have a mac too is the GPS photo tagging, you can see where you took a pic. iPhone 4 has a sick camera as well...

Mike Leary
11-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Where is that cool building, Bran?

BrandonV
11-26-2010, 12:23 PM
up in the mountains... Asheville, NC. Called the Grove Park Inn. Wife and I went up for a weekend, she did all this spa stuff and whatnot... I reminded her that i'm cheap. We did luck out though (i'm a history buff) and were assigned to the room F Scott Fitzgerald stayed in for 2 summers. He stayed they're and admired/ stalked all the great names of the time Like Henry Ford, the Firestones and Edison. Very pretty place, I however wanted to talk to management about the quality of their irrigation system and landscape lighting, it was to found lacking.

Mark B
11-26-2010, 12:29 PM
That is a nice area. I like it up there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Leary
11-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Our Verizon phones are coming up for renewal, I don't need the apps as much as you guys do (If I was still in the biz, I would love them!) Question: is there a phone that can plug into our Mac for internet access, rather than the expensive wireless card?

JimLewis
11-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Sure. There are many smart phones out there that are 3G and/or 4G Mobile Hotspots, in addition to being a phone. And you don't plug it into your mac. It just emits a WiFi signal and any computer can pick it up. You can password protect it, of course. But anyway, nothing to plug in. The 4G network is hot! If you're in one of the areas that does 4G you'll be very happy with that network. It's WAY faster than anything else [mobile] on the market.

Cummins343
11-26-2010, 01:52 PM
I had the droid for quite a while. Seemed to always freeze up on me. I traded it in for the LG Chocolate which is a nice 3G phone and with the droid I honestly felt like i was just paying the extra $30 for facebook on-the-go and fmylife.com LOL

BrandonV
11-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Our Verizon phones are coming up for renewal, I don't need the apps as much as you guys do (If I was still in the biz, I would love them!) Question: is there a phone that can plug into our Mac for internet access, rather than the expensive wireless card?

mike verizon has a product called a mifi. this "mobile hotspot" will let you share its internet connection to up to 5 devices using your devices 802.1x wifi card, would be nice if you ever have a 2nd laptop or an ipad. The major benefit of this over using your cell it you'll drain your cell's battery very quickly with all that data use.

JimLewis
11-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Yah, sprint has the same thing. Actually they came out with the first one of these. It's called the sprint Overdrive. It gets 4G where available and switches back to 3G if not. This is what I use in my truck and I have them for 3 of my account managers / estimators in our company too. Only way to go in my opinion.

I like them because you don't have this annoying card sticking up in the air on the side of your computer, like you do with a regular 3G USB card. I also like them because they can power several devices. For instance, my phone uses the WiFi signal from this overdrive while my laptop does too - when driving around town.

But you don't get around the battery issue by not having it in your phone. They still drain batteries like crazy. If my battery is fully charged, I'll get about 4 hours before it totally dies. So we just keep them plugged in inside our vehicles all the time. When staying in one place for a long time - like at home - the batteries can last several hours longer. But when you are constantly moving around and it's having to constantly re-acquire networks, it really drains fast.

http://images.intomobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/sprint-overdrive-sierra-wireless.jpg

hoskm01
11-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Jailbreak an Iphone or root an Android phone and wifi is on the house. Otherwise, at least on Sprint and Verizon, they are 30 bucks or so extra a month just to use the feature.

FIMCO-MEISTER
11-27-2010, 03:46 PM
Iphone deserves a special place in the cellular hall of fame for shaking up a moribund industry. Having said that my droidx kicks my former iphone's azz. Only headache is the battery eating display. Has to be charged daily but still worth it for the time it saves me off the computer. My former iphone is now an awesome ipod though.
Posted via Mobile Device

LouisianaLawnboy
11-27-2010, 09:52 PM
The apple iPhone is one of the best smartphones out there. The biggest upside is the number of apps. Android is a joke. There about 50 different models so hardly any apps. Also it's open source is nice in some ways but just a pain in others.
Posted via Mobile Device

hoskm01
11-27-2010, 11:13 PM
The apple iPhone is one of the best smartphones out there. The biggest upside is the number of apps. Android is a joke. There about 50 different models so hardly any apps. Also it's open source is nice in some ways but just a pain in others.
Posted via Mobile Device
50 different pieces of hardware. Software and apps are all the same. Sales outdid the uphone some time ago.

ARGOS
11-27-2010, 11:27 PM
I like how Peter used "moribund" in a sentence.

LouisianaLawnboy
11-27-2010, 11:55 PM
50 different pieces of hardware. Software and apps are all the same. Sales outdid the uphone some time ago.

Software and apps are not the same. Android has an open source while the iOS is closed. Also the app store has 3 times the apps that android has. Also 90% of them work on all the iPhone models unlike the android where it is basically impossible to have a unviersal app.
Posted via Mobile Device

DanaMac
12-15-2010, 06:05 PM
Looks like I may get the Droid Incredible tonight. My old phone is acting up and shuts off for no reason. Camera lens is scratched up too. The wife might do the same. Sale in store today, which ends tonight, will basically be free phones. The sale price is $100, and the rebate is $100. Catching up in the world, one bit at a time.

Edit: main reason for the Incr. over the X was the size and feel of it. The X just seemed too big, Incr. was the right size for me.

