PDA

View Full Version : Hand held sprayer problems sovled! Any more tips?

robert payer
08-23-2002, 10:07 PM
I was hoping that people might share ideas on hand held sprayers. Every time I turn around my sprayer needs repair. It will bubble up through the pump. Often the pump will lock up. Some times the line clogs. I know these are all regular maintenance problems but I am tired of the frequency. Most of the problems are from dust and debris that is created on this mowing crew with the blowers. I was thinking to store these sprayers on the trailer or in the truck in a sealed container such as a garbage can that has a lid when they are not in use. Does any one have any thoughts or tips that they have learned as far as hand helds go. Sprayer thoughts out side of these problems are welcome also.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-23-2002, 10:13 PM
Maybe a different sprayer.

I use Swismex and never had any problems like this.

robert payer
08-23-2002, 10:39 PM
Lawn God Father,

Can these bought online? I have been buying the $9.00 ones at Home Depot. They are one gallon sprayers. For $9 bucks they work great until debris gets into the pump. I am intrested to find out about this Swismex. It does not pay to be penny wise and pound foolish.

General sprayer tips any one?

LAWNGODFATHER
08-24-2002, 03:05 AM
www.northerntool.com

Look at the $80 one. I think they be the SP1

I have had and used mine hard over the last 5 years and they still go strong. Take a beating and keep on ticking (not timex).

Leather diapragm too I think.

BTW these are 4 gallon back packs.

Those $9 sprayers give you $4 worth of use. Thes will give you hunderds.

morturf
08-24-2002, 10:43 AM
If you want a smaller one that is not a backpack get a Solo from www.Forestry-suppliers.com The one I use is great, It is the 457 3 gal. model. They also have 2 and 1 gal. models. Good luck.
Mike

We do 4 U
08-24-2002, 08:53 PM
There is a Solo dist. close to me and I can get a remanufactured backpack sprayer for $50. Solo has always worked good for me.

mcambrose
08-30-2002, 10:19 PM
I have about 8-10 pump up sprayers (not backpack type) that I use. I have similar problems with some models because the area around the pump collects dirt and debris and the debris is drawn into the sprayer when it is pumped up. This can scratch the pump cylinder so it won't pump well, can cause debris to get caught in the rubber washer that acts as the backflow valve and prevent it from seating. This causes the sprayer not to build pressure and to leak. The debris can also be pumped into the spray wand and stop up the nozzle. The best thing to do is to get a plastic sack or a bucket to cover sprayers when not in use. If you keep the trash out of the area around the pump handle, you shouldn't have any more problems.

This does not apply to backpacks because they are made differently. If you have a backpack that stops up regularly try putting a screen over the mouth before adding chemicals or water or buy a spray wand that will allow you to add a screen before the nozzle.

robert payer
08-31-2002, 09:20 AM
Thank you for your many replies. Since these problems are clearly caused by debris, I have made round felt colars that slip around the pump rod. This shield helps to keep debris out of pump area.
I am also considering using an enclosed storage enviroment to keep sprayer when not in use.

I have atached a inline fuel filter to minimize nozzel blockage. One must use a screen filter and not paper filter. Paper filters are used often for fuels.

Rebuilding sprayers is easier than I had ever thought.

Thanks Guys!

Any new ideas, please continue this thread. There is alaways something new to learn.

1grnlwn
08-31-2002, 09:38 AM
Robert, sounds like a lot of work to avoid buying a backpack sprayer. They are a very good investment.

Mark

strickdad
09-06-2002, 02:37 AM
robert we used to have a couple of hand helds too, they never seemed to last and were always leaking, stopping up, etc. we decided to use echo ms-100 back packs instead and we have had the same 3 now for 2 years with no problems whatsoever..

robert payer
09-06-2002, 07:56 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I do also have a back pack sprayer. I do not use it that often. It is used when killing off a lawn, or when many gallons of product are needed. Yes they are much better as far as repairs. I like the hand helds because they put down a lot less product volume when spot treating lawn weeds. It seems that backpack sprayers put down product three times as fast. Often just needless extra herbicide wasted. Weeds just need to be wet and not soaked. Yes, indeed you are all right. I just have my ways. Fortunately, they are not set in stone. If I am looking at this wrong in your opinion I am open to your observations.
Thank You!
Rob

LAWNGODFATHER
09-06-2002, 07:58 PM
Robert, that lies in the operator.

Mix you rate lighter, and apply the same way. You adjust it for the back packs.

robert payer
09-06-2002, 08:35 PM
Lawn God Father,

I am following you. Can you expand with specifics?

One simple solution to lower volume with a back pack is to keep the pumping at a minimal.

I will check for your reply tonight.

Thanks

Bushman
09-07-2002, 01:23 AM
I preffer the swissmex backpack sprayers over solo, both will last forever but the swissmex has much tougher spray handle and wand constrution and the spray tip accepts standard agriculture spray tips like the 8004 available at most co-ops.
Northern Tools should have both available on their web site.
I preffer a low pressure coarse spray for delicate work like around and under shrubs.
The solo comes with a cone/swirl nozzle and two small fan nozzles. The cone tends to clogs up easily and creates a fine mist which can float and harm non-target plants. I have heard of folks using plastic soda bottles (bottom cut off & placed around the spray tip) as a spray shield. This way the least amount of product can be effectively used. If that is your objective.

P.S. I have never had any luck with the hand helds cheap ones / expensive ones they seem the same. I have used the little quart 2.00 hand sprayers for occasional chemicals like fusilade II with O.K. results.