PDA

View Full Version : some mods i did on my z spray.. post yours!

ant
11-27-2010, 04:43 PM
post yours!

ant
11-27-2010, 04:46 PM
more pics...........

ant
11-27-2010, 04:48 PM
more---------------

grassman177
11-27-2010, 04:50 PM
is taht a quick connect on that side hose reel gun? also, what did you coat your handles on that gun with? and is what part is that holder you have mounted on the hose reel to hold the gun?

thanks for your answers and nice mods to help further customize you machine

ant
11-27-2010, 04:55 PM
YEP got the quick connect from graingers. they are for pressure washers. coat the handles?

grassman177
11-27-2010, 06:18 PM
if you look at the pic of the wand for the reel, it is a different color, but maybe it is just dried herbicide./ i thought it looked like it has a clear coating on it or something. why do you have the quick connect? what do you put on there besides the factory nozzle gun? also, what is the item you have hold ing the gun to the reel?

ant
11-27-2010, 08:32 PM
i have a ''add a hose'' 75' in the truck works out well .

grassman177
11-27-2010, 11:56 PM
nice pic of what you used. i will look for some of those as that is something i want for the handles, they have a couple of times gotten loose and then damaged.

dont they offer something yet? i remember a topic with them on here once about this issue, but they had nothing, and everyone here urged to make it a standard feature.

i would like that!

ant
11-27-2010, 11:59 PM
I will snap a pic of them to show you what they look like close up when I got to the shop
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
11-28-2010, 11:43 AM
Anthony

You are an older member than me so you remember Larry Stone and pictures of The STONE-A-GREEN. The Stone-A-Green had two can sprayers on it, mounted in very similar fashion. They worked well for him and should work well for you. The Stone-A-Green could still cut grass when not being used as a Spread & Spray. Stone would spot spray weeds on the Fly while mowing.

BTW Stone is alive and well and living in the Poconos. Has not done athletic fields in years now. he does mostly Ponoco estates which pay him year round. We talk on the phone and E Mail multiply times each week.

ant
11-28-2010, 11:55 AM
Larry stone. I enjoyed his posts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
11-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Anthony

Those of us with Thick Skin always enjoyed his posts. But his cynical sense of humor is not for the faint of heart. He did keep things moving and made you want to hurry home to read his posts. He has mellowed with age and not as anti-authority as he once was. Stone and I are still good friends and he is my go to guy for advice of all kinds that I value.

DLCS
11-28-2010, 07:22 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Me too.

I don't do apps but I learned alot from him. He was one of the few that got me involved in lawnsite. I'll never forget the thread of one of Stone's competitors who wanted to offer health benefits to all his employees. I think it got deleted or moved.:laugh:

R&S Lawn Care
12-04-2010, 12:35 AM
OK, Finally installed hypro jet agitators. The water really rolls much better than stock set up. With both tanks in bypass it runs appx. 15psi. With one tank it runs about 35-40psi. Again I went with a 5gpm pump. Also switched to the 1/4 g/1000 so I can spray 5 acres with 1 fill up. Also added hand gun ext. on the reel w/ 45deg. and used same nozzle as on boom. I purchased a hypro boomless nozzle for fence rows but have yet to install it. So with the extra tank I can spray up to 7.5 acres per fill, Love it....

ant
12-04-2010, 08:34 AM
OK, Finally installed hypro jet agitators. The water really rolls much better than stock set up. With both tanks in bypass it runs appx. 15psi. With one tank it runs about 35-40psi. Again I went with a 5gpm pump. Also switched to the 1/4 g/1000 so I can spray 5 acres with 1 fill up. Also added hand gun ext. on the reel w/ 45deg. and used same nozzle as on boom. I purchased a hypro boomless nozzle for fence rows but have yet to install it. So with the extra tank I can spray up to 7.5 acres per fill, Love it....

posts pictures

grassman177
12-04-2010, 10:16 AM
oh yes, you must post pics dude!

R&S Lawn Care
12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
OK, I'm gonna try to post some pics, finished boomless nozzles Friday night. At 30psi each nozzle sprays about 13-14'.

grassman177
12-20-2010, 01:48 AM
so are those nozzles spraying out to the sides to further your pattern for very large areas? would that then make your pattern width a good 36ft?

rcreech
12-20-2010, 08:07 AM
If that is the case...the boom/pattern is right in front of your face and arms.

Traveling a 5+mph and a slight wind and you are covered!

Not sure I understand this set up and I am not a fan (no pun intended) of it at all.

Seems like you are going to be way too high.

Please explain what you are trying to accomplish by adding this?

fl-landscapes
12-20-2010, 09:23 AM
If that is the case...the boom/pattern is right in front of your face and arms.

Traveling a 5+mph and a slight wind and you are covered!

