PDA

View Full Version : December Lawn Renovation?

Pistol
11-27-2010, 12:57 PM
I had a potential new customer call this week and ask for a quote for renovating their front yard - I wonder if they realize that it is almost december.

Lots of crab grass that has turned brown - irragation system that they don't use - pretty sparse grass, probably a mix of bermuda and TTTF.

Is there anything I can do now to start the renovation? I was reading about dormant seeding - probably do that in a couple weeks or wait until Feb.

Any help would be appreciated.

CHARLES CUE
11-27-2010, 08:05 PM
I had a potential new customer call this week and ask for a quote for renovating their front yard - I wonder if they realize that it is almost december.

Lots of crab grass that has turned brown - irragation system that they don't use - pretty sparse grass, probably a mix of bermuda and TTTF.

Is there anything I can do now to start the renovation? I was reading about dormant seeding - probably do that in a couple weeks or wait until Feb.

Any help would be appreciated.

What kind of grass are they wanting to plant. Warm season grass need it be warm to germinate. I don't think dorment seeding would work on bermuda.

If the grass is sparse then i take it that the soil is not very good. How about a soil test aerate and top dress?

Charles Cue

Pistol
11-28-2010, 08:46 PM
We're looking to seed with TTTF. Grass is sparse due to terrible summer and the fact that this homeowner has not done a thing to his yard in years. He is realistic that a renovation will not happen overnight.

RigglePLC
12-01-2010, 12:36 PM
You could seed with per rye or annual rye. And mix it with TTTF. Add starter. Pregerminate at 85 degrees if possible. Mainly the rye would come up--IF, that is--the high temps stayed over 50. I would insist on adding a dormant seeding or spring seeding when temps hit about 60 (soil temps of about 50). Walk away if cus doesn't want to do that.
Perhaps sod would suit this situation better. Instant results. Bill him for the sod. Then bill him for the labor to install. Whatever happens, blame the sod.

rockycrab
12-07-2010, 12:11 AM
In Oregon, if I have to reno a lawn after Sept 20 and before April 15 I got to use sod.
We will scalp, aerate, and top dress the old turf area. Then lay sod right over top of that. After correcting any grade issues. It works well. Just have to remember to use the appropriate fert at half the recommended rates twice as often.