PDA

View Full Version : 40 Hours on the job training

grassman222
11-26-2010, 05:17 PM
Hi everyone, I own my own small lawn business and would like to add pesticide application, fertilizing , spraying ect. to the list of services i provide. I wanted to know if anyone would be willing to help me out and give me 40 hours on the job training and sign the papers from the DEP saying that i got the 40 hours. I am in the Atco/Waterford area of south Jersey so if there is anyone around that is willing to help me out send me a pm . Thanks

rcreech
11-26-2010, 06:16 PM
If you would like to fly to Dayton Ohio I would love to train you for 40 hours.

The training will cost $100/hour...so please bring a check...and work clothes!

:)

sweetjetskier
11-26-2010, 07:15 PM
Can anyone say huge liability?? :)

One CAN NOT learn, experience,observe,etc enough in 40 hours in my opinion.

I have been in turf and horticulture since 1991 and also have a degree in turf and horticulture since 1995.

I even learn new methods,products, research findings regularly,but I don't think in 40 hrs someone can be possibly ready to start applications in regards to their company.

My 2 cents
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
11-26-2010, 07:22 PM
i agree, but sounds like this is a requirement for him so it has to be done no matter what you may think of it, but i understand where you are coming from .
(i also have a degree in turf since about 2000, i started college in 1995 ahha)
good luck is all i can say.

Ric
11-26-2010, 08:26 PM

Under Florida Law Chapter 482, if I hire someone to work under my license. I must give them 40 hours of training before I issue them a Tech Card. I Must give them continuing education each year or I can be Finded. In order to sit for the Florida CPO test That individual must Work for a Commercial Certified Pest Control for 3 years. They must also show 45 jobs they received training on. However the Florida Test has been dumbed down from the days went Dr Sung wrote them. We now have a 30% or more passing rate.

The State Florida only requires 40 hours of training for new hires but has no rules as to WHAT that training is. IMHO I feel The Law is the first training a new tech should receive. Knowing and understand Pesticide Law will keep an honest tech out of Trouble. Second should be Safety. Learning the Pests and Diagnosing problem is a never ending learning process. Of Course once you Diagnose the pest problem you only need to follow standard Protocol to cure that problem.

Grandview
11-26-2010, 08:34 PM
Motivated people can be trained in less than 40 hours.

jasontimm
11-26-2010, 09:26 PM
You can learn a lot in 40 hours with a good experienced applicator, whats the alternative, ...0 training and learn on your own through mistakes, trial and error....40 hours seems better.

CHARLES CUE
11-26-2010, 10:05 PM
Hi everyone, I own my own small lawn business and would like to add pesticide application, fertilizing , spraying ect. to the list of services i provide. I wanted to know if anyone would be willing to help me out and give me 40 hours on the job training and sign the papers from the DEP saying that i got the 40 hours. I am in the Atco/Waterford area of south Jersey so if there is anyone around that is willing to help me out send me a pm . Thanks

Keep trying i know how you feel and what you need. Some thing will come up.

Might be hard to find some one in your area. Would you want to train you competitor to be.

It will work out at the end. Good luck

Charles Cue

grassman222
11-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Keep trying i know how you feel and what you need. Some thing will come up.

Might be hard to find some one in your area. Would you want to train you competitor to be.

It will work out at the end. Good luck

Charles Cue

I see were your coming from . I most likely wouldnt .Im just upset because all the Bull you have to go through to put fertilizer on a lawn, and 90% of the "lawn services" around here dont have a lisence except for the big businesses and the DEP enforces there laws ??? HA. Im just trying to do thing sthe right way and every corner i turn in NJ its either people how dont know anything about what they do and/or BIG money. I dont know sorry for talking on . I appreciate everyones input

phasthound
11-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I see were your coming from . I most likely wouldnt .Im just upset because all the Bull you have to go through to put fertilizer on a lawn, and 90% of the "lawn services" around here dont have a lisence except for the big businesses and the DEP enforces there laws ??? HA. Im just trying to do thing sthe right way and every corner i turn in NJ its either people how dont know anything about what they do and/or BIG money. I dont know sorry for talking on . I appreciate everyones input

In your first post you said you would like to add pesticide application, fertilizing , spraying ect, now you are saying just fertilizer, which is it?
There is a difference and if you don't understand that, that is why you need the training. At this point you do not need to be licensed to apply fertilizer in NJ, that will change very soon.

Lefet
11-27-2010, 10:42 AM

You must take the "Basic Pesticide Training for Core Certification" class available throught the NJPMA.
"Category 3A & 3B Training for DEP Exams, Required Training (in lieu of 40 hours on-th-job-training) for Taking the NJDEP 3A &3B Category Exams.
I'm not sure what county you're in but if you pm me I'll send you some contact information.

grassman222
11-27-2010, 02:29 PM
In your first post you said you would like to add pesticide application, fertilizing , spraying ect, now you are saying just fertilizer, which is it?
There is a difference and if you don't understand that, that is why you need the training. At this point you do not need to be licensed to apply fertilizer in NJ, that will change very soon.