Not sure I understand this set up and I am not a fan (no pun intended) of it at all.

Seems like you are going to be way too high.

Please explain what you are trying to accomplish by adding this?

I think he said it was going to be used to spray fence lines. But I agree it is mounted high and would likely blow back at the operator.

R&S Lawn Care
12-20-2010, 10:54 AM
It make a very coarse spray. Also, it is recommended to be mounted at 48" and they are a little short of that. I tried them out Saturday and no blow back on me. Yes, they are for fence rows and for some steep ditches too steep to drive on. I will not use them when the boom is adequate. Its just another tool for me to save time. I considered mounting them under the side tanks much lower but still protected, but would not do as good of a job for me. I'll try to post a video of their operation.

grassman177
12-20-2010, 02:38 PM
i get it, nice adaptation!

rcreech
12-20-2010, 03:17 PM
It make a very coarse spray. Also, it is recommended to be mounted at 48" and they are a little short of that. I tried them out Saturday and no blow back on me. Yes, they are for fence rows and for some steep ditches too steep to drive on. I will not use them when the boom is adequate. Its just another tool for me to save time. I considered mounting them under the side tanks much lower but still protected, but would not do as good of a job for me. I'll try to post a video of their operation.

Good deal!

I was just curious as I have never seen anything like that before!

How wide/high does it spray?

ted putnam
12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
I have seen the boomless nozzles used around here by farmers in their hay fields. They were mounted with the tank being pulled by a tractor BEHIND the operator. Yes, the spray was coarse but from a distance fine particles could still be seen drifting and these things sprayed 6-8 ft off the ground. Just the right pressure setting might help reduce that some but I would still be concerned with them mounted that high and in FRONT of me. Because of the possibility of drift, places I would consider using it: Soccer/sportsfield(probably) Fencerows and steep inclines I could drive down the ridgeline and spray out one side (probably,depending on exact situation) Someone home lawn (NEVER) JMO from what I've seen in the past

R&S Lawn Care
12-20-2010, 07:46 PM
I made them adjustable up or down to change swath width. They spray straight out about 13-14' @ 30psi. I calibrated them to the same as my boom as far as output and speed .25 per 1000. They provided calculations for any adjustments in mounting height or angle adjustments.

CHARLES CUE
12-21-2010, 09:51 PM
I made them adjustable up or down to change swath width. They spray straight out about 13-14' @ 30psi. I calibrated them to the same as my boom as far as output and speed .25 per 1000. They provided calculations for any adjustments in mounting height or angle adjustments.

I like this its a niffty idea Good luck with it

Charles Cue

RigglePLC
10-06-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't get it. The hopper is for fert; the sprayer and nozzles are for herbicide.

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Blower holder works great. No need to go back to the truck to get blower. Pull to end of drive get off blow and go:waving:

ted putnam
10-07-2011, 12:12 AM
The Dairy you stole that crate from has a warrant out for your arrest for theft of property.:laugh:

a plus bob
10-07-2011, 08:16 AM
Blower holder works great. No need to go back to the truck to get blower. Pull to end of drive get off blow and go:waving:

How many Frisbees will that hold? Or you could carry a cooler so when a competitor waves because you run a Z you could offer him a beer.:laugh:

Volman
10-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I really like your setup but I'm kinda with the other guys about the finer particles comming back on operator. I was thinking about doing the same thing, just at a lower level or possibly behined operator. Looking to be able to spray steep inclines, etc that can't be accessed normaly. ********** Shout out to Zspray for building such a good machine. My employee call wednesday & said he had somehow fliped the Zspray 1 1/2 times on a hill. Of course I thought I might as well call Andy get a repair/replacement order started as soon as I ring my employeee's neck. But, apparently the sprayer came out with no damage. So, if anybody's got any pics of a roll cage I may need one of those in the future

R&S Lawn Care
10-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Something else to try is mount a spray wand clip to hold your hand sprayer with wand and boomless nozzle attached to end of wand.
Posted via Mobile Device

Efficiency
10-09-2011, 10:23 AM
I really like your setup but I'm kinda with the other guys about the finer particles comming back on operator. I was thinking about doing the same thing, just at a lower level or possibly behined operator. Looking to be able to spray steep inclines, etc that can't be accessed normaly. ********** Shout out to Zspray for building such a good machine. My employee call wednesday & said he had somehow fliped the Zspray 1 1/2 times on a hill. Of course I thought I might as well call Andy get a repair/replacement order started as soon as I ring my employeee's neck. But, apparently the sprayer came out with no damage. So, if anybody's got any pics of a roll cage I may need one of those in the future

Thats par for the course. Ours gets rolled a couple times a year. I think we have 3 this year.

