PDA

View Full Version : Mycorrhizal fungi question

mark123
11-27-2010, 11:18 AM
I've been reading about soil life and mycorrhizal fungi and one thing isn't clear. Most of my lawns have been abused by chemical fertilizers, herbicides and pesticides so I'm sure most of the soil life is shot.

My question is if you have killed off mycorrhizal fungi and then begin to treat the soil properly, will it return on its own or will it require overseeding with mycorrhizal treated grass seed? Also, will aerating expose the roots in a way that will allow some sort of inoculation?

Kiril
11-27-2010, 11:26 AM
If you build it, "they" will come

mark123
11-27-2010, 11:42 AM
If you build it, "they" will come
Perfect. :D

I figured it would happen like that, it just wasn't specifically stated in anything I've read yet. I guess I should realize it had to originally come from somewhere so stopping the chemical kills should allow it to eventually come back.

Danke!

Kiril
11-27-2010, 11:57 AM
If you want to speed up the process, then you can inoculate your seed.

mark123
11-27-2010, 12:19 PM
If you want to speed up the process, then you can inoculate your seed. That's the plan. :) :drinkup:

Tim Wilson
11-28-2010, 08:36 PM
Also aeration holes/cores should enhance entry to established roots.

Tip: Go to an area with a wild stand of similar grass species to what you are growing (untreated by humans) which has gone dormant; dig up some roots down to the newest growth; dry out and chop up the new growth area dirt n' all. Store until use. There should be local/indigenous endomycorrhizal spores galore which you can use to inoculate.

[when plants/grass goes dormant mycorrhizal is triggered to sporulate]

PS. Be nice and put the sod chunks back in place.

Barefoot James
11-28-2010, 10:54 PM
[when plants/grass goes dormant mycorrhizal is triggered to sporulate]

Is sporulate even a word?? LOL Dr Parks?? from the USDA has done lots of studies on growing myco. He shows farmers how to do it - something about growing bahia grass in areas of the farm and lining the area with old burlap bags or what ever old nylon bags you got. Anyways when the bahia is killed from frost get all the dirt and roots from the bahia out store over winter and spread over the farm in spring. Of course you have to innoculate the bahia to start this process - look at mycorrhizae.com - talk to Dr Mike. we use lots of ultra fine from Dr Mike and Soil Secrets has pure spores no clay to suspend the spores in. If you work with either of these suppliers it is very affordable so the farmer thing is really... You should be able to innoculate an acre for under $25.

Tims way is sustainable for the hard core organic type, but my way takes out the variables so you (quickly) get what you need for turf grasses and clients.

Tim Wilson
11-29-2010, 11:32 AM
It is actually Dr David Douds. Sporulate = produce spores

The method described for farmers includes gathering local mycorrhizal species although you can purchase spores from a number of sources. Mycorrhizal spores are included in ICT products as well.

Barefoot James
11-29-2010, 08:25 PM
Awesome info (link) Tim. Thanks

amigatec
11-29-2010, 08:38 PM
I grow Giant Pumpkins every year, and I use Mycorrhizal fungi with them. All most all Pumpkins growers use it. I buy a bag every year and sprinkle it around the vines and in the planting hole. I also supplement it with Compost Tea.

phasthound
11-29-2010, 09:58 PM
I grow Giant Pumpkins every year, and I use Mycorrhizal fungi with them. All most all Pumpkins growers use it. I buy a bag every year and sprinkle it around the vines and in the planting hole. I also supplement it with Compost Tea.

If I'm not mistaken that was the long time secret of a record holding giant pumpkin grower in Alaska.

amigatec
11-29-2010, 10:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken that was the long time secret of a record holding giant pumpkin grower in Alaska.

I could be, but I think just about all the growers do it now.

ICT Bill
11-29-2010, 11:38 PM
I could be, but I think just about all the growers do it now.

I have a funny story about that, Barry and I were at a show in PA and as we got to speaking to the booth's around us there was a father and son in a booth, I don't remember what they were selling but the conversation was about how competitive the two were about growing HUGE pumpkins

As the son started understanding what was in our products he started asking some questions (always when Dad was not in the booth), at the end of the show as we were breaking down the son showed up, (I had carton of tea) I said use this in the soil and on the plant during the year and report back, he said "don't tell my father"

I never heard back from him so I can not tell "the rest of the story"

Barefoot James
11-29-2010, 11:47 PM
I never heard back from him so I can not tell "the rest of the story"
Add more myco to your tea - he will call - LOL