LouisianaLawnboy
12-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Looks like I may get the Droid Incredible tonight. My old phone is acting up and shuts off for no reason. Camera lens is scratched up too. The wife might do the same. Sale in store today, which ends tonight, will basically be free phones. The sale price is $100, and the rebate is $100. Catching up in the world, one bit at a time.

Edit: main reason for the Incr. over the X was the size and feel of it. The X just seemed too big, Incr. was the right size for me.

Hey I am here in Vail, CO. For 60.00 I will show you how to operate that phone :laugh:

DanaMac
12-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Now for your Iphone or Ipod - The TV Hat!!! TV Hat (https://www.buytvhatnow.com/flare/next?rtag=trytvhat&)

Holy. Friggin'. Crap.

DanaMac
12-15-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey I am here in Vail, CO. For 60.00 I will show you how to operate that phone :laugh:

For $60 I'll let you stay at my house for a night :)

Sweet!!!! How's the snow? Is it coming down right now? We are FINALLY supposed to get a little more tonight or in the morning along the front range.

LouisianaLawnboy
12-15-2010, 06:20 PM
For $60 I'll let you stay at my house for a night :)

Sweet!!!! How's the snow? Is it coming down right now? We are FINALLY supposed to get a little more tonight or in the morning along the front range.

I'm packing my bags now. :D

It has been snowing here all day, and a few hours ago started accumulating on the sidewalks and railings. Hopefully it will continue through tomorrow. I probably going to Beaver Creek tomorrow.

The snow is so different than what I am used too.

AztlanLC
12-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Software and apps are not the same. Android has an open source while the iOS is closed. Also the app store has 3 times the apps that android has. Also 90% of them work on all the iPhone models unlike the android where it is basically impossible to have a unviersal app.
Posted via Mobile Device
Apps made for iphone will not work on the droid and vice versa, iphone has 3 times the apps that droid true but just do a search for any app and they have 3-5 or more of the same type of app. the best apps for iphone are also available on the droid is not quantity is quality.
Android phones use google maps as gps you don't have to pay extra for that and also all the pictures you take will be tagged with the location.
Iphone knows android is taking the market that is the reason they will now offer the iphone for verizon we just have to wait and see at what cost, but as far as I know they don't have flash yet which is a big disappointment.
Iphone is a good solid phone and thanks to it we now have much better phones to choose from, but to say it's better than any phone out there or bash other phones when you haven't even use them is not right

DanaMac
12-15-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm packing my bags now. :D

It has been snowing here all day, and a few hours ago started accumulating on the sidewalks and railings. Hopefully it will continue through tomorrow. I probably going to Beaver Creek tomorrow.

The snow is so different than what I am used too.

Well have fun man. Colorado is a great place to live or play.
I've never been to the slops at Vail or Beaver Creek.

LouisianaLawnboy
12-15-2010, 06:32 PM
Apps made for iphone will not work on the droid and vice versa, iphone has 3 times the apps that droid true but just do a search for any app and they have 3-5 or more of the same type of app. the best apps for iphone are also available on the droid is not quantity is quality.
Android phones use google maps as gps you don't have to pay extra for that and also all the pictures you take will be tagged with the location.
Iphone knows android is taking the market that is the reason they will now offer the iphone for verizon we just have to wait and see at what cost, but as far as I know they don't have flash yet which is a big disappointment.
Iphone is a good solid phone and thanks to it we now have much better phones to choose from, but to say it's better than any phone out there or bash other phones when you haven't even use them is not right

I have used many smartphone and tested out even more. The truth of that matter is that android phones are way too diverse to create a universal app that works well on all the android phones. iPhone also tags where you take your photos too, just shows that your not that polished up on Apple. Yes the flash for the browser is a major drawback, but you get used to it and alot of sites are now embedded in HTML especially mobile sites.

On other hand, certain Android phones beat Apple with their hardware. And being closed OS can have its drawbacks.

The main reason Android is outselling the iPhone in the USA is because of ATT. In other countries where the iPhone is offered across different service providers the iPhone outsells the Android. The real test will come when Apple adds Verizon.

1idejim
12-15-2010, 06:40 PM
I have used many smartphone and tested out even more. The truth of that matter is that android phones are way too diverse to create a universal app that works well on all the android phones. iPhone also tags where you take your photos too, just shows that your not that polished up on Apple. Yes the flash for the browser is a major drawback, but you get used to it and alot of sites are now embedded in HTML especially mobile sites.

On other hand, certain Android phones beat Apple with their hardware. And being closed OS can have its drawbacks.

The main reason Android is outselling the iPhone in the USA is because of ATT. In other countries where the iPhone is offered across different service providers the iPhone outsells the Android. The real test will come when Apple adds Verizon.

i have issues with them, i'm too po'd to..........

i have nextel for 1 phone and 3 ptt

i'm supposed to be trying a different service my daughter has after the first.

jimshack
12-15-2010, 06:46 PM
I have an older android, LG ally. works fine for my uses. one thing that most folks don't pay attention to is the keyboard layout, check them all out and notice the setup. I got the ally because of the keyboard, no other android phone except one offered a number row on the keyboard and I didn't like the feel of that other phone. the ally won't run every app but it'll run every one that I have wanted thus far.