Efficiency
10-09-2011, 10:25 AM

You may consider a back pack blower instead. On large sites and multi houses together, we ride the machine full speed to blow off while wearing the bp.

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-09-2011, 08:57 PM
You may consider a back pack blower instead. On large sites and multi houses together, we ride the machine full speed to blow off while wearing the bp.

Nope I can ride with one hand and blow with the other, I can also chew gum and walk at the same time. But the most important thing I can ride and wave at competitors at the same time that's for Larry.:laugh:

ted putnam
10-09-2011, 10:13 PM
Nope I can ride with one hand and blow with the other, I can also chew gum and walk at the same time. But the most important thing I can ride and wave at competitors at the same time that's for Larry.:laugh:

Umm...yea...but can you throw a frisbee while operating a Z?? :dizzy:

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-10-2011, 05:23 PM
Umm...yea...but can you throw a frisbee while operating a Z?? :dizzy:

Yes without a doubt, but when I'm not using the crate as blower holder. I use it to haul around a cooler and when i see a competitor we share a quick drink because you know there all swell guys:drinkup:

grassman177
10-10-2011, 07:49 PM
pretty funny guys, pretty funny.

i tell you what though, you need a skilled and very competant tech to operate a zspray in less than easy flat conditions. you can go many directions with that one cant you! ha

but when on hills and stuff, or tight areas, you want someone that is not going to hit the right button, or switch, and not hit one when not needed! you would be suprised!!!!

Larry, they like to keep it simple. easy going, where a steering handle makes sense and serves purpose.!

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-10-2011, 11:39 PM
pretty funny guys, pretty funny.

i tell you what though, you need a skilled and very competant tech to operate a zspray in less than easy flat conditions. you can go many directions with that one cant you! ha

but when on hills and stuff, or tight areas, you want someone that is not going to hit the right button, or switch, and not hit one when not needed! you would be suprised!!!!

Larry, they like to keep it simple. easy going, where a steering handle makes sense and serves purpose.!

Not really sure what your trying to say here:dizzy:

CHARLES CUE
10-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Not really sure what your trying to say here:dizzy:

I think if you read between the lines

Theres some thing there about it takes more skill to run a Z Than a TEE

And remember Larry came for a visit :laugh:

Charles Cue

americanlawn
10-12-2011, 08:20 PM
True "one-hand" ride-on spreader/sprayers really have not existed (for the most part). Been requesting them for years, yet technology wasn't available. But now there will be a unit that allows operators to free up enough hands/legs to safely apply products while merely using ONE HAND to maneuver the machine. I'm talkin' hills/slopes too. It's about time IMO.

Anybody who is able to drive to work can easily run this new unit IMO.
(even if they are hungover) :laugh:

Attend the GIE, and you'll find out what I'm talkin' about. It's truly "revolutionary", and learning curves have pretty much now been "thrown out the window". Upgrades for older models will also be available -- how cool is that!

Not saying who makes this unit, but it will be obvious for any one who attends the GIE.

my 2 cents :usflag:

How many Frisbees will that hold? Or you could carry a cooler so when a competitor waves because you run a Z you could offer him a beer.:laugh:

ant
10-12-2011, 09:12 PM
i need to come up with an electric sprayer and a tip mounted on one side boom and mount the tank in the back tray of my max so i can spot spray weed patches .. any ideas?

ted putnam
10-12-2011, 10:07 PM

Charles Cue

Charles, I'm not sure about it taking more skill, I've never operated a T. I do know that the Z has "cat-like" reflexes and can make slight changes with little effort. You definitely need to come to work with your head straight. BLC(Boozer Lawn Care) is no place for a Z without a doubt. Maybe LT Rich can offer an add on "breathalizer" that won't allow a machine to be started unless the operator is found sober. If they were to do this Larry might even purchase a Z for one of his guys to operate.:laugh: At least then he would be qualified to make some of the unfounded comments he makes.

I believe he did make a visit to grassman's location. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person and grassman seemed to think he was OK even though he wears the same "Hawaiian shirt" in every photo opp.:laugh: I'm thinking poor fashion sense is a side effect of multiple personality disorder...or maybe vice versa.

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-13-2011, 01:48 PM
Larry this is a Z-Spray thread, butt out:hammerhead:

RABBITMAN11
10-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Larry this is a Z-Spray thread, butt out:hammerhead:

Ha........

americanlawn
10-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Whatever >> You guys laugh it up. :laugh: I figured when "ant" started his thread, he was open to all ideas. (I figured if he was not, he would have said so).

I also read several cool posts (on this thread) which included "non-Z-spray units" such as the STONE-A-GREEN and pull-behind units.

