PDA

View Full Version : how to clean leaves out of parks

str400ex
11-28-2010, 02:32 PM
we have the bid for leaf clean ups for several lake parks just wondering if anyone has any tips for the best way to go about it several have many trees we just have to have the leafs 25ft away from bathrooms and campsites. thanks Shawn

grassman177
11-28-2010, 03:15 PM
i would imagine that you should have this panned out if you had to bid on it?

str400ex
11-28-2010, 03:28 PM
i have plans and did have plans just wondering if there is a more efficient way of doing things i believe in working hard and smart thanks Shawn

FireFighterHill
11-28-2010, 03:36 PM
Id imagine a leaf vac and or a bagger system would be the way to go.

Think Green
11-28-2010, 04:06 PM
I am surmising that this is state parks. You are to remove the leaves 25 ft. from bathrooms, camping sites, or RV parkings,etc. The entire area is surrounded by woods,trees, and the usual natural things. I would gather that powerful blowers, bagging system, tarp and a way to haul the leaves to a site allocated for dumpage.
What is the preliminaries for your haul off procedures. Can you dump on or off site near the parks.
The topic is a little vague for me as our Lake Parks are maintained by the city and county trustees. If it were me..........I would opt to dump my remnants in the woods away from traffic. Campsites can be blown off into the woods and dispersed accordingly. RV parks...........the same way.
It is hard to help you judge the hours it will take without some pictures. Then it is hard to narrow down you capabilities and speed.

djagusch
11-28-2010, 04:22 PM
A hurricane vac would be nice if it can go in the woods.
Posted via Mobile Device

ed2hess
11-28-2010, 05:50 PM
I guess the challenge is getting them up without raising a lot of dust that might affect the campers?

str400ex
11-28-2010, 06:14 PM
parks will be closed we will be doing it in early spring

djagusch
11-28-2010, 06:18 PM
parks will be closed we will be doing it in early spring

Can you dump it on site? What do you own? Can a vehicle get to all areas? Do you own a leaf loader and dump unit? Are the woods close? How many campsites?

As you can see lots of variables, without much info given.
Posted via Mobile Device

ALC-GregH
11-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Blow them all back into the woods and be done. Heck, I'd had them done by now and paid if I was bidding on it.

Maybe call a buddy that fly's helicopters and have him fly out and hover over top the area? He could knock it out in just a few minutes.

yardguy28
11-28-2010, 08:44 PM
i'd do it the same way i do all of my fall clean ups.

get on the mower with the bagging system attached. make a pass over everything letting the bag fill up which will mulch up the leaves a bit. dump the bag and make the second pass.

if it's a little on the thick side, sometimes a third pass i needed, but i can usually get everything up 2 passes.

Meg-Mo
11-28-2010, 09:51 PM
Put the MEG MO blades on your mowers and the job is done.

Southern Pride
11-28-2010, 10:03 PM
mulch em' up! Saves an incredible amount of time. Just have to know the tricks. You'd obviously have to bag anything heavy and mulch the leaves that are thinly spread out and it would look great. Point is, use those machines anytime you can. Mulching kits. I doubt you could get a billy goat attached to a trailer in there. Then you would also have to deal with hauling and dump fees.

I did a quarter acre residential today. Bagged the bulk which was approximately (11) 60 gallon bags then I just spread out the remainder and mulched them up with a double cut, it looked great and saved me another couple hours.

slave2lawns
11-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I would haver to agree with yardguy.

Southern Pride
11-28-2010, 10:29 PM

lol this guy cracks me up. It doesn't matter what the topic is about you'll just see him saying that. Thread= What mower should I buy?

Just put on the Meg Mo blades!

haha, jk with you man. I'll prob end up trying them out this next season. Heard good things, and want a good mulching blade.

