PDA

View Full Version : I lighted my first tree

santafe
11-27-2010, 08:44 PM
need opinions. a tree about 25 ft tall, distance around the perimeter at the base about 45ft, tree does not really come to a point even though it is an evergreen, it is about 35ft distance around the perimeter at the top, then it does have some what of a top. I have 450 ft of wire which have 1800 lights. I tried to space the lines about 24-30in apart. I charged $600.00. When I looked at it I thought...."ehhhh".:confused:

turf hokie
11-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Post a pic, but I would say your first mistake was using mini lights, your second mistake was a 45' tree with 1800 lights for $600 they should be thrilled with ehh

santafe
11-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I used c6 led, not mini. and it was 45ft around it at the bottom. the tree is about 25ft tall. if you still think that "ehhh" is what i should expect, then fine. That is what i need to know. Thanks for the comment.

hotrod1965
11-27-2010, 11:39 PM
I'd like to see a pic as well.... But you have to understand that not all evergreen trees are going to look that great. The fuller the branches, the better it will hold lights, the more you can put on ...ect.

santafe
11-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I think mabey that is part of my problem that there are not enough limbs higher up. I was thinking about "wire hangers" to be able to put the lights where i want them. i will try to get a pic but it may not come until tommorow(mon).

turf hokie
11-28-2010, 07:18 PM
Sorry, just figured that at 1800 lights you were not doing c-7 or c-9, especially at the 1800 number of lights and 450 ft of wire you stated. The lights and wire just dont make sense to me, but you are probably using lights that I am not familiar with

Site unseen what you think is ehhh might not be or could be....it is tough to tell.

Waiting on pics to give further opinions . thanks.

santafe
11-28-2010, 07:19 PM
here is the pic of the tree.

David Gretzmier
11-28-2010, 09:47 PM
when you are going to have light lines, I would have went up and down rather than round and round. also, what makes a tree lights look a bit better spaced if the bulb spacing was larger. I know you have already done the tree, but once you get over 20 foot tall, look at 9-12 inch spacing on c7 or c9 bulbs. over 40 foot tall you could look at 15 inch spacing on traditional c-7 or c-9 cord and use retro fit multi diode led's. more money in product for sure, but easier to redo on a year to basis because you can just replace bulbs here and there and there is not so much string effect.

turf hokie
12-02-2010, 09:00 PM
I have cleared up my confusion with the pic.

I had blinders on when I was thinking a large tree, just used to doing it our way.

I agree with David, up and done would give a cleaner look when using spacing as tight as you have there.

One step further on David's advice, we use 24" spacing on our c-9 trees, this allows us to "move" the lights around and not be able to see the strands of lights but give the tree a random full look.

It's up so I would leave it be, especially if the customer is ok with it....

addictedtolandscaping
12-03-2010, 05:16 AM
Looking at the shape of the tree, I think it came out pretty good. Tough to do a pyramid when it doesn't offer one. It looks well lit with the exception of the very top, but whats done is done. Now you have something to aim for next season.

I have a few coming up myself, and after reading Dave and Bryan's posts (as usual) I am also going to try the vertical positioning. I have gotten my foot into a high end neighborhood with these clients and really want to "wow" them all so to speak. I want in there bad enough that one client is basically getting things at my costs. None the less, remember the effect you are striving for is night time, you now have lit a piece that wasn't before, and generated a starting point. I would talk with the customer, tell them you want to do x,y,z next year. Tell them you are ok with the way it turned out, but you have some ideas in your head that will result in adding or changing lights around. Make them aware you are thinking about how to make it jump out for them.

santafe
12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks guys! i appreciate your advice.