I was told from the DEP that if i want to apply anything weither it be fertilizer or whatever that i need to be lisenced because i am commercially applying. I went to the basic training class already and i asked the teacher about fertilizer and thats what he said . I want to be able to spray the lawn, bushes,small trees. And be able to apply everything granuler as well.I want to be covered at all angles. Well as many as possible or that i need.

Ric
11-28-2010, 10:28 AM
You must take the "Basic Pesticide Training for Core Certification" class available throught the NJPMA.
"Category 3A & 3B Training for DEP Exams, Required Training (in lieu of 40 hours on-th-job-training) for Taking the NJDEP 3A &3B Category Exams.
I'm not sure what county you're in but if you pm me I'll send you some contact information.

Lefet

Your Post helps make my point in My post # 5 concerning the Law. I stated that first order of training should be the law even before safety. Grassman being a newbie didn't know or understand the law and therefore didn't realize he didn't need 40 hours field training in NJ to sit for the test. Hopefully he is on the right track now and can take a Seminar in place of working 40 for someone.

Expanding on my point about training, the last training IMHO should be the chemicals only after pest ID is learned. However new people to Fert & Squirt want to start with the chemicals with little or no concern for the ID or safety factor let alone the Legal aspect.

Now I am sure there are those who might feel safety might be the first order of training. IMHO learning the Law is being safe.

Lefet
11-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Good point Ric. I'm glad he's just interested enough to even find out what he's suppose to do and how to do it.
Lawnsite truly is priceless.

grassman222
11-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Good point Ric. I'm glad he's just interested enough to even find out what he's suppose to do and how to do it.
Lawnsite truly is priceless.

Im just trying to learn as much as possible. I would like to know what im talking about when someone asks me a question. I have heard stories of questions being asked to other lawn guys and they give the ole umm?.... . i dont want to be that guy if i can help it.

Lefet
11-28-2010, 10:56 AM
Good for you. My mother always said, "the only stupid question is the one that isn't asked"

Ric
11-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Im just trying to learn as much as possible. I would like to know what im talking about when someone asks me a question. I have heard stories of questions being asked to other lawn guys and they give the ole umm?.... . i dont want to be that guy if i can help it.

Grassman

As Small businessmen we must do what we have do to stay a float. Therefore it is important to learn as much Law as we can so we may know the LEGAL Loop Holes. Corporate America sure uses Legal Loop Holes so why shouldn't we????

phasthound
11-28-2010, 12:02 PM
I was told from the DEP that if i want to apply anything weither it be fertilizer or whatever that i need to be lisenced because i am commercially applying. I went to the basic training class already and i asked the teacher about fertilizer and thats what he said . I want to be able to spray the lawn, bushes,small trees. And be able to apply everything granuler as well.I want to be covered at all angles. Well as many as possible or that i need.

Someone is mis-comunicating. At this time if you are applying straight fertilizer nothing is required by the NJDEP. If you are applying fertilizer that contains any pesticides (herbicide, insecticide, fungicide, rodenticide, etc.), then you need to be licensed in NJ. In order to perform the services you mentioned, your business must be licensed and employ at least one licensed Commercial Certified Pesticide Applicator, who is certified in the appropriate categories. For the best info on this contact JOSEPH LABELLA 609-984-6901
joseph.labella@dep.state.nj.us

There is legislation that will be passed soon in NJ that will regulate turf fertilization and require a separate license to apply straight fertilizer. This will go into affect one year after the legislation is passed. Rutgers will provide training classes.

bug-guy
11-28-2010, 10:26 PM

Under Florida Law Chapter 482, if I hire someone to work under my license. I must give them 40 hours of training before I issue them a Tech Card. I Must give them continuing education each year or I can be Finded. In order to sit for the Florida CPO test That individual must Work for a Commercial Certified Pest Control for 3 years. They must also show 45 jobs they received training on. However the Florida Test has been dumbed down from the days went Dr Sung wrote them. We now have a 30% or more passing rate.

The State Florida only requires 40 hours of training for new hires but has no rules as to WHAT that training is. IMHO I feel The Law is the first training a new tech should receive. Knowing and understand Pesticide Law will keep an honest tech out of Trouble. Second should be Safety. Learning the Pests and Diagnosing problem is a never ending learning process. Of Course once you Diagnose the pest problem you only need to follow standard Protocol to cure that problem.

ric

i how long as it been 45 jobs???

Ric
11-28-2010, 10:36 PM
ric

i how long as it been 45 jobs???

Buy Guy

I am not sure how long, but I know last December's test required 45 jobs instead of the old number of 15. So it has been a year at least.

Mountain Peak
12-04-2010, 02:51 PM
Wow, only 40 hours of training. You have to have 4 months here in Colorado for pesticides...

grassman222
12-06-2010, 09:04 PM
I signed up for training classes today. Hopefully ill get through them.. just thought id let everyone know, not that anyone cares .:laugh:

Lefet
12-06-2010, 09:16 PM
I signed up for training classes today. Hopefully ill get through them.. just thought id let everyone know, not that anyone cares .:laugh:

You'd be surprised whose watching and I'll bet you do fine.

grassman222
12-06-2010, 09:22 PM
You'd be surprised whose watching and I'll bet you do fine.

