PDA

View Full Version : Over the years tips and help for a newbie

tntstinomite
11-26-2010, 12:44 AM
I want everyone to put in this post the small and big things that they have learned over the years that make all the difference. I am 19 and trying to turn a 20 account lawn business into an empire i am starting with a cub cadet rzt 50 a 6x12 trailer 2 stihl bp blowers 2 stihl trimmers and a 94 f250 idi turbo diesel. I am not registered yet and need all the guidance possible.

Darryl G
11-26-2010, 10:07 AM
If you're just starting out, the number one thing you can do is to be responsive to potential customers. I have found that just answering the phone and showing up for an estimate within a day or 2 is all it takes to get a job. So many landscapers never answer their phone, don't call back and don't show up in a reasonable amount of time. Most prospective customers make up a list of people to call and just want to find someone to do the work. Make them feel that they have in fact found someone. Then do what you say you're going to do, when you say you'll do it and for the price you say you'll do it for (in a workman-like manner of course) and you'll do well. And don't overbook yourself!!!!!

There's a ton of other stuff of course, but that's my 2 cents.

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
11-26-2010, 10:11 AM
Go to school at a local college and get a degree in Horticultural like I did. It will help you out tremendously in the field,make u more knowledgeable to customers which in return will get you better clients ,better jobs and just overall in life! Oh yeah. Take it slow ,save some money. Not like I did and take a bunch of small loans adding up to 1.125 million at 23 and spend the 8 years wondering why u did such a foolish thing!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

snomaha
11-28-2010, 01:28 PM
If you're just starting out, the number one thing you can do is to be responsive to potential customers. I have found that just answering the phone and showing up for an estimate within a day or 2 is all it takes to get a job. So many landscapers never answer their phone, don't call back and don't show up in a reasonable amount of time. Most prospective customers make up a list of people to call and just want to find someone to do the work. Make them feel that they have in fact found someone. Then do what you say you're going to do, when you say you'll do it and for the price you say you'll do it for (in a workman-like manner of course) and you'll do well. And don't overbook yourself!!!!!

There's a ton of other stuff of course, but that's my 2 cents.

Ditto....

Take the time to understand some basic financial info - profit loss statement and balance sheet would be a good start.

Cash flow is everything in small business and i would recommend developing a clear process on when and how you get paid from customers. I have seen profitable companies go out of business because they couldn't cash flow.

Good luck on the start of your empire!

gasracer
11-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Go to school at a local college and get a degree in Horticultural like I did. It will help you out tremendously in the field,make u more knowledgeable to customers which in return will get you better clients ,better jobs and just overall in life! Oh yeah. Take it slow ,save some money. Not like I did and take a bunch of small loans adding up to 1.125 million at 23 and spend the 8 years wondering why u did such a foolish thing!BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

1.125 million? I wouldn't call those "small" loans to add up to that much.

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
11-29-2010, 12:00 AM
1.125 million? I wouldn't call those "small" loans to add up to that much.

Haha. Yeah 23 pieces and a really big house. I was just trying to make the point of it wasnt just 1 big loan! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

Gmgbo
12-02-2010, 06:27 PM
no loans or credit, always answer your phone.

When I first started i would save $100+ a week to build savings for equipment and slow winters

Big C
12-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Be polite, get to know your customers but keep it business at the same time. I make it a point not to become "close friends" with any of my customers because this brings on the "can I get a hookup" mentality or the "it's ok if I pay you late" line every month.