ALC-GregH
11-28-2010, 10:45 PM

just bolt them on and that's it? The job is done? Maybe I'll try them. Do I need a set for each property or does one set do the jobs all at the same time?

yardguy28
11-29-2010, 12:01 AM
mulch em' up! Saves an incredible amount of time. Just have to know the tricks. You'd obviously have to bag anything heavy and mulch the leaves that are thinly spread out and it would look great. Point is, use those machines anytime you can. Mulching kits. I doubt you could get a billy goat attached to a trailer in there. Then you would also have to deal with hauling and dump fees.

I did a quarter acre residential today. Bagged the bulk which was approximately (11) 60 gallon bags then I just spread out the remainder and mulched them up with a double cut, it looked great and saved me another couple hours.

do you seriously mess with putting them in bags? i just dump the catcher directly into the truck bed.

up until mid fall i can get a good 8-10 clients worth of leaves in my 6 foot pickup bed.

I would haver to agree with yardguy.

its worked quite well for me. a trick i learned from a friend in the business last season when i had a property that had an overwhelming amount of leaves.

he helped me do the job and thats how he did it. he was using a 60" lazer z with 3 bagger system. made one pass, emptied, made a second pass, emptied and a third since we had extra time and we were done.

i use a 52" grandstand with a rack em catcher. most times i only need to make 2 passes and i'm done.

before that i was stopping every row or every other to empty the catcher trying to get everything in one pass.

saves so much time and space in the truck bed.

i personally can't see using a mulching kit on leaves because they mulch them to fine for a second pass with a catcher. and using a mulcher around here leaves an underlying brown color to the turf that my clients don't like.

when i do leaves my clients want there lawn looking as green as it does in the spring and summer.

Big Wes
11-29-2010, 07:57 PM
Use Your Z mowers and grind all the leaves up into pulp and walk away. My son and I have never bagged any leaves in the last 10 years. All our properties get ground up/mulched and dispersed on/into the ground. Never any complaints from clients, yards look good when we're done and absolutely no bags left at curb or hauled away. We have people come by and comment on how good the yards look, they can't believe we don't bag by looking at the lawns when we're done. The particles that are left on the ground are so small they are unnoticeable and disappear with the slightest bit of dew, rain or watering. Yes we still have people watering their lawns here.

"Work Smarter not Harder"

yardguy28
11-29-2010, 08:44 PM
it should be noted that different areas with different types of grass will produce different results when mulching leaves.

around here no matter how fine the leaves are mulched to they create a very noticable underlying brown color.

clients in my neck of the woods don't like that underlying brown color.

also i never haul a single bag of leaves away or leave bags at the curb either. it amazes me how many people don't use there pick up beds to haul grass/leaves/debris. i mean after all thats part of why pick ups are used in this industry.

if your not going to haul debris in the bed you might as well pull your trailer with an SUV.

ALC-GregH
11-29-2010, 09:29 PM
it amazes me how many people don't use there pick up beds to haul grass/leaves/debris. i mean after all thats part of why pick ups are used in this industry.

if your not going to haul debris in the bed you might as well pull your trailer with an SUV.

That's ALL I use is my truck bed. I have 3ft front and side panels on it and have filled it with mulched up leaves piled over the top. I do the same with the trailer with 4ft sides.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0093-1.jpg?t=1291080457

yardguy28
11-29-2010, 10:20 PM
That's ALL I use is my truck bed. I have 3ft front and side panels on it and have filled it with mulched up leaves piled over the top. I do the same with the trailer with 4ft sides.

good to know someone is using the pick up for what it was intended.

i read so many posts in so many different threads about guys talking about not dirtying up the truck bed with grass/leaves and debris........:hammerhead:

my work truck is my personal truck and i keep it very clean and very nice. but i'm sure as hell not gonna put debris in bags when i can just walk up to the bed of the truck and dump the catcher or barrel full of debris into the bed in a matter of seconds. the truck bed can always be blown out with the blower and it gets a weekly sometimes bi weekly wash at the local car wash.