Thanks . Thanks for the information and your input on this subject , very helpful .

TPS
02-19-2011, 07:50 PM
How did you make out with the classes? Where did you take them? How much did they cost you? Thanks.

Lefet
02-19-2011, 07:57 PM
How did you make out with the classes? Where did you take them? How much did they cost you? Thanks.

Good question!

We want updates! We want updates! WE WANT UPDATES!!!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

grassman222
02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
I am still going through the classes until April. I would have been finish by now but i took on a few additional classes . You can go to New Jerseys website and get most of the information and prices there.

grassman222
02-20-2011, 08:13 AM
The classes are mostly through the Rutgers Cooperative Extensions service . There is alot to soak up and learn my brain cant take much more :). If your going to go through it my best advise is to READ the manuals that you have to buy from the Extension service, As well as any book about plants and lawns you can find .About diseases,insects,and treatments and right down some of the questions you may have because the teachers want you to ask questions because if you don't ...... well you'll fined out if you go to the classes .:) The more knowledge you have the better . Let me know if this helps or confuses you more .

njhardcore1
02-23-2011, 04:51 AM
Hi I'm starting a new lawn maintenance business this year after working for someone else for the past ten years, I wont be offering any fertilizing or pesticide services to start with due to not being licensed, but it is something i certainly want to be able to add as a service as soon as possible. I am trying to figure out what i have to do to obtain proper permits/licensing.

From looking at http://www.pcpnj.org/ it seems as though you are required to take courses before you can be scheduled for an exam date? Guessing i cant just grab the books study on my free time and take the test?

The main reason i am posting this is reading thrum this thread it seems as tho this can be bypassed by having 40 hours training (Employment for??) from a licensed company? Didn't notice this anywhere on that website is this still the case?

i worked one season doing applications for a lawn care company here in nj about 10 years ago, spraying applications from a small tanker truck. They never had me take any tests or get any licenses while working for them but i am pretty sure they were doing everything legal and on the up and up as they are a fairly large business in there area. I guess if there licensed as a company individuals working for them don't have to be? Or didn't at the time?... The guy i currently have worked for over the past ten years also holds a license tho i don't personally apply anything he does it all himself..

Would having worked for either of theese companys allow me to just study the books and bypass the training courses?

If not could anyone tell me what the cost and length of the courses are, And where and how often they are offered?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Brodie
02-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Would having worked for either of theese companys allow me to just study the books and bypass the training courses?

If not could anyone tell me what the cost and length of the courses are, And where and how often they are offered?

I would not think that working for someone would get you out of doing the course it seems that there are some good laws in place that you would be informed of when doing the course. Books are a great learning tool but you still need some professional training from a training provider to tie everything together.

You would be wise to go and do the course in any case because there are always changes and new procedures and product and it always good to keep up to date and current with the industry.

Just my two cents.

grassman222
02-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Hi I'm starting a new lawn maintenance business this year after working for someone else for the past ten years, I wont be offering any fertilizing or pesticide services to start with due to not being licensed, but it is something i certainly want to be able to add as a service as soon as possible. I am trying to figure out what i have to do to obtain proper permits/licensing.

From looking at http://www.pcpnj.org/ it seems as though you are required to take courses before you can be scheduled for an exam date? Guessing i cant just grab the books study on my free time and take the test?

The main reason i am posting this is reading thrum this thread it seems as tho this can be bypassed by having 40 hours training (Employment for??) from a licensed company? Didn't notice this anywhere on that website is this still the case?

i worked one season doing applications for a lawn care company here in nj about 10 years ago, spraying applications from a small tanker truck. They never had me take any tests or get any licenses while working for them but i am pretty sure they were doing everything legal and on the up and up as they are a fairly large business in there area. I guess if there licensed as a company individuals working for them don't have to be? Or didn't at the time?... The guy i currently have worked for over the past ten years also holds a license tho i don't personally apply anything he does it all himself..

When you were working for the company you should have had to go take a course to become a pesticide operator . That would let you work under the businesses license and be legal. Owning your own business you have to license your business and you yourself have to be a licensed commercial applicator. As far as working for the other company 10 years ago i believe you have to take the courses do to you never being licensed before . Someone correct me if I'm wrong i'm not 100% on that because i myself have never been licensed. :)

njhardcore1
02-23-2011, 11:43 AM
Yeah did read the part about having to be become a pesticide operator on the website. Any chance that the law has changed since 10+ years ago?, Was curious about that myself when i read it, that company focus's in only two things, tree care, and lawn fertilization, so id be surprised if they had me doing it illegally at the time, tho maybe, who knows!

njhardcore1
02-23-2011, 12:37 PM
Came across this site now.. http://njpma.com/consumers/index.html

According to that it seems currently working for a company with a certified applicator, Or being able to verify working under a certified applicator for a year or more allows you to test without taking the courses. wich i guess answers my question gonna email them to make sure im understanding the website properly.

Might still consider taking the class for the hell of it, seems as tho its only about a 5 hour one day course from what i can see? Depends on the cost i guess if not ill just study up on the necessary literature.

Thanks for the help guys