PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing some LED's

Grass887
11-26-2010, 12:28 PM
I don't install lights commercially, not yet anyway, something I would definitely love to do someday.
But right now, im looking for lights for my christmas tree this year. I would like to switch to all LED for safety and energy savings purposes. My tree is usually about 12' high, and 8-10' at the base. Last year iirc I used 6 sets of 25 bulb multi c9's, and 6 sets of mini white lights.
I signed up with Holiday Light Source, I haven't decided yet if I want to go with the warm white, or pure white for the mini's. But im worried about the c9's. Every set ive seen (walmart, lowes) are very dim. Are there any commercial grade sets available that actually put off some light? Im not stuck on c9's either, c7's would work.
Looks like HLS only has rectified left in the c9 multi. Can someone suggest some bright c7/9's or any other suggestions that might save me money and last a while.

Thanks guys!

hotrod1965
11-26-2010, 05:04 PM
The smaller the LED lights you use, the better they look.. The C7 and C9 strands don't look that great. The retro fits look good, but thats a little bigger deal than what you want.

You might want to consider C6 and 5mm for your lights.

http://www.environmentalled.com/LED-Christmas-Lights-sc6/

http://www.environmentalled.com/LED-Christmas-Lights-s5mm/

britelights
12-01-2010, 12:41 AM
So what do you use on a house for LEDs? c6? Personally - I'm ready to throw LEDs far far away. I have 3 or 4 jobs where customers are upset because the LED doesn't look like they thought it would.

turf hokie
12-01-2010, 08:04 AM
I believe it is all in the quality of the LED you use,

we have gone to LED almost exclusively, except for the exising Incan material we still have.

Concave minis, T-5 minis, c-7, c-9 all colors

They are easier to use, save energy and most customers dont notice any difference, we are getting customers that wont use other installers and use us because we use LED's, LEd's are here to stay, no question, find a quality product and you will be happy.

my 2 cents

addictedtolandscaping
12-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Bryan how is LPG's LED any idea??

britelights
12-01-2010, 11:33 AM
When you say 'customers don't notice any difference' -- I beg to differ. I will say that's true for warm white LED concave minis -- I love those and so do customers. However -- for C9s and light links (HBL) --- whole different story. The warm white C9s have a greenish tint -- and the light links are pure white which you can't match to LED or incandescent minis. I have one job where customer went to warm white LED C9s --- 5 diode -- that's all we use -- and she hates them. I'll be switching her to incandescent in a couple days. Another customer that wanted multi-colored C9s --- we used the LED for energy efficiency -- she hates 'em. Says they look neon. We'll be switching her to incandescent as well. Another customer that switched from incandescent light links to pure white light links...hates 'em. UGH!!!! It has created a nightmare for us this year to say the least. If you buy LED 5-diode warm white C9s that actually look just like incandescent -- I'd love to know where you get 'em.

turf hokie
12-01-2010, 08:00 PM
When you say 'customers don't notice any difference' -- I beg to differ. I will say that's true for warm white LED concave minis -- I love those and so do customers. However -- for C9s and light links (HBL) --- whole different story. The warm white C9s have a greenish tint -- and the light links are pure white which you can't match to LED or incandescent minis. I have one job where customer went to warm white LED C9s --- 5 diode -- that's all we use -- and she hates them. I'll be switching her to incandescent in a couple days. Another customer that wanted multi-colored C9s --- we used the LED for energy efficiency -- she hates 'em. Says they look neon. We'll be switching her to incandescent as well. Another customer that switched from incandescent light links to pure white light links...hates 'em. UGH!!!! It has created a nightmare for us this year to say the least. If you buy LED 5-diode warm white C9s that actually look just like incandescent -- I'd love to know where you get 'em.

OK, I should have elaborated. You are correct in the assessment of customers knowing that there is a difference in colors.

soooo, here is my take,

HBL traditional white looks yellow when compared to incandescent. I was not thrilled about that look but as long as they are not next to inc they are fine.

Pure white, is well, designed to be pure white and not mimic inc. therefore I am good with that color and have had requests for it specifically. Problem is there is no C-9 to match the pure white, we used cool white and it definately has a blue tint next to the pure white, that is a problem that HBL will need to look into. Need to have c-9 in pure white.

As far as the multi in LED, yes it is a different look, not as soft as the ceramic bulbs, the colors are much more vibrant or true. It is something that most people will need adjusting to. I had a customer with ceramic that was VERY particular, she had ceramic for 4 years, we switched last year, she was ok with it, now she really loves it this year, especially after she was her electric bill.

Warm White 5 diode LED, ours match to incandescent to where most people dont notice, and that was what I meant, unfortunately for you, I get them from Christmas Decor......this is one of the things that seperates us from the competetion......

The pics are a bit blurry, just phone pics but the c-9 roof is led and the trees are incan. on the gazebo the c-9 is led and the blizzard flakes are incan.
FYI, the house with the trees, the customer did not want to switch to LED, we put them on the roof without her knowledge.....she still has not noticed, up for almost 2 weeks......

klkanders
12-01-2010, 08:02 PM
britelights,
I have used the 5 diode warm white C9's from John Deere. To my customers and I they look good. I wouldn't say they look like incandescent but close.

If I may......I have a customer that wants warm white Icicle style lights. Any suggestions from anyone? Thanks!