Then folks mentioned "me personally" (on this thread). I know why, yet Z-Nazi's will never admit it. :laugh:

So after all that, I figured it was alright to post our newest info..... until the typical Z-Nazis decided to chime in and say "I should not post". go figure :hammerhead: What....... Am I some sort of a threat? Cuz I'm way up here & you're way down there (at least regarding the latest technology). Grassman and several other members run Z's, and they are good friends. Yet they are not Z-Nazis cuz they're open-minded..

Main reason I posted was cuz we actually demoed what we believe to be the best innovation (very new stuff not yet available to the general public) regarding ride-on applicators earlier this week. Kinda thought this is what lawnsite.com was all about. :confused:

Almost forgot, did I ever mention any manufacturer? :cool2:

CHARLES CUE
10-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Whatever >> You guys laugh it up. :laugh: I figured when "ant" started his thread, he was open to all ideas. (I figured if he was not, he would have said so).

I also read several cool posts (on this thread) which included "non-Z-spray units" such as the STONE-A-GREEN and pull-behind units.

Then folks mentioned "me personally" (on this thread). I know why, yet Z-Nazi's will never admit it. :laugh:

So after all that, I figured it was alright to post our newest info..... until the typical Z-Nazis decided to chime in and say "I should not post". go figure :hammerhead: What....... Am I some sort of a threat? Cuz I'm way up here & you're way down there (at least regarding the latest technology). Grassman and several other members run Z's, and they are good friends. Yet they are not Z-Nazis cuz they're open-minded..

Main reason I posted was cuz we actually demoed what we believe to be the best innovation (very new stuff not yet available to the general public) regarding ride-on applicators earlier this week. Kinda thought this is what lawnsite.com was all about. :confused:

Almost forgot, did I ever mention any manufacturer? :cool2:

Better watch using the N word larry look what happened to hank williams jr

So are you going to tell us about this new peace of equipment for the next year ?

Charles Cue

grassman177
10-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Charles Cue

that is correct, who knows why i used so many words for such a simple thought:laugh:

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-13-2011, 08:07 PM
Let us guess your on the no name manufactures A- team:laugh:

Service 1st Lawn Care
10-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Main reason I posted was cuz we actually demoed what we believe to be the best innovation (very new stuff not yet available to the general public) regarding ride-on applicators earlier this week. Kinda thought this is what lawnsite.com was all about.

Then maybe you should have started a new thread, under the the heading new ride on that no one but special me has seen and demoed. Cause I'm on the A-Team:dizzy:

ted putnam
10-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Then maybe you should have started a new thread, under the the heading new ride on that no one but special me has seen and demoed. Cause I'm on the A-Team:dizzy:

WOW...That's a long winded thread title, even for Larry:laugh:

americanlawn
10-13-2011, 09:18 PM
No prob. You guys are allright in my book, and all is fair game. Bottom line - if anybody attends the GIE, please check out how the 2012 T3000 finally has "the option" we have been requesting since 2007. At first they said it couldn't be done. Now they have done it. It's a FIVE STAR rating IMO, and older models can be upgraded with this new design. :usflag::canadaflag:

ted putnam
10-13-2011, 10:18 PM
QUOTE=americanlawn;4185865]No prob. You guys are allright in my book, and all is fair game. Bottom line - if anybody attends the GIE, please check out how the 2012 T3000 finally has "the option" we have been requesting since 2007. At first they said it couldn't be done. Now they have done it. It's a FIVE STAR rating IMO, and older models can be upgraded with this new design. :usflag::canadaflag:[/QUOTE]

Re-worded to be compared to the comment an 8 yr old boy might make along the same lines:

It's all right, I didn't want you in my club anyway. If anyone makes it down to the skateboard park you'll see the latest skateboard Wammo puts out. I just happen to have one of the older models. They have a new attachment that alows you to hang in the air an extra 30 secs. I can't tell you what it is because you aren't in my club...but if you have a skateboard like mine(which most of you don't) you'd be able to add the attachment and hang in the air an extra 30 too. It's the coolest thing you'll ever see.:usflag::canadaflag:

Efficiency
10-14-2011, 07:12 AM
why dont they call it the t4k if its that much improved? BTW, was there a t2k?

Falcon50EX
02-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Back to the Thread Any one have a Z with the 18-25 gal tank mounted up front and how do you like it.

turf hokie
02-03-2013, 05:45 PM
Back to the Thread Any one have a Z with the 18-25 gal tank mounted up front and how do you like it.

Yes. My max is set up with the extra 25 gallon tank. It's awesome.

Falcon50EX
02-03-2013, 05:49 PM
Yes. My max is set up with the extra 25 gallon tank. It's awesome.

Would u post some pic and how is the extra weight on the front
Posted via Mobile Device

kbrashears
02-04-2013, 12:39 AM
Man, I forgot about this thread. I seriously would love to take my ZMax head to head against a Turfco machine and see who gets more production in an hour. Day. Week. Month.

There is absolutely no way that rig could keep up. It may be fine for a caveman tech, but for a seasoned sprayer, the Z will put the T to shame.
Posted via Mobile Device

turf hokie
02-04-2013, 08:32 AM
Would u post some pic and how is the extra weight on the front
Posted via Mobile Device

Give me a couple of days. It's not on the machine right now and I don't have any pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

turf hokie
02-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Sorry, forgot to answer your question about weight.

There is no difference between the liquid and the granular. The granular hopper at full easily holds 150-200 lbs the liquid at full is roughly 200 ( I usually only run 20 gallons out of the 25 because my other 2 tanks are 20 gallons and it is easier to keep all three tanks mixed the same most of the time, so I would only have about 160 lbs at any given time)

rcreech
02-05-2013, 05:45 PM
Ahhhhh...the good ol days of fighting about who had the best machine.

LOL

Falcon50EX
02-10-2013, 09:38 PM
rcreech no its about what has others done that may make my job easier.

A 25gal Aux add on from LT Rich with a stand alone agitation pump. I am missing about 7 connectors to finish the job.

Falcon50EX
02-10-2013, 09:48 PM
more pictures to come once I get the fittings

CHARLES CUE
02-10-2013, 10:49 PM
Thats nice your going to spray for a long time

Are we going all liquid / Can you put the spreader back on in short order or is this perament

Good luck with your project keep up the good work

Charles Cue

Falcon50EX
02-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Thats nice your going to spray for a long time

Are we going all liquid / Can you put the spreader back on in short order or is this perament

Good luck with your project keep up the good work

Charles Cue

This is just for Pre-M. I am going to put some quick disconnects on all the lines so then all I will have is 6 bolts to remove the tank and reinstall the hopper.

kbrashears
02-10-2013, 11:28 PM
That's sweet. Also: I forgot what a clean Z looked like! Mine looks like big bird currently with all the pre.

Falcon50EX
02-10-2013, 11:51 PM
That's sweet. Also: I forgot what a clean Z looked like! Mine looks like big bird currently with all the pre.

Aluminum Brightener from NAPA. I have the number 2 machine made for 2011.

ArTurf
02-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Here is something I want to add to my Z. I have the extra 7 gal tank I use for gly. I currently have it hooked to a boomless nozzle on the center of the boom & also a wand on the hose reel. I would like to add a single nozzle on the end of the boom to spray the cracks in parking lots. I know the nozzle needs to be angled slightly forward. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

kbrashears
02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
Here is something I want to add to my Z. I have the extra 7 gal tank I use for gly. I currently have it hooked to a boomless nozzle on the center of the boom & also a wand on the hose reel. I would like to add a single nozzle on the end of the boom to spray the cracks in parking lots. I know the nozzle needs to be angled slightly forward. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?

I did this. But I put my nozzle at the end of my boom so I could get next to retaining walls and such. I just replaced my coil wand with some 3/8ths hose and a rigged up 1/4 nozzle.

ArTurf
02-20-2013, 08:48 PM
I did this. But I put my nozzle at the end of my boom so I could get next to retaining walls and such. I just replaced my coil wand with some 3/8ths hose and a rigged up 1/4 nozzle.

Can you post a pic.

americanlawn
02-20-2013, 09:03 PM
Ahhhhh...the good ol days of fighting about who had the best machine.

LOL

What?? You still sellin' that stuff? I heard they make good manure spreaders??

LOL, T-Man :laugh:

kbrashears
02-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Can you post a pic.

No. Because I have it set up for normal operation.

It's simple.

Some hose. A nozzle body. Some hose clamps and zip ties.

gregory
02-21-2013, 10:22 PM
can you run both pumps at the same time? I was going to add another pump just like that for that same reason but didnt do it or havent done it yet.. still might...

Falcon50EX
02-21-2013, 10:29 PM
can you run both pumps at the same time? I was going to add another pump just like that for that same reason but didnt do it or havent done it yet.. still might...

Yes you can run both at the same time. I just finished 12.7 acres today and i really like the setup. I start with the 25gal tank on mostly flat areas then lighten it up a bit and hit the hills.

ant
02-23-2013, 08:52 PM
i like to find the parts to make up a on demand spot sprayer that i can spot spray weeds as i spray my liquid fert. from the z.

Falcon50EX
02-24-2013, 11:29 AM
i like to find the parts to make up a on demand spot sprayer that i can spot spray weeds as i spray my liquid fert. from the z.

That is an easy mod but the tank is the problem. Why type of Z do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device

ant
02-24-2013, 11:46 AM
talk to me falcon! max and intermediate. i was thinking about seeing if a empty pesticide jug fits in the fert trays and us that as the tank. buy an 12 vol;t pump and use the foot switch to activate that pump.

smokin'weeds
02-24-2013, 02:03 PM
we had two units built for us this year with relocated foot switches to the inside of the left hydro control lever using the same switch the 2013 z plug uses. Should work great but we wont be spraying til april or so. Time will tell.

smokin'weeds
02-24-2013, 02:04 PM
talk to me falcon! max and intermediate. i was thinking about seeing if a empty pesticide jug fits in the fert trays and us that as the tank. buy an 12 vol;t pump and use the foot switch to activate that pump.

order and iso tank and it will do exactly what you want

ted putnam
02-24-2013, 02:16 PM
That is an easy mod but the tank is the problem. Why type of Z do you have?
Posted via Mobile Device

I stripped down an old Stihl SG20 backpack sprayer to just the tank and frame. I mounted a 2gpm pump from Tractor supply on to the frame. I added some fittings and some hose along with electric connection to the battery via conduit and I now have a 4 gal spot sprayer with jet agitation that sprays 1/4gal per minute. It fits perfectly into the Z-spray tray. I can easily remove it for storage or when not needed.

ted putnam
02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
we had two units built for us this year with relocated foot switches to the inside of the left hydro control lever using the same switch the 2013 z plug uses. Should work great but we wont be spraying til april or so. Time will tell.

I like that...we never use the foot button. great idea.

ant
02-24-2013, 04:32 PM
the foot switch in the hand control .. how did they mount it?

ted thank you .. i will look into that sthil sprayer tank.

Falcon50EX
02-25-2013, 12:07 PM
I like that...we never use the foot button. great idea.

Ted would you post some pics of your backpack Z spray tank
Really good idea
Posted via Mobile Device

ant
02-25-2013, 02:10 PM
order and iso tank and it will do exactly what you want

Not at$ 500+
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
02-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Ted would you post some pics of your backpack Z spray tank
Really good idea
Posted via Mobile Device

I got my degree in fabrication from the Hillbilly Institute of Technology. Be easy on me here.

ted putnam
02-25-2013, 09:51 PM
had 2 others that it keeps saying upload failed. I will retake pics and try again

ted putnam
02-25-2013, 10:15 PM
It finally allowed the other 2

ted putnam
02-25-2013, 10:19 PM
I know it shows it but I only spent about an hour constructing this once I had all the necessary parts...

Falcon50EX
02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
I know it shows it but I only spent about an hour constructing this once I had all the necessary parts...

Great idea thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

johnsonslawnmanagement
02-27-2013, 07:09 PM
I remember when we came up with this a while back Ted. I did the very same set up after we talked about it on here. I'll try to post some pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
02-27-2013, 08:53 PM
I remember when we came up with this a while back Ted. I did the very same set up after we talked about it on here. I'll try to post some pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cool. I'd love to see the pics. I only had one of those stihl backpacks. I loved the backpack...the short time that it actually worked. Once the first set of seals in the pump fried, it never worked right again. That took about 10 months. It works great for what its used for now. I only wish I had another one of those tanks...

ted putnam
04-09-2014, 11:46 PM
I brought this old thread up again because I wanted to stay on subject here and also I'm having a problem that I'm wondering if anyone has done anything about themselves.

We are using the Z's to spray our pre's on all of our larger lawns this year. We have never done this before though we have done some spraying with them all along. We are filling them multiple times per day. We've really noticed that when full or very close to it and we go over rough areas and the liquid sloshes that it sucks the lid ventilation mechanism down but before it can close on the upslosh(for lack of a better term) the tank will spit a tablespoon or so a foot or 2 into the air spraying mix on us while driving it's aggravating and not really safe. My question is:

Has anyone out there altered their lids or added a different one way valve for ventilation or done anything to correct this problem? We've cleaned the spring loaded factory setup even lubricated the spring but it still does this... It's starting to piss us off.

Falcon50EX
04-10-2014, 06:55 AM
Ted, I have seen this a little but not to the extent you have. My problem is the tank lid leaks around the threads. I believe GC has a vent that could get added to the lid.
Dultmeir has them( Polypropylene Vacuum Vent )Page 272 or the Blue Storage Tank section.

Falcon50EX
04-10-2014, 07:15 AM
It finally allowed the other 2

Just looking back on this thread ?? Ted Whats the knife for on your Z. :laugh:

Raymond S.
04-10-2014, 08:15 AM
Zombies...
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
04-10-2014, 09:02 AM
Thanks Falcon, I'll look into those vents.

We use those knives to keep "Bitchy" customers in line. Nothing like the threat of physical harm to change a persons attitude.

Actually, those are A.M. Leonard soil knives. We use them to quickly dig scattered Dallisgrass clumps in lawns as we are going over them. They have been very handy.

While it could work on Zombies I suppose, I don't really want to get that close to a zombie. For that, I would prefer the weapons I've seen on the "slingshot channel" on youtube. Joerg is pretty awesome.

Y'all have a great day. We're busy,busy,busy.

ted putnam
04-10-2014, 07:58 PM

We use those knives to keep "Bitchy" customers in line. Nothing like the threat of physical harm to change a persons attitude.

Actually, those are A.M. Leonard soil knives. We use them to quickly dig scattered Dallisgrass clumps in lawns as we are going over them. They have been very handy.

While it could work on Zombies I suppose, I don't really want to get that close to a zombie. For that, I would prefer the weapons I've seen on the "slingshot channel" on youtube. Joerg is pretty awesome.

Check out "toilet brush slingshot" on youtube.:laugh:

sprayboy
04-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Ted, I have seen this a little but not to the extent you have. My problem is the tank lid leaks around the threads. I believe GC has a vent that could get added to the lid.
Dultmeir has them( Polypropylene Vacuum Vent )Page 272 or the Blue Storage Tank section.

Are the rubber seals still stuck in the lids or are they lost? I have had mine come loose and drop out before but luckily have always found them.

sprayboy
04-10-2014, 09:15 PM
Zombies...
Posted via Mobile Device

I think I want something more than a knife..don't know what it would be though. lol

Raymond S.
04-10-2014, 10:20 PM
You've never lived til ya been arms length from a zombie. I suppose a Springfield 45 would work too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ArTurf
04-11-2014, 10:26 AM

Have you started Round 2 yet? What products do you typically use on round 2?

ted putnam
04-11-2014, 10:37 AM
I have about 2 more days of residentials to do. After that, I have 8 McDonalds and 64 Rent houses that I do for one guy(I'm in the wrong business), then we'll start R-2 late next week.

I spread dry 28-3-10 50%slow at .5 -.75lbs/1000 to start and we spot spray weeds with the usuals, 3 way, manor, etc...

As the grass greens up, I bump up the rate of fert. The lawns are a full month behind the usual for this time of year due to the prolonged and severe winter weather. We've gotten done with 2 guys this year what took 3 last year thanks to our Z's.

Thank you Z-Spray/LT Rich!

ArTurf
04-12-2014, 12:21 AM
I have about 2 more days of residentials to do. After that, I have 8 McDonalds and 64 Rent houses that I do for one guy(I'm in the wrong business), then we'll start R-2 late next week.

I spread dry 28-3-10 50%slow at .5 -.75lbs/1000 to start and we spot spray weeds with the usuals, 3 way, manor, etc...

As the grass greens up, I bump up the rate of fert. The lawns are a full month behind the usual for this time of year due to the prolonged and severe winter weather. We've gotten done with 2 guys this year what took 3 last year thanks to our Z's.

Thank you Z-Spray/LT Rich!

I figure you're doing fine or better at the business you're in. Have the windy days made it hard for you to work? Does it seem like there have been more than usual?

kbrashears
04-12-2014, 12:30 AM
I figure you're doing fine or better at the business you're in. Have the windy days made it hard for you to work? Does it seem like there have been more than usual?

April has been pretty much par for the course here. I've lost 3.5 days to wind and or rain. We had a good day today. My new guy is about ready to turn loose on his own Z...just waiting for my new 60gal Max to get here. Then we can really up our production. We are 1/2 way through r2 for us.

ted putnam
04-12-2014, 01:15 AM
April has been pretty much par for the course here. I've lost 3.5 days to wind and or rain. We had a good day today. My new guy is about ready to turn loose on his own Z...just waiting for my new 60gal Max to get here. Then we can really up our production. We are 1/2 way through r2 for us.

You do split apps of pre? Everyone around here has really struggled to get their first apps out...Except for Fairway Lawns. They're halfway through R-3 :laugh: (They do 7 or 8)

Yes rain, wind, and 4 inches of ice on the ground for a week (just less than 4 weeks ago) have made wrapping this up in a timely fashion extremely difficult. A balmy 83F yesterday. Go Figure

kbrashears
04-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Yes. We do split apps of pre. Post twice. We only spot from here on out and a pre in the fall.

Northern Turf Man
10-23-2014, 11:28 AM
So here's my contribution....

I purchased a 25 gal. aux tank from LT Rich to use for days when I'm doing high volume spraying (large apt. complexes, athletic fields, etc.) Switching from hopper to tank takes about 20 mins, just 6 bolts and quick connects on hoses, as well as removing hopper cables. Also, since I have an obsession with flashing lights on everything I own, I've had 6 Whelen flashing LED's installed on my Z. Four white Hide-A-Ways in the boom with an alternating pattern, as well as two amber TIR3's below the fert boxes in the rear. Wired up to a rocker switch in one of the factory aux switch holes. Looks like a factory install. Really helps with visibility on edges of roads and street corners, as well as really turns peoples heads driving by and draws attention to my work.

Here's a link to my FB page with a video of the lights:

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152095288995881&set=vb.531495880&type=3&theater

inzane
11-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Ok, so nothing major.. but I added a quick connect for the weedjet gun, and it has been really convenient to do areas quickly that i want to spray where i may not quite be able to get through a gate... or certain slopes i don't want to take a chance on.

I switch between the weedjet wand and the stock gun that came with the zspray (i use the one the z came with to trim around mailboxes and what not).

I'm Looking for any suggestions on how to mount the weed jet gun on the machine? like some type of clips or something i can bolt on where i can pop the thing on and off quickly when i'm not using it... so that if i'm driving down the road i can keep it in the tray without fear of it bouncing around or getting lost. I only take it out of my tool box when i know i'm gonna need it, and put it up when i'm done.

I wish the trays where big enough to hold my belly grinder spreader, then i'd be set.. lol. I think i need to work on that. I liked the milk crate mod i saw.

Northern Turf Man
11-14-2014, 12:26 PM
Ok, so nothing major.. but I added a quick connect for the weedjet gun, and it has been really convenient to do areas quickly that i want to spray where i may not quite be able to get through a gate... or certain slopes i don't want to take a chance on.

I switch between the weedjet wand and the stock gun that came with the zspray (i use the one the z came with to trim around mailboxes and what not).

I'm Looking for any suggestions on how to mount the weed jet gun on the machine? like some type of clips or something i can bolt on where i can pop the thing on and off quickly when i'm not using it... so that if i'm driving down the road i can keep it in the tray without fear of it bouncing around or getting lost. I only take it out of my tool box when i know i'm gonna need it, and put it up when i'm done.

I wish the trays where big enough to hold my belly grinder spreader, then i'd be set.. lol. I think i need to work on that. I liked the milk crate mod i saw.

My only concern with switching between the Z Gun and TeeJet or similar is that output volume will not match mix rate for both. For example, I mix 3-way at 4oz/gal to put out .33gal/1000 at boom. Even out of zGun for trimming I move quick to avoid burn. Wouldn't the 1.5-2gal/1000 output of TeeJet be way too hot? How have you overcome this? I've been trying to come up with a solution myself!

inzane
11-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Its actually a lawnjet gun from rittenhouse that i use http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=71 I got the nozzle needed for the output i'm going for .5 gal per 1k. (tk-2.5 http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=1080). I have to back down my PSI to 30 to get the .5 gal per minute. The bucket check looks good. I get .5 gal per minute out of the gun, pattern looks fine. So i spray out of the machine first, then if i gotta spray the backyard and can't get through the gate i adjust my PSI so i can use the gun and get same output out of the lawnjet. I keep a steady pace like i do when i spray out of the skid so i can cover 1k sq. ft. per minute. Seems to work fine. I'm the same way as you with the zgun when i use that, i just move fast.

My only concern with switching between the Z Gun and TeeJet or similar is that output volume will not match mix rate for both. For example, I mix 3-way at 4oz/gal to put out .33gal/1000 at boom. Even out of zGun for trimming I move quick to avoid burn. Wouldn't the 1.5-2gal/1000 output of TeeJet be way too hot? How have you overcome this? I've been trying to come up with a solution myself!

RigglePLC
11-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Remember you are traveling at 4 or 5 mph when spraying with the boom. Probably covering 4000 sqft per minute.
So...you have to sweep the same nozzle across the weeds at 4 mph. That is about 6 feet per second. Practice with water. Try to get the pattern of droplets to match your boom sprayer pattern on concrete.

inzane
11-15-2014, 01:53 PM
thats why i back the psi off from 40 (my psi that i spray with out of the boom) to 30 when i use the lawnjet. I did a bucket check and its right at half gallon per minute at 30 psi with the lawnjet. so, i had practiced with water in a 1,000 sq. ft. area until i was able to put down .5 gallon per k like that.. so it would seem to check out for me, and i wasn't over applying at my pace. droplets are very close to whats comming out the boom. so i'm assuming i got the right idea here? everything is dormant now or has been pretty close, probably little risk to damaging anything at this point as I just spray bermuda now.

I'm not a fan of using the lawnjet so far, It is so hard to figure out if i'm overlapping to much.. i think thats a concern of mine more than anything. Its hard to see the edges of the pattern some time. I guess it takes getting used to. but i do not use this much. every now and then when i have to.

Remember you are traveling at 4 or 5 mph when spraying with the boom. Probably covering 4000 sqft per minute.
So...you have to sweep the same nozzle across the weeds at 4 mph. That is about 6 feet per second. Practice with water. Try to get the pattern of droplets to match your boom sprayer pattern on concrete.